The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2004, 07:11 PM   #1
duke10

short bed 4wd what is a good price range?

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1972 chevy short bed 4wd with a 350 and automatic. The truck is fire engine red and looks great in the pictures I have seen. The truck runs great and has rust in the rockers, cab corners and a little bubbling in the door corners. The truck is a Utah truck and I am in San Diego. My only interest in this truck is to buy it and sell it for a higher price. After shipping I would have about $5,500 in it and trucks here go for a lot more than that. I can e-mail pics to anyone that can help me post them. Thanks
duke10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 07:13 PM   #2
FormerMember
Account Suspended

How about I sell you a few from Norcal and you resell them for more down there???

Rust in CA? most people will tweak.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 02:12 AM   #3
clay68c10

I had experience with the Utah rust-o-rama when I lived in WY. My brother in law got a 72 short wide 4x4 and it took a lot of new metal to make up for the rust; what you see is probably only 1/3 of what's really there. His showed about as much rust as what you say. We replaced 60% of the cab floor, corners, rockers and even parts of the cowl. Did I mention the bed?... The truck only cost $1200 to start with and a friend did the bodywork. $5000+ is a lot when there are nicer ones out there. Try some other western states for candidates.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:22 PM   #4
GMC AMI

View in person first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke10
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1972 chevy short bed 4wd with a 350 and automatic. The truck is fire engine red and looks great in the pictures I have seen. The truck runs great and has rust in the rockers, cab corners and a little bubbling in the door corners. The truck is a Utah truck and I am in San Diego. My only interest in this truck is to buy it and sell it for a higher price. After shipping I would have about $5,500 in it and trucks here go for a lot more than that. I can e-mail pics to anyone that can help me post them. Thanks
IMO you should view in person before making any purchase! The pictures can hide plenty and you really have to test drive to tell how much the truck is worth. Unless you do your own bodywork, that can quickly become a major money pit. How are the cab mounts? No one is going to be able to really tell you what the truck is worth, it's worth as much as the buyer is willing to pay!
If you have not seen the truck how do you know it runs great? Is that the sellers opinion? Tread lightly and take your time, better deals will turn up if you look for them, good luck, Mike