The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

replacing brake lines??

i ordered some stainless steel brake lines for my front brakes. they replace the rubber hoses only.

i'm having a hell of a time getting the metal fitting off of the hose that fits into the frame, any tips?
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:11 PM   #2
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

You might want to give up on getting them off. I couldn't remove them without destroying it.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

well, what do i do then?
Old 09-23-2004, 06:46 PM   #4
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Not sure where/who you got them from (mine came from Inline tube and I had to specify the caliper connection configuration) but mine I plan to make a simular piece that will fit there and have a hose clamped around the line

Have you mocked them up? I know alot of vendors don't make them with the correct orientation at the caliper.

here is mine installed:
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:49 PM   #5
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

yeah, they will fit fine, its just i cant get the fitting off the old hose
Old 09-24-2004, 03:00 PM   #6
KShortell

My new hoses last year came with the fittings. I also had to fabricate/replace the front brake line running along the radiator core support because I just couldn't get the line free from the fitting at the hose. It hadn't been apart since she left the factory in 1986...
Old 09-24-2004, 05:08 PM   #7
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I have have good luck with wd-40 (or other penetrating oil) and a propane torch. A little heat, a little wd-40, and using a "flare nut" (tubing) wrench. Go slow,... and wiggle the wrench back and forth. You might want to soak the nuts a couple times an let them set. Also when you install the new ones,... use never seize on the nut threads.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 07:18 PM   #8
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I'm not sure, from your post, if you are having a hard time with the giant stamped sheetmetal nuts on the inside of the frame or the actual brakeline fitting. I fought them both on mine, and eventually gave up.

I initially tried removing the fastener on the outside of the frame, but could not get them off. Then I moved to the inside of the frame. Everything I tried on the giant nuts slipped off because they are so thin. Everything I tried on the brakeline fittings just rounded them off.

I replaced them about a year and a half later when I had the engine mostly disassembled. Without all of the accessories on the front of the engine, there was enough room to work in there. That was the only way I could actually get in there with decent tools to get at everything.

I first went to a junkyard, and got the hard lines that screwed into the ends of the brake hoses at the frame. I took them from trucks that already had the engines pulled out so that I could actually get in there. It took me a couple of tries beforeI could find lines that would come off without rounding off the fitting. I also took a couple of extra nuts, just in case.

At home, I had to use vise grips to remove the old lines with the stripped out fittings. Then I could put a large socket on the sheetmetal nut and unscrew it. That allowed the line to pull through the frame. From there, it was easy to put everything back together.

I don't know the proper way to do it, but that is what I ended up having to do. I hope it goes better for you.

A mechanic friend says that he has had too many brakelines round the fittings off like mine did, even using flarenut wrenches. Yes, I was using flarenut wrenches when I rounded mine off! He says that he and all of the mechanics he knows just removethem by putting vicegrips on the fitting and breaking it loose with one quick tap of a hammer. That did work well when I was removing the fittings that were already stripped, but I don't know how much damage it would do to a good brakeline fitting. I prefer not to use vicegrips on anything unless it is already stripped out.

Slonaker

Last edited by Slonaker; 09-24-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 04:06 AM   #9
BaggedC10
Under construction!

I have Goodridge braided SS brake hoses and they fit great.