The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2004, 12:13 AM   #1
BobinPA

Door drops when opened.

The 72 I just picked up has a problem with the drivers door. When you open it, it drops a bit. Is this a problem with the hinges, or will pin replacement solve it?

Thanks.
BobinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 12:16 AM   #2
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Sounds like it's hinge related.Pick up on the back of the door while looking at the hinge,and you can see whats moving,might just need adjusting
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 12:45 AM   #3
Robo_bot
Account Suspended

could be either but try what brainchild said that should answer u Q pretty quick if its the hinge
Robo_bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 01:31 AM   #4
1969 GMC

at the junkyard, I found another 71 C/10 and when you open the drivers door, it sags like you describe. Turns out the metal in the door jamb had ripped! this might have been from a car accident as the front clip is missing and i cant tell, but there is a huge crack by both hinges and they flex when you move the door. lets hope it isnt that!
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 10:22 AM   #5
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

The door's on these truck's have a tendency to tear at the hinge mounting point and /or wear out the hinge.. They sell new hinge's and rebuild kit's if the door is tore you will have to pull it off and have it welded back up or do it your self if possible..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 10:52 AM   #6
67shortie
Green club

If the surrounding support metal is not damaged in any way, it is most likely the hinges. One can go and but bushing replacement kits at the auto parts stores. I did this with the Chevelle not to long ago, doors close like new again.

Son you are going to drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that hot rod lincoln
67shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:07 AM   #7
BobinPA

Thanks to everyone for the info. I think it may be the upper hinge but have to look more closely to be sure. I have extra hinges but before I replace the original how can I check the replacement before mounting on the truck to make sure it isn't also worn?
Old 09-18-2004, 11:10 AM   #8
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Fill Out Your Sig Please, Under User Cp, So We Know Where Your At.

AND WELCOME TO THE BOARD FROM W. TN.
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 12:16 PM   #9
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinPA
Thanks to everyone for the info. I think it may be the upper hinge but have to look more closely to be sure. I have extra hinges but before I replace the original how can I check the replacement before mounting on the truck to make sure it isn't also worn?
Spend the 20 bucks for the new parts and rebuild them before installation and you'll not have to worry about it.

It's a real gratifying project, rebuilding the hinges. Cheap and great big results in your trucks door operation.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:47 PM   #10
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

Originally, the hinges had plastic bushings installed. Get a rebuild kit with new pins and bronze sintered bushings. Mark the hinge location on the door and the "A" pillar post before you unbolt the hinges. It will make re-installation of the doors easier. You will save alot of time lining everything up.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:54 PM   #11
BobinPA

Looks like it is the upper hinge. What is involved with rebuilding it?
Old 09-19-2004, 01:38 AM   #12
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

You should rebuild both hinges on that door at the same time. Mark the door and "A" pillar around the hinge with a marker. This will help you alot during re-assembly. Get a helper and take the bolts out of the door first. Then, take the bolts out of the hinges at the "A" pillars. Put the hinge in a vise and grind the pointed end of the pin down flush with the hinge. The pins are pinched at the factory so they won't slide up over the years. Use a drift to drive the old pin out. Also, pry out the old plastic bushings ( double check to make sure you get all of them out. they tend to break and leave small pieces behind. If you don't have a hydraulic press, you can carefully tap the new bronze sintered bushings into place. Re-assemble the hinge and tap the pin back in making sure it goes in just like the original pin. After it's installed, "stake" the side of the new pin with a chisel so they won't work their way up. When you re-install on your truck, line up and bolt the hinges to the "A" pillar first. Those marks you made earlier will really come in handy. Get your helper back to line the door up while you bolt the hinge on. Getting the door to perfectly line up may take some time. Just take it slow and think about what you are doing while you are lining it up.. Good Luck!!
Old 09-19-2004, 01:48 AM   #13
Nixon

I had this very same problem on the truck I just bought. Figured it was the hinges. Called ECE and asked them for tech advice on kits vs hinges. They told me to take the old hinges off first and take them apart. If the pin is worn out get the kit. If the hole the pin goes through is wollered out then the kit won't fix it and buy new hinges. They also said that typically if the door is making metal to metal contact (read severe sag) between the window frame and the cabs drip rail, that it is almost always the hinges and not pins. So I bought the hinges. Bad part is, when I went to check how hard it was going to be to put the new hinges on I realized that the door was sagging because the metal was rotted out arond the top hinge and the door was flexing.

With that said, whats the fix? New door or fab new metal for that part of the door.
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote