The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2024, 09:42 PM   #1
ProjectDD
Paint, Body & Metalworker

Axle Under Truck Arm? & 5Lug>6Lug?

I've done some googling, which mostly entails this site as search results. I'm curious, could you mount the axle below the truck arm? Obviously the mount needs swapped to the top side of the tube. Also, can I convert the 12bolt rear to 6 lug by swapping axles and brakes? I have to ID my rear as to whether it's an early or later year housing for width. I'm not against get axles made for the width I need. I just don't see the need to swap to a larger rear end when my current one is posi.

I'm looking at potentially converting my 2wd to 4wd. Wondering if I could run a truck arm setup in the rear vs making a 4 link. Thinking swapping the axle to below would give me a lift or get me to 4x4 height. Also looking at Dana 44s for the front and most are 6 or 8 lug. So hence the, convert the rear 12bolt to 6 lug.

Thanks for any insight
ProjectDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 10:53 PM   #2
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Smile Re: Axle Under Truck Arm? & 5Lug>6Lug?

i'm assuming your truck is a 71 or 72, if so you can use axles from a 71 or 72 4x4 to get 6 lugs, use a GM dana 44 from a 1/2 ton for 6 lug front. just move your rear mounting pads to the top of the housing- make sure your driveline angle is correct before you weld them. swapping to leaf springs in the front is pretty straight forward, you'll need the 4x4 spring brackets, and crossmembers for the engine and transfer case. i just sent the last of my 4x4 stuff to two different board members a month or so back, but i'm sure other members can help you out with everything you need.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 01:28 AM   #3
ProjectDD

Re: Axle Under Truck Arm? & 5Lug>6Lug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry moss View Post
i'm assuming your truck is a 71 or 72, if so you can use axles from a 71 or 72 4x4 to get 6 lugs, use a GM dana 44 from a 1/2 ton for 6 lug front. just move your rear mounting pads to the top of the housing- make sure your driveline angle is correct before you weld them. swapping to leaf springs in the front is pretty straight forward, you'll need the 4x4 spring brackets, and crossmembers for the engine and transfer case. i just sent the last of my 4x4 stuff to two different board members a month or so back, but i'm sure other members can help you out with everything you need.

I did read about using the 4x4 axles if it's a later year rear. I'm not positive what I have. My truck is a bit of a heinz 57. It's titled a 67 but doesn't have the 67's steering setup. Front clip is 71/72, bed is 67. I believe the cab is a 67 but it doesn't have the firewall dent that's shown in the identification thread on here. So if I have a 71/72 rear I can get stock axles and if it's a earlier one, I have to get axles made.

I have been eying up Dana 44s from square bodies on marketplace.

I'm not ruling it out, using stock style stuff, but this project is something for me to stretch my fabrication muscles. I don't get to do much with the work I have lined up and I've been itching to build stuff. So I'm currently down the rabbit hole of link style front suspensions. Also currently on the table is grafting/cutting/welding etc a front frame clip from a newer truck. There's a 2000 gmc 2500 front clip locally for $200 with everything but steering box. I'm intrigued with the independent front suspension.

All rabbit hole stuff right now. Thanks for the reply and that info is added to the equation, lol.
Old 06-26-2024, 01:38 AM   #4
Richard

The flip from over to under lift will net around 4"-5". I put a 4-link on the front of my K10. Check out my build thread for details. Maybe some inspiration for you.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 03:51 AM   #5
67 twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectDD View Post
I did read about using the 4x4 axles if it's a later year rear. I'm not positive what I have. My truck is a bit of a heinz 57. It's titled a 67 but doesn't have the 67's steering setup. Front clip is 71/72, bed is 67. I believe the cab is a 67 but it doesn't have the firewall dent that's shown in the identification thread on here. So if I have a 71/72 rear I can get stock axles and if it's a earlier one, I have to get axles made.

I have been eying up Dana 44s from square bodies on marketplace.

I'm not ruling it out, using stock style stuff, but this project is something for me to stretch my fabrication muscles. I don't get to do much with the work I have lined up and I've been itching to build stuff. So I'm currently down the rabbit hole of link style front suspensions. Also currently on the table is grafting/cutting/welding etc a front frame clip from a newer truck. There's a 2000 gmc 2500 front clip locally for $200 with everything but steering box. I'm intrigued with the independent front suspension.

All rabbit hole stuff right now. Thanks for the reply and that info is added to the equation, lol.
You shouldn't have to have any axles made. The older stuff was all 6 lug & if you have 71 or 72 rear end you just need axles from a 4x4
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM   #6
ProjectDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
The flip from over to under lift will net around 4"-5". I put a 4-link on the front of my K10. Check out my build thread for details. Maybe some inspiration for you.
I will check it out for sure. I wonder where that 4-5" of lift puts the rear in comparison to a stock 4x4? As of now, 33s are as big as I want to go to keep it a useable truck. Just enough ride height that I can tuck them under full compression without rubbing. Seems 2.5" of lift is about the sweet spot on the 4x4 models with 33s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
You shouldn't have to have any axles made. The older stuff was all 6 lug & if you have 71 or 72 rear end you just need axles from a 4x4
I have a 5x5 12 bolt and that's all I know about it until I jack it up and measure the width. I was under the assumption there are 5 lug rears in 67 and that's why I said I'd potentially by axles as they are more narrow then the 71/72.
Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM   #7
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

If it is an original 5 lug axle, it is from a 71 and newer 2wd.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM   #8
ProjectDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
If it is an original 5 lug axle, it is from a 71 and newer 2wd.
Good to know. I have assumptions that my truck was pieced together and most likely had it's vin tag swapped to a matching title. Doesn't matter to me as I didn't buy it with originality in mind.
Old Today, 01:05 AM   #9
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectDD View Post
I will check it out for sure. I wonder where that 4-5" of lift puts the rear in comparison to a stock 4x4? As of now, 33s are as big as I want to go to keep it a useable truck. Just enough ride height that I can tuck them under full compression without rubbing. Seems 2.5" of lift is about the sweet spot on the 4x4 models with 33s.
Post #118 in my build thread has a pic of tape measure to top of rear fender arch. Stock height with 31x10.5x15 tires. Would guess springs may have sagged a bit though.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:51 PM   #10
ProjectDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Post #118 in my build thread has a pic of tape measure to top of rear fender arch. Stock height with 31x10.5x15 tires. Would guess springs may have sagged a bit though.
Ok, so I have 28" tall tires and my gap between the top of the tire and fender is the same as yours. Subtract the 1.5" to make the tire size the same and your 4x4 sits 1.5" taller then my Heinz 57 2wd lol. So, I'd assume yours have sagged a bit but I wouldn't trust my truck as a good measuring point to start with. Lets say your 4x4 is down 1-1.5" with tired springs and a 4x4 is supposed to sit 2.5-3" taller in the rear. The axle swap on a 2wd would put it round a 1.5-2" lift on a 4x4. Which would be ideal for wanting to run 33s.