The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2024, 01:14 PM   #26
Jason Banks

Re: Fan Shroud, Normal Operating Temps, Issues?

[QUOTE=kna4977;9346042]having it too far in might recirculate hot air vs drawing or vacuuming in cool air?

Here's a quote from the page I link below " position of the fan blades in the shroud is very important to maximize airflow. Looking from the side of the engine, the fan blades should be half in and half out of the shroud"

https://flex-a-lite.com/blog/the-per...hroud-position
Jason Banks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2024, 01:39 PM   #27
kna4977

[quote=Jason Banks;9346134]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kna4977 View Post
having it too far in might recirculate hot air vs drawing or vacuuming in cool air?

Here's a quote from the page I link below " position of the fan blades in the shroud is very important to maximize airflow. Looking from the side of the engine, the fan blades should be half in and half out of the shroud"

https://flex-a-lite.com/blog/the-per...hroud-position
Thanks. I shouldn't need a spacer with the clutch I wouldn't think. Just need to know what hardware I need and I should be in business.
kna4977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2024, 05:57 PM   #28
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Look at the clutch kit. Many of them come with the fasteners to attach the fan to the clutch. You can pick up a clutch mounting stud kit at nearly any local auto parts store.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2024, 10:17 PM   #29
kna4977

Have the parts on order. I don't believe the clutch comes with any additional hardware to bolt it to the water pump pulley or to bolt the fan to the clutch.

If anyone can provide info there that would be great.

I'm also in the process of charging the A/C system. I've just about got it fully charged. Pressures are great at first and the air from the vents is cool, but as the vehicle heats up and I continue to charge, the pressure on the high side keeps climbing to where I'm not comfortable with it. Between 225 and 250 so I shut it down. Is this an air flow issue or likely something else like a blockage? I've vacuumed and resealed the system. Has no leaks. I'm about half a can of R134 from a full charge. Temps from the vents don't seem to change, but as pressures seem to rise, the engine seems to struggle more.
kna4977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM   #30
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kna4977 View Post
Just need to know what hardware I need and I should be in business. I don't believe the clutch comes with any additional hardware to bolt it to the water pump pulley or to bolt the fan to the clutch.
I know that my Hayden fan clutch did not come with the required four mounting bolts. I re-used my existing bolts. If nobody gives you the answer, you should be able to verify the threads on your existing bolts when you remove your old fan.
I'd guess maybe 5/16 - 20, but that's just a guess. Then you just need bolts long enough to go through the clutch flange & WP pulley and through the threaded holes in the WP flange, maybe 5/8" or so.

EDIT: I failed to consider the bolts that attach the fan to the clutch. I suspect they might be 1/4-20, maybe 1/2" long, and I can't recall if new bolts came with the clutch or if I re-used my old ones.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; Yesterday at 09:05 AM.
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote