The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2024, 11:26 PM   #1
DeBattista

AC/Cig Lighter and Accessory Wiring Question

Putting a half apart 1972 C10 Factory Air Truck back together. I was wondering if someone might know where the open terminal on the backside of the orange AC harness is supposed to plug-in I was thinking of utilizing it as a constant 12 V source for a clock I added, however I didn’t want to use it if it already has a factory purpose does anyone know what plugs in there? I have taken some photos and apologize they were at night, but you see the terminal which has a connector on it has an open mail plug inside of it. I have scoured my diagrams and can’t seem to find it anywhere what might go to it.
Attached Images

DeBattista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: AC/Cig Lighter and Accessory Wiring Question

My 1971 has factory AC. Perhaps this may help. I won't swear by the anti-dieseling wiring, because I didn't install one. But I believe it came factory with one. This is how I understand it - see Blower Motor Relay.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:47 AM   #3
DeBattista

Amazing information, I definitely won’t be running that, so that just tells me I can steal that for a 12V positive source. I assume it’s also safe to say this is not a keyed 12V source as I assume the cigarette lighter always has power.

I would just test light it but the engine harness and front harness are not plugged in.
Old Yesterday, 01:14 AM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBattista View Post
Amazing information, I definitely won’t be running that, so that just tells me I can steal that for a 12V positive source. I assume it’s also safe to say this is not a keyed 12V source as I assume the cigarette lighter always has power.

I would just test light it but the engine harness and front harness are not plugged in.
Depending on what accessories you intend on running thru the Cigar Plug port, I would suggest an in-line Fuse Holder with a 10 or 15 Amp fuse.
A weak Positive plunger from some accessory plug [GPS, RADAR Detector, etc...] bent over on insertion and shorted across the Ground side of the plug barrel, and I had a big short/electrical fire under my dash. As soon as I smelled the ''blue smoke'' -- I pulled the Negative lead from my Battery. Later I had to cull out and replace a lot of charred wiring from other systems I had looped together in a bundle, trying to make the wiring runs under my dash look neater.
Cheap insurance.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:19 AM   #5
DeBattista

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Depending on what accessories you intend on running thru the Cigar Plug port, I would suggest an in-line Fuse Holder with a 10 or 15 Amp fuse.
A weak Positive plunger from some accessory plug [GPS, RADAR Detector, etc...] bent over on insertion and shorted across the Ground side of the plug barrel, and I had a big short/electrical fire under my dash. As soon as I smelled the ''blue smoke'' -- I pulled the Negative lead from my Battery. Later I had to cull out and replace a lot of charred wiring from other systems I had looped together in a bundle, trying to make the wiring runs under my dash look neater.
Cheap insurance.
Everything will have its own fuse I don’t play that just tap in with the same power game. I’ve seen too many cars melt. It’s gonna be clock I added in the dash and the radio which has its own inline fuse.
Old Yesterday, 01:36 AM   #6
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBattista View Post
Everything will have its own fuse I don’t play that just tap in with the same power game. I’ve seen too many cars melt. It’s gonna be clock I added in the dash and the radio which has its own inline fuse.
Good. You're on top of the game.

Old Today, 12:48 AM   #7
DeBattista

Does anyone know if they make a pigtail that plugs into that or the harness for the anti-dieseling to steal the connector from.
Old Today, 01:09 AM   #8
'68OrangeSunshine

Mostly Anti Dieseling Solenoids are tied into 12 DC in the engine harness, like electric chokes. Never heard of powering one off a Cigar Plug -- if I understood your query.