The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2004, 09:48 PM   #1
Als454

Braided grounding strap?

Anyone know where to get the original style grounding straps. I'm looking for the ones that go from the valve covers to the firewall.
Short Wheel Base (Dually)
Als454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 10:03 PM   #2
sdmahr

I don't know for sure, but would bet the AutoZones, PepBoys, etc. would have them in those red "HELP" packages. I'm needing some as well so if you find them before I do, let me know where !

Good luck

Scott
sdmahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 09:48 AM   #3
OhioDan

Thumbs up

I got mine at NAPA. They have different lengths. Price was reasonable also. Just my $ .02.

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 11:32 AM   #4
GMCPaul

We carry the ground strap kits that give you both valve cover to firewall straps, the passenger inner fender to frame strap, the frame to passenger side front cab mount strap, and the frame to rear passenger bed cross sill strap. They include all the original style fastners and star washers to install. I know I have several sets in stock as I just helped a customer at the Hoosier Swap meet install a set on his pickup to fix the electrical gremlins going on with his truck. He was one happy camper leaving with all the electrical working again.
You'll find them here on our site
http://www.gmcpauls.com/Electrical.htm
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 01:53 PM   #5
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

My preference is to ground differently than the factory. I'm just not fond of the way the routed things. I run a split cable off the battery, large size to the block, smaller to the frame. I then run jumpers from the frame to the sheet metal, i.e. radiator support (both sides), cab, fender liners, and bed near the back.

Clean all connections to bare metal, and assemble with di-electric grease. In aircraft structue we use a sealant that keeps out the moisture and actually works far better, but it's sloppy and expensive.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
sactoC10
71 DELUX

I think someone told me few weeks ago that the braided lines from the firewall to the valve covers can be routed elsewhere. I was checking this out over the weekend.

Fred, can your describe in more detail what you have done with your grounding? Anyone have any pictures of these varied grounding techniques? How many grounds are necessary?

ALS454, hope these questions are helpful for you too. Not trying to steal the thread, just hoping to ride piggyback on it.
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 06:33 PM   #7
Blue68

You should be able to find the straps at most auto parts stores.

There's very little voodoo when it comes to providing quality grounding for your truck. The main thing to remember is to remove as much interference between the components (bulb, meters, guages,etc) and the battery ground as possible. Interference in flow is created by cab mounts, engine mounts, paint and rust to name a few. You can ground your truck using straps just about any way you please so long as you provide sufficient wiring for the engine/battery connections. After that, do what Fred T suggests and keep it clean.

Take a look at http://classictrucksweb.com/tech/cl_0312_oldsc/ and see how grounding is handled when the battery is relocated rearward.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 08:56 PM   #8
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I managed to clean up my old ones pretty good by soaking them in Berryman's a few days.