The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 01:55 PM   #1
thedudeabides86

Steering Column/Gear question

Hey everybody,

How's it going? I have a question about my steering column. When I put my 72 C20 in reverse, the shifter drops a tad and doesn't make contact with the backup lights. What might cause this issue? If I hold the shifter in place where the R is on the plastic guide, the backup lights will be on, but if I let go, it drops a little. It's still in reverse and will back up, it's just the slight drop of the shifter I wonder about. Is there something in the column that might be worn making this happen? I've attached a picture of where the indicator sits when I'm not holding up the shift lever. Hopefully, this makes sense? I should mention, when I put the truck in drive, I can lift up on the shifter and it will drop down into the gear per se, not allowing you to bump it out of gear unless you pull back on the lever. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old Today, 07:09 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: Steering Column/Gear question

I have limited experience, but others will probably chime in and correct me. There is a detent mechanism on the steering column in the engine compartment, if it has sharp edges and doesn't slope off where it exits the reverse position that would help. My steering column rebuilder guy said mine was worn and he did some work on that section so it's in better condition. I don't have a before picture of it that I can find but here's a current picture.
Name:  2024-07-25 17.55.40.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  48.3 KB
I understand there is also a detent mechanism in the transmission to make the different positions of the lever on the transmission click into place. These things need to be adjusted to work in harmony. You can turn off the engine, chock your wheels, set brakes, temporally disconnect your linkage and click the transmission lever through the gears and see if it seems to still have some gusto in the detents.

Last edited by dmjlambert; Today at 08:01 PM. Reason: clarity
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:53 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Steering Column/Gear question

To amplify what dmjlambert said. I've pointed to wear areas on the detent. The red arrows point to the contact areas that the selector (Yellow arrow) rubs on. On high mileage, low maintenance vehicles the selector may have worn the high areas off the detents. A bit of grease from time to time will cut down on this wear.

There are two adjustments associated with your problem. First is to do as dmjlambert posted and verify the transmission detents are working. Then reconnect the linkage and check to see if the shift indicator points correctly. If the pointer is too far one way or the other you can adjust it at the linkage where it connects to the column.

In the second photo the green arrow points to the lock nut on the linkage adjuster. Once loose you can slide the linkage up and down as shown by the red arrow. The idea being you loosen the nut and place the shift indicator where you want it and retightened the nut.

The second adjustment has to do with the neutral safety switch on the top of the steering column. (Photo #3 green arrow) There is are 2 hex headed screws that hold the switch on the column. The screws go through slotted holes that allow the switch to be adjusted (Red arrow)so the starter will only operate if the truck is in park or neutral. In addition the reverse light switch in in the same block. Occasionally the tab on the switch is so worn or damaged that the switch won't operate correctly. For example the reverse lights may only work when coming from park but not from drive.

I hope this helps if not just ask and we will figure it out.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote