The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2004, 03:19 AM   #1
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

Blazer 4wd To 2wd Conversion

Hello, I'm looking for advice on converting a 69-72 Blazer from 4wd to 2wd. Is it as easy as bolting in a new complete crossmember ( 71+ cause I want 5 lugs and discs) from a 2wd truck? Does the steering gearbox mount in the same place? Are the engine mounts the same as a V-8 2wd? Or, is there a whole lot more involved than that? I figure the rearend shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'll pull one out of a 73+ half ton. I want to start gathering parts now so I can get started on it next summer. This winter I have to finish the 69 Camaro Convertible RS/SS. It's been sitting for 2-1/2 years, half done and taking up valuable floor space. Thanks for the help on this one....I know there has to be someone out there that has done this conversion.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:53 PM   #2
junkyardjohn

GREG .. THERE IS A 71 2WD BLAZER SITTING OUT AT LONNIES OLD JUNKYARD. LONNIE RAN OUT, & LITTLE JOHN BOUGHT ALL THE CARS ON THAT LOT. I KNOW HE'S A PITA TO DEAL WITH MAYBE IT WOULD BE WORTH IT. (HE'LL JUST CRUSH IT)THE TUB IS SHOT BUT THE FRAME & RUNNING GEAR IS GOOD. THE FRAMES ARE QUITE DIFFERENT BETWEEN A 2WD & A 4WD BUT THIS WAY YOU'LL HAVE A COIL REAREND (IT'S A 12 BOLT POSI ALSO) & A DISC BRAKE FRONTEND. YOU CAN MAKE A 2WD BLAZER OUT OF A 4WD BLAZER, BUT IT IS VERY VERY MUCH EASIER TO START WITH A 2WD FRAME JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 09-08-2004 at 12:58 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:57 PM   #3
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

Thanks John, I'll check it out.....
Old 09-08-2004, 06:14 PM   #4
highboy_04

i've got a 76 1/2 gmc truck i'm trying to get rid of if you decide to go that route. i only want 100 bucks.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:08 PM   #5
cableguy0

i agree with junkyardjohn it will actually be cheaper in the long run to buy a 2wd to start with not to mention way less headache
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 08:13 PM   #6
walker

Just pull the front driveshaft, Presto 2WD. :p
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 08:30 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Are all 69-72 2wd Blazers coil spring rear? I know some trucks are coil and some are leaf, but wasn't sure about Blazers....?
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:28 PM   #8
2wdBlazer
The Blazer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
Are all 69-72 2wd Blazers coil spring rear? I know some trucks are coil and some are leaf, but wasn't sure about Blazers....?
Yes all 70-72 2wd Blazer's are coil. No 69's built in 2wd. 71 started with front disks as well.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:36 PM   #9
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

I'll go and look at the frame. The guy that John's talking about can be well, a little different. I was out there one day in the early 90's. A guy came up and told him he wanted to buy this 68 Camaro that he had in the yard. It wasn't in the best of shape but it was a very restorable driver. The guy asked him what he wanted for the Camaro. He said he wanted $2000. The buyer offered him $1000. They argured price for a while...You could tell the seller was getting frustrated with the buyer nagging him. Finally, he gave up and said to the buyer " Ok, you win, I'll bring the car around for you". He went to another part of the yard to get the car. He brought the car out alright. he crushed it and brought it back on a forklift. He told the buyer " now it's worth a thousand"...Needless to say, the guy left without the car.

How about welding on a new set of framerails from a 67-72 half ton truck onto the 4x4 Blazer? Or, would it be possible to weld on a Mustang II suspension with a power rack? I work for a natural gas pipeline company and have friends that are welders. They would be willing to do the welding for me. They are awesome welders that have to do x-ray quality welds. Any other suggestions?