The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM   #1
WorkinLonghorn

Have to sell. Is it rare?

Hi there. After owning this truck since 1996, purchased from the estate of the original owner, I need to sell it (knee issues). I'm working on what to say in the listing and don't want to overstate what it is. Is a New Process close ratio 4spd. considered "rare"? I sure don't see or hear about them ever. Is a "Longhorn" (8 1/2 Ft. bed) considered "rare" or just very uncommon.
I'm not sure if I'm up-to-date on my dues here so not sure if I can ask a "what's it worth" question without being shot but I really have no clue at all. It has a new high quality clutch and a GM crate 350 Ci. with about 5K on it.
Anyway long story short, can I say "rare NP 435 transmission" and "rare longhorn-style bed"? How about "rare factory tach dash"?
It's worth a lot more to me than the market will bear I'm sure, but I still don't know where to start or how to list it. Thanks, Brian
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, stereo speakers, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Have to sell. Is it rare?

Your name is bold and blue, so you are paid up. Someone will chime in with the numbers, but I don't think that Longhorns are particularly rare. Trans and tach, I can't help with those, for rarity considerations.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM   #3
57taskforce
All about them K’s

The 435 was more common in the fords than the GM stuff from my experience. I would say that’s probably the most rare thing you’ve posted so far. How rare though I’m truthfully not sure. And I don’t think it’s gonna affect the price a ton either way honestly. I wouldn’t consider a tach or longhorn truck rare by any means but definitely less common. I would say post some pictures up and give us a better idea what we are dealing with to get some better $numbers.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #4
WorkinLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
The 435 was more common in the fords than the GM stuff from my experience. I would say that’s probably the most rare thing you’ve posted so far. How rare though I’m truthfully not sure. And I don’t think it’s gonna affect the price a ton either way honestly. I wouldn’t consider a tach or longhorn truck rare by any means but definitely less common. I would say post some pictures up and give us a better idea what we are dealing with to get some better $numbers.
Well, she's a little camera-shy at the moment. Maybe after I get all my stuff out of it and get her cleaned up a bit.
The Ford NP 435 was not the same as the GM "close ratio" one. Mine has a 4.56 1st gear. The Fords and Dodge versions all had the deep "granny" low designed for getting a heavy trailer going. The CR one was ordered for those planning to carry only a camper in the bed. With highway gears and/or tall tires, this one can be used like an ordinary 4spd. -Brian
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, stereo speakers, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme.
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM   #5
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Well, she's a little camera-shy at the moment. Maybe after I get all my stuff out of it and get her cleaned up a bit.
The Ford NP 435 was not the same as the GM "close ratio" one. Mine has a 4.56 1st gear. The Fords and Dodge versions all had the deep "granny" low designed for getting a heavy trailer going. The CR one was ordered for those planning to carry only a camper in the bed. With highway gears and/or tall tires, this one can be used like an ordinary 4spd. -Brian
That is coreect the GM units being close ratio have different gearing, but I was more referring to the 435 transmission as a whole. Sorry I was a little vague there. GM obviously had their own granny low 420 and 465 transmissions in the 67-72 years.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM   #6
WorkinLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
That is coreect the GM units being close ratio have different gearing, but I was more referring to the 435 transmission as a whole. Sorry I was a little vague there. GM obviously had their own granny low 420 and 465 transmissions in the 67-72 years.
I'll get 'er cleaned up and post some pictures. I've been on this site for 18 years and never heard of another member with this transmission so I might list it as rare.

Also, there used to be an old spedo-repair shop on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood
and when I took this truck in there in the '90s, the guy working there said it was the first 67-72 he had seen with this option. I know there are retrofit kits that many guys upgrade with nowadays so maybe I'll post fac-tach but omit "rare" wording. Ok, thanks, Back later with the ugly pictures.
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

In my opinion I don't believe any of those items listed are going to affect the price the way that a solid rust free body will. We all know that rust repairs generally run in the 10's of thousands of dollars

The sad facts are a tach is an easily available addition. The obsession over short beds in most folks mind mean a Longhorn is just 6 inches more scrap metal, and the transmission is just another 3 speed with a granny that needs to be replaced with a 5 speed behind an LS .

I'm not trying to be rude just pointing out what most buyers see these days. I feel bad for you that you can no longer enjoy your truck and I sincerely hope you find a buyer who shares your love of the truck and is willing to pay your price.

The big multiplier for our trucks is obviously, is it a Cheyenne, CST or a Super?
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM   #8
Sheepdip

HO455 speaks the truth/facts.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:00 AM   #9
Lokin4AReason

rare doesnt alway mean valuable is some things