The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM   #1
Chilly178

GM 12 bolt truetrac help

Hi I recently rebuilt my rear axle out of my 67 C10 put in a new true trac pn 913A315 and these holley conversion axles pn 02-119. I put the axles in with the new clips. In the kit with the trutrac it gave me a steel pin and a plug with a C clip. In the diagram for the trutrac it shoes a spacer instead of a pin. Anyways when I went to put the pin in it is kinda tight going in. I could probably get it in if i tapped it with a hammer. I'm not 100 percent certain but I thought it said in the directions that is is supposed to have some axle end play. Is there supposed to be some end play?
Attached Images

Last edited by Chilly178; Today at 11:48 AM.
Chilly178 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM   #2
LS short box

Re: GM 12 bolt truetrac help

Looking for others to step in but when I did my 12 bolt with a Tru Trac I had to grind a bit off the spacer. I would check with Detroit Inc and see what they would like to see clearance wise.
LS short box is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:39 AM   #3
A1971Blazer

I used stock axles for mine, but the pin went in easily, along with the cover and snap ring.
Also, I don't recall checking for end play on the axles, but I'm in 800 miles and all seems to be well. It works perfectly.
You may want to pull outwardly on the axles to insure the C clip is seated fully in the side gears.
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:43 PM   #4
Bob B.

Since you have a pin and not a spacer I think you would probably want to take a little off the ends of the axle shafts. Your first move is make sure the C-clips are seating as A1971Blazer suggested, and compare your new Holley axles to the stock ones. I would call Eaton to be sure.

BTW, I put a Truetrac in my '67 and couldn't be happier with it. I have a full floating Dana 60 so no issues with the shafts, no C-clips.
Old Today, 01:50 PM   #5
Chilly178

Ok so stupidly I already junked the old axles so I don't have anything to compare, but I looked at the length of the shafts and they are listed as 30 3/4" which i believe is the standard. I also tried removing the new C clips and putting in the old ones to no avail. I called Eaton and they informed me to make sure the axles are all the way out, and if not it could be two different problems/measurements. Either the butt length of the axle is too long or the groove cut for the c clip isn't wide enough. The axle end play should be around .015". I don't have a stock axle to compare it to. I'm thinking i could take some measurements when I get home, does anyone have any 67 axles laying around we could compare any differences?

Last edited by Chilly178; Today at 02:04 PM.
Chilly178 is online now   Reply With Quote