The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2024, 01:28 AM   #3
ProjectDD
Paint, Body & Metalworker

Re: Axle Under Truck Arm? & 5Lug>6Lug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry moss View Post
i'm assuming your truck is a 71 or 72, if so you can use axles from a 71 or 72 4x4 to get 6 lugs, use a GM dana 44 from a 1/2 ton for 6 lug front. just move your rear mounting pads to the top of the housing- make sure your driveline angle is correct before you weld them. swapping to leaf springs in the front is pretty straight forward, you'll need the 4x4 spring brackets, and crossmembers for the engine and transfer case. i just sent the last of my 4x4 stuff to two different board members a month or so back, but i'm sure other members can help you out with everything you need.

I did read about using the 4x4 axles if it's a later year rear. I'm not positive what I have. My truck is a bit of a heinz 57. It's titled a 67 but doesn't have the 67's steering setup. Front clip is 71/72, bed is 67. I believe the cab is a 67 but it doesn't have the firewall dent that's shown in the identification thread on here. So if I have a 71/72 rear I can get stock axles and if it's a earlier one, I have to get axles made.

I have been eying up Dana 44s from square bodies on marketplace.

I'm not ruling it out, using stock style stuff, but this project is something for me to stretch my fabrication muscles. I don't get to do much with the work I have lined up and I've been itching to build stuff. So I'm currently down the rabbit hole of link style front suspensions. Also currently on the table is grafting/cutting/welding etc a front frame clip from a newer truck. There's a 2000 gmc 2500 front clip locally for $200 with everything but steering box. I'm intrigued with the independent front suspension.

All rabbit hole stuff right now. Thanks for the reply and that info is added to the equation, lol.
ProjectDD is offline   Reply With Quote