The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2004, 05:49 PM   #1
SanitysBane

gettin' down!

all right i think i have enough money and time, time to drop the beast. right now from the ground to the body line is (measured from center of the wheel well) DF-36 PF-35 DR-39 DF-37.5, the battery is in the pasinger back corner of the bed which is why that side is lower, plus the PF spring has been stressed from running into a culvert. im running a 26 inch tall tire on the rear and a 27 on the front with 15' rims. the question is how low, just a shackle to even things out or a 2/4, 4/6 or 5/7. i plan on getting some 17s on the front and 18s on the bach when money comes in. i don't havr any steep drive ways that i need to tackle or offroading. so what do y'all think and pictures are always good. and i've also heard of drop spindles causing the LCA's to brake, this did happen to my friends 1990 GMC i also have the added weight of the big block upfront as well. thanks for any help.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:05 PM   #2
SanitysBane

anyone at all?
Old 09-08-2004, 10:16 AM   #3
loweredd
www.loweredd.com

The only reason I can think of a drop spindle causing a control arm to "break" would be if you ran into something in the road since the control arm would be lower than normal.

I would say bag it.

Once you lower it, you are just going to want to go lower in a month or two. LOL.
loweredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 06:44 PM   #4
SanitysBane

bags are WAY out of the question, i want to put major lack of money plus i would have to do it all on my own, if i bagged dad already told me he would refuse to help
Old 09-08-2004, 08:08 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What you may have heard about control arms breaking is not actually caused by the spindles. Sometimes when running 3" spindles with smaller rims or even deep backspace on larger rims the back of the rim will hit the control arm. To eliminate this problem people grind the lip of the control arm away. This can create a stress point and cause failure of the control arm.

If your going to lower it and can't afford to bag it then go with a 5/7 drop. If you go 4/6 your goinng to want more later. You may as well do it one time and be done with it.....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:03 PM   #6
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
Sometimes when running 3" spindles with smaller rims or even deep backspace on larger rims the back of the rim will hit the control arm. To eliminate this problem people grind the lip of the control arm away. This can create a stress point and cause failure of the control arm.
NOW they tell me! LOL
Old 09-08-2004, 10:21 PM   #7
SanitysBane

belltech did sell weld on covers to go over the bottom of the LCA on the 88+ trucks, anyone know if this was just because of a weaker LCA design in 88+ trucks?