The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2024, 01:43 PM   #1
cj847

Re: "Midnight Rider" 1970 C10 SWB Fleetside

Thanks for the details on header fitment. I personally have never had a set that didn't have to be bent somewhere or other parts removed to make them work. Now, please put the plug wires on and check for spots that will get burned thru (ie requiring more modification)
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 07:40 PM   #2
omodified

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
Thanks for the details on header fitment. I personally have never had a set that didn't have to be bent somewhere or other parts removed to make them work. Now, please put the plug wires on and check for spots that will get burned thru (ie requiring more modification)
Thanks for the thought CJ. I didn't get a pic, but I did check the wires for clearance. For plug wires, I went with MSD Super conductors with a multi angle boot. These boots allow me to rotate the wires for maximum clearance to the hot stuff. I also have thermal plug wire shields that will go over them. More to come on all of that...
Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848
omodified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 08:13 PM   #3
omodified

Once I fit the new headers, I hit another snag with my exhaust plan. I realized the CPP transmission crossmember is directly in the path of the collectors. I will have to route the exhaust up and over. With it being 3", I wasn't sure if there would be enough room to do this. So, I ordered the perfect solution. Here is the Dirty Dingo DD-C10-TRANS crossmember. This will allow me to run the exhaust along the same plane as the collectors. This will work so much better!

This crossmember is nice because of the clearance it offers but also the transmission adjustability. However, I had already matched up the pinion angle to the previous transmission location. So, to make installation easier, I documented the angle of the transmission before I removed the old crossmember and I used a laser to paint a line back to the pinion. This will ensure the transmission gets centered correctly.

Installation turned out great. Will swap out for nickel plated hardware at a later date. Look at all the room for activities!!!

Board Member #87725
Old 06-25-2024, 10:03 PM   #4
omodified

One thing I realized when I had the short headers installed was that I wanted all of my exhaust to use v-band connections. The long tube headers did not come with any type of flange on the collector. I bought v-bands with clamps from Speed Engineering which need to be welded on. I had a friend from work help me with the TIG welding cause I knew he would easily be able to match the quality already found on theses headers.

Once everything was welded in place, I took a barrel sander to the inside and smoothed everything out. I even smoothed out the welds inside the primary tubes. Now, off to Jet-Hot for some coating!!!

Board Member #87725