The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2024, 06:35 PM   #1
Old Glory

LS conversion with Saginaw 3 speed

Has anyone completed an LS swap using the Saginaw 3 speed to maintain the nostalgia of the 3 speed column shifter? If so how difficult is it and how well has it worked?
Old Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 07:00 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: LS conversion with Saginaw 3 speed

I am also interested in this.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 07:58 PM   #3
jumpsoffrock

That would be a lot of work just to go bakwards. Kinda like setting up one of those expensive retro bluetooth USB radios only to run it in mono.

I have a feeling most folks who went through the effort to LS their truck wouldn't spend even more time and money sticking with a non-OD trans that has to be adapted and potentially mounted differently. I always figured LS-swapping an old car main advantage is opening up trans options.
Hope you find an answer.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 08:20 PM   #4
Old Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
That would be a lot of work just to go bakwards. Kinda like setting up one of those expensive retro bluetooth USB radios only to run it in mono.

I have a feeling most folks who went through the effort to LS their truck wouldn't spend even more time and money sticking with a non-OD trans that has to be adapted and potentially mounted differently. I always figured LS-swapping an old car main advantage is opening up trans options.
Hope you find an answer.
Definitely agree with all that but if you’ve ever run a three on the tree through the gears, you can’t put a price on that. Maybe the torque of the LS would allow for a high rear end ratio to improve the cruising rpm’s. The inline 250 is definitely screaming at 65 lol.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:34 PM   #5
LS short box

My 68 C10 started out with a column 3 speed shifter. I'd be a bit worried since the 3 speed trans didn't have a trans mount and would the LS like the trans just hanging off the bell housing? Also trans/LS engine crank pilot bearing?
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 08:52 PM   #6
Jim Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Glory View Post
Definitely agree with all that but if you’ve ever run a three on the tree through the gears, you can’t put a price on that. Maybe the torque of the LS would allow for a high rear end ratio to improve the cruising rpm’s. The inline 250 is definitely screaming at 65 lol.
At 65 is when I turn up the radio and get another 10 out off her and I don't hear her scream. Keep on truckin eh!
Jim Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 09:06 PM   #7
geezer#99

What screaming!
It’s only turning 2900 rpm.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 10:07 PM   #8
Old Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post

Hope you find an answer.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:17 PM   #9
71 super

I have used four speeds with the Ls platform. There is a couple of issues that you will have. 1. You will need the scrog and Dickey pivot in the short version - roughly $60 through summit due to lack of a pivot provision on Ls . 2. You can use the stock bell housing but may need to trim an ear at the lower flat where the inspection cover bolts on due to interference with oxygen sensor in headers- the speed engineering are cheap and fit well for long tubes 3. The bell crank will have to be modified slightly by cutting 1/2 inch off side the goes into pivot at block and using a boring bar to make the pivot slide into the bell crank deeper. 4. Use ls7 pilot bearing, a 99 6.0 or 4.8 flywheel and clutch assembly, they will give full clutch coverage and are 10 spline units. 5. You will possibly need a longer drive shaft and also the shift linkage rods make need modification. You should be able to use stock crossmember for trans .6. Gauges may be issue for water temp, oil pressure can be made to work with stock cluster with no issue- Ict billet is your friend for brackets and assorted pieces. 7. Do it, it is yours and it is fun to figure out the pieces and parts. Finished 68 c10 last fall, did 62 nova wagon over winter and just installed a 4 speed in 68 Camaro with 5.3 this week using ALL stock components - had to have a 52.5 drive shaft, original was 50, modify the trans mount slightly and lengthen the original hole for shifter by 2” as well as move console forward 3”. It can be done! Have fun and get after it.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 06:43 AM   #10
Old Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
I have used four speeds with the Ls platform. There is a couple of issues that you will have. 1. You will need the scrog and Dickey pivot in the short version - roughly $60 through summit due to lack of a pivot provision on Ls . 2. You can use the stock bell housing but may need to trim an ear at the lower flat where the inspection cover bolts on due to interference with oxygen sensor in headers- the speed engineering are cheap and fit well for long tubes 3. The bell crank will have to be modified slightly by cutting 1/2 inch off side the goes into pivot at block and using a boring bar to make the pivot slide into the bell crank deeper. 4. Use ls7 pilot bearing, a 99 6.0 or 4.8 flywheel and clutch assembly, they will give full clutch coverage and are 10 spline units. 5. You will possibly need a longer drive shaft and also the shift linkage rods make need modification. You should be able to use stock crossmember for trans .6. Gauges may be issue for water temp, oil pressure can be made to work with stock cluster with no issue- Ict billet is your friend for brackets and assorted pieces. 7. Do it, it is yours and it is fun to figure out the pieces and parts. Finished 68 c10 last fall, did 62 nova wagon over winter and just installed a 4 speed in 68 Camaro with 5.3 this week using ALL stock components - had to have a 52.5 drive shaft, original was 50, modify the trans mount slightly and lengthen the original hole for shifter by 2” as well as move console forward 3”. It can be done! Have fun and get after it.
Awesome, thank you
Old 06-25-2024, 03:02 PM   #11
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

here are some links with part #'s that were posted when I asked this question. I have actually started gathering some of the cheaper stuff to put on the shelf for when my 307 takes a dump.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=850302

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 03:37 PM   #12
MikeB

Even if you can get it installed, a Saginaw 3-speed wasn't designed to handle a lot of torque. Even the late 70s/early 80s model with the tallest 1st gear ratio (for reduced torque multiplication) was intended to live behind a stock 350 that made 275 lb/ft torque or less.

So, I'd be concerned using one behind an LS engine, unless it was a stock 4.8 or 5.3.

Then again, I've read were they are used in some dirt track race cars, but I wonder if those even use first gear.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 07:16 PM   #13
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Even if you can get it installed, a Saginaw 3-speed wasn't designed to handle a lot of torque. Even the late 70s/early 80s model with the tallest 1st gear ratio (for reduced torque multiplication) was intended to live behind a stock 350 that made 275 lb/ft torque or less.

So, I'd be concerned using one behind an LS engine, unless it was a stock 4.8 or 5.3.

Then again, I've read were they are used in some dirt track race cars, but I wonder if those even use first gear.
That was my plan to find a stock 4.8. I would think it will be fine for my purpose as a cruiser. My hot rodding days are behind me.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 07:19 PM   #14
RichardJ

>>Definitely agree with all that but if you’ve ever run a three on the tree through the gears, you can’t put a price on that.<<

Ya, $0.00 There's nothing sexy, useful or nostalgic about shifting a "H" pattern on a column.
I have driven many late 40s, 50s and 60s vehicles with a column shift and hated every one of them. Actually, I drove a few floor shift 3-spd cars and didn't like them much either.

Swapping the 3-spd in my GMC for a SM465 put a smile on my face, even though I still had a 3-spd + granny. I do have use for that 1st gear granny on a number of occasions.
Would I like a truck 5-spd? Sure, but never a 3-spd column.

>>The inline 250 is definitely screaming at 65 lol.<<

I swapped the factory 4.56 rear gear for 3.54 gears and drive in the fast lane at 75 all day with the AC on listening to the radio. I drive the GMC more than my 6.4 RAM 3500.
Old 06-25-2024, 08:23 PM   #15
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
>>Definitely agree with all that but if you’ve ever run a three on the tree through the gears, you can’t put a price on that.<<

Ya, $0.00 There's nothing sexy, useful or nostalgic about shifting a "H" pattern on a column.
I have driven many late 40s, 50s and 60s vehicles with a column shift and hated every one of them. Actually, I drove a few floor shift 3-spd cars and didn't like them much either.
It's totally cool that you're replying to him, I'm not complaing about ther lol......but FWIW........
his quote was actually replying to my initial post and what makes that funny is that I actually daily drive an "off-brand" truck with an I6 and 3-on-the-tree.

I wanted an OD manual trans but after a few years I realized I actually really like the extra space from not having a shifter on the floor, makes having 3 people in the truck bearable.

My point is: while OP might be making things hard for himself, I understand what a guy likes about a column shift, I drive one every day.

Side note: my truck is old and has 3.92 gears, it is slow and revvs relatively high for each given speed. and that sucks.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 01:24 AM   #16
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Quote Then again, I've read were they are used in some dirt track race cars, but I wonder if those even use first gear.

We ran a three speed in our B Mod Dirt car. 2019 Ca State Champion
Used 2nd to get rolling then 3rd and to the floor. They don’t always last a season
Attached Images

2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote