The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2004, 04:11 PM   #1
jover

Question OK Now I need some guidance on 77 frontend swap to my 68

Hi Everyone: Well I got the 77GMC whole front end today at the junkyard and I will be swapping to my 68 Chevy stepsideC10, The guy cut the whole thing off for me about a foot up on the frame so I have every little piece and for $70 I feel I made a good buy. Now, can someone either link me to a thread where it tells me exactly how to go about it, or can someone be kind enough to let me know. Can't tell you how much I would appreciate it, and I am so excited that I now am a little closer to having front disc brakes, hey I also got the whole sway bar in tack, just everything needs new bushings and stuff. Well email me jirwin59@usadatanet.net or pm me. Thanks so much JoAnne
jover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:04 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

The spindles will swap, sort of.... You have to change the balljoints to match the spindles. Drum brake spindles and disc brake spindles use different ball joints.

Best bet is to swap the whole crossmember. Just unbolt it from the frame stub that they cut for you. If you look inside the frame rails on each side, you'll see the bolts I'm talking about. Then, remove your old drum brake crossmember and roll the new disc crossmember under the truck. All but two of those bolt holes will line right up. Install the bolts, and egg shape the last two holes with a drill bit until they line up too. I have even left those two bolts out with no ill effects. The other 10 or so will do the job.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:40 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

ZZZzzzzactly.....as Tx Firefighter said
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:30 PM   #4
SCOTI

The 'later' front suspensions utilize rubber bushings which give a smoother ride vs. the 67-72 'rubber-lined' steel bushings.

Easier to find 73 & later parts in the wrecking yards too.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 12:32 AM   #5
MrShelley
Too Many Clubs Club

When I put the '78 front suspension under my truck ('68), I swapped everything except the crossmember. It's a little more work, but you don't have to drill new holes. Of course, either method will work, just a matter of personal preference.

While everything is off is also a good time to check/replace ball joints, tie rod ends, A-arm U-bolts, idler/Pitman arms, and anything else that could be worn.

On a related note: I just got my frame back from the powdercoaters last Friday, so I'm busy bolting everything back together. All the boxes of ball joints, rod ends and other assorted pieces are finally going onto the truck! Woo-hoo!
Old 08-03-2004, 01:23 PM   #6
SCOTI

I don't get the 'just swap the whole crossmember' theory as necessarily easier. Yes, it would be easier if the new crossmember had all new parts already installed. But if your going to have to rebuild the front end, using the existing c-member & swapping just the parts while it's apart for the rebuild seems easier to me.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:49 PM   #7
MrShelley
Too Many Clubs Club

SCOTI-

My sentiments exactly. While everything is apart is a great time to replace all the 30 year old parts, so why bother changing crossmembers?

Of course, like you said, if the new crossmember already has new stuff on it, then it would be simpler to just drill a couple of holes.

To each his own I guess.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:12 PM   #8
truckintexas

Just finished a "swap" like this one

I agree with Scoti and Mr Shelley. I just finished putting on a 1980 front end under my 67 frame. I did not have the entire crossmember available (all I started with was spindles), so it didn't come up, but I did change out upper and lower ctrl arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm, and center link. Note: all the steering parts are a little bigger (bigger in diameter and thicker) on your 77 than your 68, so they will all have to be changed/replaced when you use your 77 spindles.

Good Luck
truckintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:09 AM   #9
kxmotox247

Maybe one of you guys can answer this question:
Do these later model spindles effect where the wheel sits in the fenderwell? Do they make the wheel sit farther forward or backward? Would they affect backspacing when compared to a 71' disc brake front end?
Thanks!
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote