The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2004, 10:51 PM   #1
thisolechevy

Unhappy sputtering and no power

Please anybody!! I need help. this truck is my daily driver to get me to college I need it bad.

Lately my 327 has been giving me problems and I have tried everything I know how!! I have posted here a couple times and still nothing works I am DESPERATE!! please help.
here are some specs on the motor and the components, symptoms, and I will also post what I have tried. long... but bare with me please.
Impala 327 with stock heads, Edelbrock performer intake, 650 cfm performer carb manual choke. Upgraded ignition from points to "flame thrower HEI" a kit that installs on the old dist. where points were. New battery (perfect cond.) new 63 stock replacement alternator (perfect) and new voltage regulator (good ground and all wires are in top shape)

Syptoms: a couple of weeks ago I was getting ready to leave for home and as soon as I cranked her up I knew that something was wrong. It felt like it had no power at all and it hesitated when I hit the gas (it has never done that before) Well I go ahead and leave and the truck would only let me do around 50mph and then the motor would start to sputter (it just started to rev up and down about 200 rpms. quick enough that the tack doesn't really pic up on it) and thats as fast she would go. So I called a couple of people and they said some other things and I ended replacing the coil, the rotor, and teh cap all at the same time and it worked it was back to normal. Well it started doing it again in the past couple o weeks so I once again replaced the cap, rotor, and coil only this time nothing??? It didn't work, and the motor runs really bad!!!

any ideas??? please help me

Last edited by thisolechevy; 09-01-2004 at 08:54 PM.
thisolechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 11:04 PM   #2
cdowns

when you did this hei conversion did you run a new "hot" wire to the coil and eliminate the resistor circuit from yhe original wiring???
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 07:07 AM   #3
jlmtrout

Have you checked your vaccuum advance for a ruptured diaphram, or that it is connected to the advance plate and working properly? How about worn bearings in the distributor? Also, could be coil on it's last leg. Good luck and keep on truckin'..................Jerry
600 cfm Edelbrock,Small Comp Cams retro-roller cam and roller rockers,9:1 cr, headers, HEI,Old Air a/c, 72 power disc brakes w/stainless lines, 3.42 gear,T-56 6-speed, original paint(what's left of it). Dakota Digital Dash
jlmtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 07:35 AM   #4
pierce

I had this problem and it turned out to be a clogged fuel filter.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:11 AM   #5
thisolechevy

Cdowns: on the HEI the kit came with the HEI component that goes under the rotor where the points setup was and it had 2 wires one ran to the pos+ on coil and the other ran to neg- on the coil. But you "hot wire" so I am guessing you mean a new wire coming from the battery straight to the pos+ side of coil? if so no I haven't done this should I?

Jlmtrout: How do I know if the vacum advance has a ruptured diaphram? I just connected it a couple of weeks ago (it wasn't connected when I purchased the truck and I finally got around to doing it) I do know that it is connected to the correct places though. And how would I know if the dist. has worn bearings? I personally have never replaced it, and it looks a good 4 years +- old. as the coil goes it is brand new.

Pierce that was one of the first things I checked, all fuel lines are good. New pump, filters, etc... I also have checked the timing and it is right on.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:29 AM   #6
thisolechevy

ttt
Old 09-01-2004, 02:53 PM   #7
thisolechevy

I went to my mechanic today and asked him if he had ever heard of this happening, and it stumped him he said he had no clue what to do other replace EVERYTHING piece by piece until it works??? i don't want to do this!! what else can I do?
Old 09-01-2004, 04:06 PM   #8
sdmahr

I have to agree with a previous post: Sound like a fuel delivery problem.
sdmahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:28 PM   #9
9footfan
get up! stand up!

i'm no pro mechanic but it did sound like a fuel delivery issue to me initially but could be a vacuum leak as well. check torque on carb to manifold bolts or manifold bolts themselves. or maybe carb has problem w/sticky float or needle. good luck!
70 gmc 3500 canadian 9 foot "fenderside" pickup
06 silverado
71 vet enjoyed by my retired father

wtb-67 chevy 1 ton 9ft stepside-in perfect condition
9footfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:19 PM   #10
thisolechevy

I do know that the carb. is fairly bad shape and had it re-built about 6 months ago and the guy said he did not know how long it would last and that it was pretty rough because it had sat for 2 years outside in the weather. I also had a feeling that this was the problem but I don't want to just go out there and spend the $300+ on a new Edelbrock to find out that wasn't it! I know I can get just a stock rochester for $90.00 but if I get a new one I am going to go ahead and get what I like, you know. Any suggestions on how to check the carb. for problems?
Old 09-02-2004, 07:52 AM   #11
9footfan
get up! stand up!

i have gotten into the habit of purchasing a remanufactured carb and taking my old carb off and rebuilding it myself or taking it to a reputable carb shop to have it professionally and quickly diagnosed. this way i'll have 2 carbs in neccessary. if the old carb turns out to be a basketcase it goes into spare parts box or in the trash. good stock remanufactured carbs are reasonably priced-ggod luck and stick with it.
70 gmc 3500 canadian 9 foot "fenderside" pickup
06 silverado
71 vet enjoyed by my retired father

wtb-67 chevy 1 ton 9ft stepside-in perfect condition
9footfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 09:48 AM   #12
Wootdog

problems

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. It would run then starting bogging down. Rebuilt the Edelbrock. Still had problems. Ended up being the float. the rebuild kit even had a leaky float. I got ticked off and replaced the whole carb. No problems since. Kerry
Wootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 06:10 AM   #13
jlmtrout

Take the dist. cap off , disconnect the vaccuum advance hose from the carb and apply suction to the hose , watch plate to see if it moves while maintaining vaccuum. If it doesn't move until you release vaccuum, you're o.k. Good luck and keep on truckin'...............Jerry
600 cfm Edelbrock,Small Comp Cams retro-roller cam and roller rockers,9:1 cr, headers, HEI,Old Air a/c, 72 power disc brakes w/stainless lines, 3.42 gear,T-56 6-speed, original paint(what's left of it). Dakota Digital Dash
jlmtrout is offline   Reply With Quote