The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM   #1
studeclunker

58 Apache 38 doesn't want to start

Just when you think it's fixed...

Okay, it won't start now. Refused to go yesterday and had to run my errands in the Boss' '97. Will have to again today. It started, ran like a top for about two minutes and died. Now the old man refuses to start. It's getting fuel, air, but spark... Kinda hard to tell. I can't get the jacket to slide up the wire to check the thing. Tried inserting a screwdriver up in there and setting it against the battery hold-down getting nothing. All this cranking to get the thing started first thing seems to be having its toll on the starter motor as it seems to be getting weaker and running the battery down rather quickly.

This starter is not one I am thinking will be widely available.

So, I figure a new coil is in order too?

Yeah, it has been my experience, takes about six months to work all the bugs out of these things.
studeclunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:00 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: 58 Apache 38 doesn't want to start

stock engine?
check fuses
check points, distributor cap and rotor
check for power at the coil
if you plan to keep it stock and the engine is in good shape it wouldn't hurt to do a tune up on it, plugs, wires, cap rotor, points and condensor, possibly a coil and ballast resistor
if you have a starter/alternator rebuild place close by you may be better served there for a starter than a rebuilt one from a parts house. it seems the quality of the rebuilt stuff has gone downhill sharply, like off a cliff kinda downhill.
these starters are tough but don't tollerate long crank times and overheating
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:23 AM   #3
mr48chev

Re: 58 Apache 38 doesn't want to start

We need some vehicle history here. What engine, and then what if anything was done before this no start thing happened?

Meaning= is this a truck that you have been driving and all the sudden it doesn't start?

Did you do any work on it before the no start condition happened?

Did you perhaps leave the key on for while lately?

First step is to Charge the battery. Nothing works well if the battery is run down.

Second is to get out the test light or multi meter and see if you have power to the + post on the coil when you have the key on.

Check and make sure that the resistor bypass wire from the starter to the coil is hooked up. It goes to the R post on V8 starters or key start starters and the post on the side of the foot stomp starter switch.

If you have power to the coil with the key on turn the key off and pop the cap off the distributor and check the points. either bump the engine over with the starter or by hand to see if they are opening and closing.
When you check the gap of the points make sure that the rubbing block on the contact arm (red arrow) is right on the tip of one of the lobes of the distributor cam. Look at the contacts to make sure that they aren't burned or crudded up. Gap should be right at .016

I am not a fan of the nonsense of taking a screwdriver and opening the points to see if a spark jumps across them as a spark is not supposed to jump across them when they open. when the points open the ground connection for the coils is broken and the low voltage from the coil should go through the condenser and not jump the points.

URL=https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/w71/mr48chev/(edited)_91c17ff9-7197-47b0-b262-2487e0b09d7b.png?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds][/URL]

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote