The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 06:22 PM   #1
aotte1

1983 K10 windshield Washer Tank Pump Mod

Question on modifying/replacing the windshield washer pump for a 1983 K10 from wiper motor to 1986 washer tank. Think pump on tank started in 1984 with wiper/washer control move to column stick from dash.
Can I modify the 1983 washer activation wiring, for use with a newer tank/pump set up?

Photos of 1983 windshield washer pump below. The two wires on the right are one pink and other white. The two wires on left are black with a blue strip, and other color ?? gray, green ?

The pump on tank wiring maybe two wires a pink and a white. Last photo is of pump on tank for squarebody.

Have not purchased newer tank and pump yet, to do any testing. Hoping somebody has already researched/implemented this pump wiring change.
Attached Images

Last edited by aotte1; Today at 06:53 PM.
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:13 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: 1983 K10 windshield Washer Tank Pump Mod

I did this on my 75. One of the two wires that go to the existing pump also runs to the washer button in the cab. The button grounds that wire. I connected that wire to one side of a relay coil so pressing the button activates the relay. The other side of the relay coil goes to +12v as does one side of the NO relay contacts. The other side of the NO contact goes to the +12 side of the washer motor. On the washer tank/motor combo I have, the white is the +12 and the red is ground.

The OEM pump colors on my 75 are different then your 83. Test yours with a VOM.

You could skip the relay but I don't know the current capacity of the OEM washer switch. It is designed to be a momentary contact and the OEM washer gizmo does the rest of the magic. The relay is cheap insurance against having to replace the OEM washer switch due to over current.

You may have to drill one hole on the fender wall if the OEM tank is a different width then the combo tank.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote