The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2004, 11:39 AM   #1
greasemonkey

electrical/headlight switch?

I have rewired my entire truck using a Painless harness, and everything has worked thus far...until I got to the last part of it. When I plugged in my taillight harness, the left brakelight and the right taillight came on. The parklights are not on, and the brake switch is not activated, but for some reason I am getting power to the rear lights. When I turn the parklights on, the right taillight goes out, and the left brakelight remains on. The turn signals function properly, as do the license plate lamps. My backup light switch is broken, so those lights obviously don't come on.
My question is, can a worn headlight switch cause this problem? Mine was sticking, so I took it apart, cleaned out some crud, and lubed it. It is smoother now, but I am wondering if I screwed something up inside. It seemed like a fairly simple deal, so I don't really know how I could mess it up. The dimmer switch is stuck in the highbeams position, but that wouldn't affect the taillights. The turn signal switch is new, I bought and installed it just a couple months before I tore the truck down.
I appreciate any help,
John
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:07 AM   #2
69 Short Fleet

John, I just went through this simular problem and it turned out to be a bad ground on both taillight housings, so I ran individual jumpers (one for each housing) from the housing right down to the frame (I think I used 10ga. wire) with ring connectors and it fixed my prob. You could changeout your switch as mentioned (I did not realize they have a sort of contact arm inside them till just the other day. Where can you get back-up light switches from? Mine is toast also but can't seem to find a vendor for them, later Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:26 AM   #3
Don R. Dodson

You have a wiring error or you messed something up with the turn signal area. Ground is ground and has nothing to do with the postive leg of the voltage. The lights are getting the +12 volts from an unknown source, and from your description of the problem, and your previous workings, I would double check what you did before.

~ Don ~ 41 years Electronics Technician