The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2024, 04:54 AM   #1
Gumby83

6372TCA-LAB Control Arms + D2600 Air Bags

Hey fellas, this is more or less a PSA for future fellas who have this issue. Classic Performance Parts or CPP offers a Lower control arm for air bags which sounds dandy. But the bags supported for these LCA's are tiny things that don't offer much travel and require a harsher ride quality due to the higher pressures required.. Infact, CPP doesn't have this information listed anywhere, you need to call them to figure this out. so most guys are going to try to run a 2600 series air bag which will rub on the bump stop bracket and will unfortunately end up like me. I got stranded after both front air bags blew out while driving around. This is infuriating because after about 10 seconds of looking at the lower control arm, its obvious that there are different mounting locations for the bump stop that would of allowed any air bag to be used. Anywho, it takes about 4 hours to modify the LCA's on the truck to accept larger air bags and still retain bump stops for when you park/air out on a truck with stock inner fenders.

1. With no wheel on, jack up the lower control arm till the bump stop -just- touches the cross member. no load on the bump stop, just want it to touch.

2. Measure from the lower control arm to the crossmember, mine came out to 11cm or 4 3/8"~ inches

3. Disconnect the tie rod, disconnect the spindle from the upper ball joint and Flop the spindle out of the way, and pull your air bag out.

6. Get a die grinder with a small cut-off wheel in there (i used a right angle m12 die grinder) and chop out the bump stop bracket. Clean up all the welds with a rotery burr bit, dont need to go crazy but get them smooth.. the bags will never get close but better safe then sorry.

6. The bump stop bracket can be cut down, so you have the mount, then move it forward towards the tie rod.

7. Jack up the lower control arm, till its at the measurement you took on step 2, then with the rubber installed on the bump stop, fit it up and tack it in.

8. pull the rubber off the bump stop and weld it out. Paint/Por 15 your welds and let it dry, then reassemble.

I will say, its not going to be as strong as the factory bump stop location, but i don't intend on relying on it as a bump stop. more of a rest for the truck when i air out or lose air pressure.
Attached Images

Gumby83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 04:56 AM   #2
Gumby83

Re: 6372TCA-LAB Control Arms + D2600 Air Bags

One last pic of the old bump stop location.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2024, 08:59 PM   #3
Gumby83

Re: 6372TCA-LAB Control Arms + D2600 Air Bags

Final product with a D2600 bag.
Attached Images