The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2002, 10:41 PM   #1
racedvl
Account Suspended

Question Big 10

What is the diffrence between a standard C-10, and a BIG 10? I'm looking to get a new front suspension for my 69 C10 and might be able to score a BIG 10 front suspension. Brakes, chassis, what ever. Thanks.

racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 11:33 PM   #2
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Big 10 is basically a 3/4 ton springs and suspension on a 1/2 ton frame. They used the heavier rated suspension to make the trucks rate as a 5/8 ton to keep them from needing a Catalytic converter back in the late 70's. Some like mine actually came with one even though it was a Big 10 rating.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 10:32 PM   #3
racedvl
Account Suspended

So ball joints, tie rod ends, a-arm bushings, ect are 3/4 ton? Does it use the same brake rotors? Would it make my C-10 sit higher in the front? Thanks for any info.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:43 AM   #4
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I'm not sure on that about the front end. I contacted an aftermarket place about getting a front end kit for my truck. They were unsure as well. They said to contact a dealer to find out for sure. I'm going to ask my parts dealer next time I'm there to find out what it calls for 1/2 or 3/4 ton parts. Might contact a couple dealers in your area to verify for sure.

I'm going to replace my rotors in the front hopefully this week or next. I'm going to have to use the 1/2 rotors due to the lug pattern. Otherwise the 8 lug bolt pattern would not fit. The springs I have are 3/4 ton factory. You can see at my website that the truck does sit up higher than a stock ride. I'm going to replace mine when I redo the front end with 3/4 ton springs again. I like the look and want to keep the exterior of the truck about stock.

I can bet that as long as the parts would fit your truck then you "should" see a difference in ride height on the front end. Somethings to consider about this though: difference in weight of engines and front clip weight. If you wanted to make it ride lower then I would suggest getting lowering spindles but if you wanted a stock height get the 1/2 or 3/4 ton springs ig you go new. Remember even half some springs are going to be expanded under load for awhile till they can get "broke in" and settle in place.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 06-19-2002, 10:12 PM   #5
racedvl
Account Suspended

Hhhmmmm, interestring. i just wanna know what I'm getting into before I go and tear out my current front suspension, and then find out.....oooppsss, now my truck looks retarted.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:41 AM   #6
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

If anything get the front end and use the parts. You can always lower it with different springs if you need to. I would go ahead and use the front end and know that it's abeen done right. Then afterwards you can raise lower it if need be but you would have a stronger front end for sure.