The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2004, 10:05 PM   #1
TugOwar

Pieces of a puzzle

Hello fellas,

Maybe you can help me finish a puzzle. Brought home a 68 GMC yesterday.

The guy I got it from took the front of the engine down to the timing chain to replace the timing set, that was 3 years ago. The hood has been down in that time but most of the parts have been laying in the bed or in the bed tool box exposed to weather. I spent today cleaning up parts.

Here is the puzzle part though. I didn't take it apart so I'm not exactly sure how it goes back together. Here are my most immediate "missing pieces".

Crank pulley - is there just one pulley with 3 grooves? I ask because I have it installed that way but none of the three grooves line up with the pulley on the factory power steering pump. In the bed of the truck there is a flat single groove pulley with several bolt holes, not just the 3 holes to match the balancer, I'm wondering if this flat pulley is suppose to go in between the balancer and the 3 groove pulley? This is a SBC (supposedly 305) and all I need to drive is the alt and water pump.

Missing piece #2 - The guy had the distributor out of the truck for some reason. Fortunately he had stored the distributor in the house but he had removed the "module" out of it. I say "module" but I don't know what it's called. It's a small, flat, plastic, black box. Both ends of it have male plugs that go to wires in the distributor. And it is held down by two small screws. These screws are what I need. He handed me the distributor in one hand and the module in the other, but no screws. Will I find these screws at a parts store, hardware store, or must I visit the junk yard and swipe two from another distributor?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 01:37 PM   #2
TugOwar

Doh!

I thought some one replied to this earlier but when I came back to answer it there is no reply. Musta got lost in the upgrade/move. Oh well no biggy.

The guy who replied wanted to know if I was using long or short water pump because that would affect the pulley configuration.

The answer is I don't know yet. I'm going to pick one up this morning and hopefully the parts guys can tell me what it came factory with.

The guy also offered to mail me the screws for the distributor. Thanks man but I wouldn't ask you to go to that much trouble, although the offer is very much appreciated. I'll check around today, I know they are out there to be found if I just look.

I'll post an update later and let you know which water pump I'm installing so you can help me figure out the pulleys.

Many thanks.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:45 PM   #3
TugOwar

Ok, using the short water pump. Sorry for that omission.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:59 PM   #4
TugOwar

NVM, thanks anyways