The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2004, 01:32 AM   #1
Broken_down?

carrier bearing bracket

got a chvy 68 lb with 350 eng. Night before last I heard a draggin noise or so thats what I thought. I pulled over and found the center carrier bearing bracket broke clean in 2. It snaped right @ the part where the bracket starts to go around the bearing so the entire round part of the bracket was left around the bearings. But it was spining and making noise. So we cut off the broken round part and got some chain and stabilized it best I could. made it home.. But what can cause this to happen? There is almost no pressure on that bracket other then the drive shaft right?

Rich
WHY DO THEY CALL THEM JUNKYARDS ANYWAY??? I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS A TREASURE HUNTING MISSION
Broken_down? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:44 AM   #2
68LSS1

Carrier bearings suck. If you have to run one go with one of these. I couldn't keep one with the last set up. this time it will be a one piece driveshaft for me built by the company in the link.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:55 AM   #3
jlmtrout

I agree, a 1-piece shaft is the only way to go. If for no other reasons, 1 less u-joint to keep serviced or replace, and no more carrier bearing to replace ever again! Of course you'll have to cut the bottom out of the carrier bearing crossmember for clearance, but it has to be a stronger alternative if you have any type of power over stock. Just my opinion. I had one made for my long wheelbase for $186.00 at Truck Pro (they work on 18-wheelers) that included two new solid u-joints and was balanced. Good luck and keep on truckin'...........Jerry
600 cfm Edelbrock,Small Comp Cams retro-roller cam and roller rockers,9:1 cr, headers, HEI,Old Air a/c, 72 power disc brakes w/stainless lines, 3.42 gear,T-56 6-speed, original paint(what's left of it). Dakota Digital Dash
jlmtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:21 AM   #4
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

if you look carefully at your shaft assy from front to back while on a hoist you will notice that it goes straight from trans back to the CB. then off to the pass side to the diff. I'm guessing age-rust & high torque load killed it. they are not too hard to replace & I dont suggest going with a 1 piece shaft. long wheel base makes for a long shaft which is quite prone to damage from road rash. not to mention the harmonics & lower torque threshold. look at a semi or other heavy duty truck, they all have at least one hanger bearing.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:13 AM   #5
Broken_down?

You mean stock, the drive shaft runs off center from the CB to the rear end??

Rich
WHY DO THEY CALL THEM JUNKYARDS ANYWAY??? I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS A TREASURE HUNTING MISSION
Old 09-14-2004, 01:26 AM   #6
Broken_down?

I replaced the carrier bearing and do I need to have those little sheilds on the side of the bearings? are they dust guards or something?

Rich
Old 09-14-2004, 07:47 AM   #7
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

not if it is installed correctly with the "closed end of brg" to the front.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote