The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2004, 07:47 AM   #26
Mudder

Ron u can still get Purple Hornies. I would have bought a set for my truck if there was a way to mount them to the headers. Loved the sound of them. Here is one of those bigfoot gas petals. Hmmmmm they are still in style today
Attached Images

Last edited by Mudder; 08-27-2004 at 09:01 AM.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:53 AM   #27
bigjimzlll

Ummmm.....the 70's...I seem to remember something about Disco and Custom Vans everywhere...Im pretty sure I got married a couple of times...The girls were real..real friendly. Jacked up N50 wearing glass packs or turbos fuzzy dice hanging pot leaf donning metal flake and pin striped hot rods. Ladder bars were a must(along with shackles or air shocks)

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 10:09 AM   #28
stickshift_or_walk
Left Foot Functioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtnkBndt
Definitely shackles or air shocks for that major raked look. Gotta clear those damn tires out back and ride like a brick. ........ Grey and Red primer was in where I was instead of black.
Yep, and when you forgot to air up the shocks when the temp dropped, or hauled a bunch of your buddies/w girlfriends in the bed or back seat, you got those neat white stripes around your M50's on the back because the inner fender lip cut into them on the corners! Oh well, get the long shackles so it doesn't happen again, and burn 'em up so you need another (wider) set!

Grey/Gray primer was the thing here. I remember a split-window '63 Vette that had the whole act going, right down to the primer and Cragar SS's - man, that thing ran like a striped-a$$ ape...I STILL want it. The eternal grudge match in my home town was between that thing and a similarly-equipped Nova hatchback, both primered, SS's, tunnel rams w/double-pumpers poking through the hood, big/littles, 4-speeds, and Purple Hornie turndowns (sometimes ).

The real science was whether to mount the Cherry Bombs closer to the headers, or as far back as you could get them. Made a big difference in the "rack back" noise under engine braking, but I can't remember which was best (or WTH - just run straight pipes).

And your ride HAD to chirp the tires when it went from 1-2, so if you had a slushbox, you put a shift kit in with the "race" springs so it would really give the mounts a workout. If you had a 4-speed (all the really cool rides did), it had a Hurst t-handle cocked at some weird angle. Ah, the smell of burning clutch plates...sure brings back memories.

SSOW
69 C10 (#1 son's ride)
72 C20 (Dad's farm truck)
82 K30 (Ex - brush pumper project)
stickshift_or_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 10:13 AM   #29
dubie

anything with a bed in the back and a monthy pass to the drive in theatre

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 10:23 AM   #30
dallas71

Mudder67.....Look what i found!!!

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...plehornies.htm

P/N#50231 only $43.00
Purple Hornies Glass Pack Mufflers
3" Turn Out Header Muffler, 3" 3-hole inlet, 3" outlet, 29" case, 32" overall

or

P/N#50230 $30.00
3" 3-hole Header Muffler, 3" 3-hole inlet, 2-1/4",18" outlet, 24" case
dallas71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 10:28 AM   #31
dallas71

God, this thread brings back all those old memories.....Everything that is stated her i can picture and remember all the cars and the craze that all of this "stuff" was on. Believe it or not (i hate to admit) I had a 69 Gremlin that had a set of cragar S/S on it and it was painted Blue Metallic with White Hood Stripes, also had the homemade Shackles going...
dallas71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:02 PM   #32
speesh

I recommend some good eight tracks, such as Rush 2112, Kansas, Pink Floyd Dark side of the Moon, Styx, Journey, Ted Nugent Double live Gonzo, Boston......
and a bumper sticker that says " DISCO SUCKS!!!"
speesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 10:50 PM   #33
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Dallas 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas71
God, this thread brings back all those old memories.....Everything that is stated her i can picture and remember all the cars and the craze that all of this "stuff" was on. Believe it or not (i hate to admit) I had a 69 Gremlin that had a set of cragar S/S on it and it was painted Blue Metallic with White Hood Stripes, also had the homemade Shackles going...
Here's a nice little one owner for you to bring back some memories... There's only two for sale on Ebay. Better hurry...
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2004, 10:52 PM   #34
MACKL
Almost done!

70's

I remember trying to sneak people into the drive in, on the floor of my 67 SWB.
Lead Zepelin in the 8 track. Kept blowing up my Tri-Axle speakers on Van Halen, unless we were....yes parking, then I had to put in the mellow mood music like Pink Floyd.
Those were some good times.
I hope my wife doesn't read this.

No one has mentioned.....
Attached Images

The 1970 SWB Project

Removed 6cyl manual trans, manual everything
V8-350
Auto/PS/PDB
Blazer Fuel Tank
Behind the Marker Light Fuel Fill
MACKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:06 PM   #35
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshift_or_walk
.....The eternal grudge match in my home town was between that thing and a similarly-equipped Nova hatchback, both primered, SS's, tunnel rams w/double-pumpers poking through the hood, big/littles, 4-speeds, and Purple Hornie turndowns.......:
I wondered if ya'll were going to leave tunnel rams out. Around my home town if you had enough motor to run a tunnel ram and two fours you were really "far out" . Deep dish chrome reverse wheels out back with smoothie baby moons were as popular as American Racing "slotted mags" were. Fenton was another one that was big in slotted mags. They were the ones that started the uni-lug trend I think.....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:24 PM   #36
junkyardjohn

MOST ALL MEMORIES OF THE SEVENTIES ARE A BLUR TO ME . I THINK ANYONE WHO CAN RECALL IT REAL WELL MUST HAVE BEEN A SPECTATOR. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 08-27-2004 at 11:27 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 12:42 AM   #37
zooza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primered_69
Were air shocks like the prerunner to the airbag? So the heavily raked look was in?

What about interior? Was it still tuck and roll? The mexican blanket look was sixties right?

Roll and pleat or diamond tuck were the main styles for interiors with velour cloth ! Seriously. I knew a guy that had his whole interior in baby blue velour it was like riding in a coffin! WEIRD

Last edited by zooza; 08-28-2004 at 12:46 AM.
zooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 02:07 AM   #38
blue72stepside

Here's the 8 track's, The 8 track player with Fm Radio!!! and of course don't forget the color organ. I had covair turbo charged muffers. and 10 X 15 U S Indy's all around.
Attached Images

96 1500 Work Truck
88 Chevy Van 3/4
97 Tahoe 8.5 Lift (Sons)
00 1500 LT 4x4 (Sons)
98 Ford Cobra (Wifes Car)

blue72stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 08:37 AM   #39
Zeke

what everyone else list and I think I remember shag carpet popping on everything, floor, doorpanels, headliner etc. especially on vans. lol

When Thomas Edison worked late into the night on the electric light, he had to do it by gas lamp or candle. I'm sure it made the work seem that much more urgent. George Carlin
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:30 AM   #40
franko72
Franko72

I can remember the sparkomatic 20 watt power booster "wow" a one push button unit that we thought ruled back in the day.Remember the rear window decks with the cool fuzzy carpets around your speaker grills.How about the white spoke wagon style wheels.chrome mud flaps.decals in the side rear window have been mentioned with almost everything else.making out with girls at the drive in.the huge gas pedals that were on most cars and trucks.big skinny steering wheels.no "e" check or safety lane check.you were almost unlimited with your engine to customize exhaust and power.Foghat, Zeppelin, van halen,nugent,kansas,pink floyd, and many other classics on 8 track.those were the best days ! these post make me want to go back and do it all again!

1972 C20 cheyenne Super 402 BB/400 turbo LWB A/C Tilt, Cruise Control, Saddle tanks, Tach
My Home Page
Better to burn out than it is to rust

Last edited by franko72; 08-29-2004 at 09:34 AM.
franko72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:39 AM   #41
franko72
Franko72

Quote:
Originally Posted by speesh
I recommend some good eight tracks, such as Rush 2112, Kansas, Pink Floyd Dark side of the Moon, Styx, Journey, Ted Nugent Double live Gonzo, Boston......
and a bumper sticker that says " DISCO SUCKS!!!"
OUR MUSIC RULED!!!

1972 C20 cheyenne Super 402 BB/400 turbo LWB A/C Tilt, Cruise Control, Saddle tanks, Tach
My Home Page
Better to burn out than it is to rust
franko72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 08:07 PM   #42
Eddie H.

I remember my metallic blue 65 Mercury Comet had the mandatory under dash 8 track tape player. I also had the big tires on the rear with skinny ones on the front and cragar SS wheels. Of course, I had to use shackle extenders to jack up the rear so the tires would fit. I was really cool, because I was running burned out cherry bombs, a Hurst 4 on the floor shifter, a hi po 289 with a "full race" cam with rattling solid lifters, and 12.5:1 pop-up-pistons. The cops could hear me coming 5 miles away. I miss those days
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2004, 11:00 PM   #43
BtnkBndt
Pennyless Fool

Nice EddieH, sounds like a very quick ride! Those apartments look real familiar.

Heres mine. Bought a totaled 68 RS/SS when I was fifteen. New front clip and paint (my first experience in paint and body work with the help of my award winning pro bro-in-law). Couldn't afford the hideaway's . 396/TH400 and some go fast chrome!!! Look at those huge traction bars and the excelent clearance out back . Had the Thrush hanging directly off the headers. Yep, those were the days!!

Local hangouts were The Box (Jack in the Box) in Casa View Center, Buckner Blvd, Power Plant on Ray Hubbard and occasional trips to Forest Lane but ALWAYS got some kind of inspection ticket there. Did most racing on Collins Rd. at Hubbard and Bruton Bottoms in Dallas. Yep, gotta miss them days!!!!

67 Short Step
283/TH400/4.11

Last edited by BtnkBndt; 08-29-2004 at 11:16 PM.
BtnkBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 11:55 PM   #44
buckshot

how about putting the "Feathers By Chevy" decals on it.
also,just about everybody had a C.B. radio back then.
buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 12:02 AM   #45
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

Here is a model of the seventy's about at its worst. I soon would like to forget those days. The only good part was my new 72 Cheyanne.
Attached Images

oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote