The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 11:24 AM   #1
Kalums

Question Another radiator thread

Simple as the title says... I need a radiator, the one I have, after pressurizing it, has pin holes from top to bottom and I only got 12lbs of pressure in it before they all showed up(did I mention it is aluminium garbage cheapy). Also it is only a 2 vane?? Not sure whose idea that was... I'd appreciate any help finding a 4 vane (row) with trans cooler, and A/C hook ups (do they even make them or is it a unicorn of rads?),as I'm planning on having A/C in it by next summer. As a bonus I'd love to add electric fan(s) & shroud... The Google overlords inform me that none of these things exist... ( I swear the internet hates me)

I apologize ahead of time for the punctuation errors... I've been up most of the night :/
Kalums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:48 PM   #2
72SB

Re: Another radiator thread

actually 2 larger core, 1 1/4"-1 1/2", cools better than 4 smaller ones.

I have a Cold Case in one car and a FSR (four seasons radiator). The FSR is considerably more $ and I never had any problem with it.

The Cold Case cooled well but after a few years developed a small leak. It, like FSR, has a lifetime warranty. CC replaced it promptly

If you go EL fans, don't go cheap or you will spend a lot of time on the side of the road. SPAHL brushless fans but they cost $. Also need 2 good relay feeds, likely 30 amps each so you will need a 100 amp ALT

IMHO a 7 blade fan with clutch and stock fan shroud if its a V8 truck is the way to go.
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:55 PM   #3
Kalums

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
actually 2 larger core, 1 1/4"-1 1/2", cools better than 4 smaller ones.

I have a Cold Case in one car and a FSR (four seasons radiator). The FSR is considerably more $ and I never had any problem with it.

The Cold Case cooled well but after a few years developed a small leak. It, like FSR, has a lifetime warranty. CC replaced it promptly

If you go EL fans, don't go cheap or you will spend a lot of time on the side of the road. SPAHL brushless fans but they cost $. Also need 2 good relay feeds, likely 30 amps each so you will need a 100 amp ALT

IMHO a 7 blade fan with clutch and stock fan shroud if its a V8 truck is the way to go.
I'm not sure what kind of 2 row this one is... It is just thin(depth) and I only see two narrow rows when I look inside (under the cap)... After putting 12lbs of pressure in it it leaks like Swiss cheese, near all three necks and at almost every solder joint. The fan that I currently have is the 5 blade and the clutch is bad... Because it is siezed (won't spin when engine isn't running and always on) so I was just planning on upgrading while I was swapping parts.
Old Today, 01:15 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

NAPA has a four-row radiator. It's made of aluminum. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RNRNR369A

If you upgrade to it, you will need to change out the top and bottom mounts, as the two-row mounts are too small.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:12 PM   #5
PbFut

If you must go EF and aluminum Champion has a fairly priced decent kit. That being said, order the better fans. Having said all that, I agree, it is better to use a factory fan setup. Our electrical system is not capable of powering the fans without some mods to alternator and main harness.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:21 PM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I replaced the factory 4-row radiator with a cheapy no-name brand ($125 bucks) eBay 2 row aluminum radiator in a 1972 GMC back in 2007. That truck had a pretty rowdy 350 in it, and that radiator worked flawlessly. Now my stepson owns the truck with an even rowdier 400 in it and that same radiator cools it just fine.

It has the larger 4-row style tanks on it so it fit perfectly in the 4-row saddles.

Edit: I also use a 6-blade fan with a clutch and the stock fan shroud.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; Today at 04:14 PM.
GASoline71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:32 PM   #7
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
If you must go EF and aluminum Champion has a fairly priced decent kit. That being said, order the better fans. Having said all that, I agree, it is better to use a factory fan setup. Our electrical system is not capable of powering the fans without some mods to alternator and main harness.

Back in 2018 I bough the Champion rad and EL fan kit. Didn't use the rad but used the shroud and dual 14" fans I bought from Champion/Ledfoot. They caused me a lot of cooling issues as they were cheap generic fans that I could replace for 40 bucks each Online. They were rated at 12Amps and 1200CFM each which is a massive stretch. I had to replace them with expensive spal units.

Total waste of funds.

-Kevin
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:35 PM   #8
Kalums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
NAPA has a four-row radiator. It's made of aluminum. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RNRNR369A

If you upgrade to it, you will need to change out the top and bottom mounts, as the two-row mounts are too small.
That one says out of stock near me and unable to ship😩
Old Today, 02:47 PM   #9
clay68c10

Aluminum tanks
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RNRNR369A

Plastic tanks
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NRCNR369A

The other usual big name parts stores probably have similar.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:18 PM   #10
CanadianNascar

I just had my 4 core factory rad re cored, $900 Canadian.
I think if you go electric fans, proper shroud is still very important.
CanadianNascar is offline   Reply With Quote