The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2004, 01:38 PM   #1
Zonaman

How many microns?

Anyone, what is the standard mircon rating for air & oil filters for a carburetor equiped, stock 350?

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

All depends on what filters you use...if you use Fram, I don't think they measure in microns. (exadurating...but fram DOES suck)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:30 PM   #3
Zonaman

What would GM send 'em off the line with?
Old 09-07-2004, 06:49 PM   #4
Longhorn Man

A/C delco? Not really sure honestly.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:28 PM   #5
Kleantouch

Oil and air filters are rated in microns-or at least the material used is rated in microns- however- they typically vary from the initial test results- higher or lower- depending on who, where and when the paper was made. The filter companies typically want to lower costs, and the only way the suppliers can achieve lower costs is to leave something out. AND the test of a filter one day will be different from a test of the same brand filter the next day, due to variability in supplier processes. Figure 20-100 microns for both oil and air paper filters, once it is used. Filters gradually start to remove more and more smaller particles because the dirt actually helps the filter. A cotton gauze filter- like a K&N- is much more open, and uses the red oil to grab the dirt particles, which in turn help build a "cake" on the outside of the filter- which in turn helps remove finer particles, until you clean it and reoil it. "Absolute" micron filters - those that are guaranteed to remove down to X microns are very expensive, your filter would be the size of a small waste basket, you would have to change it very often, you would strip the additive package out of your oil and you would pay a whole lot more than $3.99 at Autozone. There was a guy in central OH selling oil filter systems for cars and trucks that used a roll of toilet paper as the filter- had tests and everything- it was supposed to be better, etc- I can imagine the R&R of a toilet paper roll after 3000 miles coould be pretty messy.
But I digress.......
Kleantouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:38 PM   #6
Longhorn Man

I was jokin about the Fram not measuring in microns...I just like lettin ppl know that fram sucks, too many ppl think they are gold.
I have always been told that the toilet paper is the best fil;ter hands down...and some one had a link to a site that sells them. (this is actually a very old practice)
As far as the mess, I have done canister type filters many many timesd on millitary equipment, and it is actually better than spin on when it comes to keeping the oil where you want it.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:59 PM   #7
aesj2

AC Delco claims that their air filters can remove particles as small as a grain of salt. A grain of salt is 60-70 microns large. A proper measure of a filters rating is flow over time based on multi-pass testing. Any high quality (higher priced) filter should do well to removing the bad stuff.
aesj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:30 PM   #8
Longhorn Man

If you are lookng for the best in oil filters, the Mobile one oil filter is the best (domestic) oil filter.
And the best oil folter for the money is WIX...NAPA gold oil filters are built by WIX, and are the exact same thing as the more expensive WIX filters.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:10 AM   #9
Shane
Account Suspended

You guys talking about how much better one filter is over another would be very, very surprised to learn that most "recognized name-brand" filters are made in the same factory ... to the same specs ... the only difference is the color of the canister and the name on the box.

I have been thru this particualr factory and have seen the production lines in person. They were a former customer of mine.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 04:55 AM   #10
Longhorn Man

my info that I have stated above was compiled at an oil lab that foes oil testing for large fleets, IRL race teams, NASCAR teams, and independent testing.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:27 AM   #11
aesj2

Oh yeah, what oil lab?
aesj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:44 PM   #12
Zonaman

With respect to air filters, my instructor was pointing out that some performance air filter setups allow larger particles through, enhancing horsepower over ring life. Does an oil barrier filter like K&N effectively trap the larger particles while enhancing HP; or is it always a case of give something to get something?

Last edited by Zonaman; 09-08-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Zonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:09 PM   #13
Longhorn Man

aesj2, I'll have to find out tomorow at work. (I suck at remembering names of companies...let alone ppl)