The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2004, 12:07 PM   #1
Zonaman

Some wiring problems.

First question:

I want to wire a dome light switch at the driver's side door. Would you just find a door switch and wire it in sereis to the hot wire? Where can I get those switches?

Second Question:

Got side marker lights but no wires to them. No bulbs or the holders that fasten them into the back! No wires for them (that I can find) cut off anywhere. I'm told a '69 should be wired for that so I'm puzzled. Can these be wired correctly without getting a new harness and where would I get those holders for the bulbs?

Thank you.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:14 PM   #2
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Not sure about the first question. It sounds like somebody cut off the bulb holders on the rear markers. You can scavenge these off another car or preferably truck at a junk yard. Are you sure the bulbs didn't fall down and your not seeing them?

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:19 PM   #3
dallas71

ChevyDuty has the door switched.... Part # 53-611 $4.95ea and the wiring I believe I have the diagrams for if you need them.....
dallas71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:24 PM   #4
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Can't rattle off how factory set up worked in relation to headlight switch. If you just want a door courtesy light.... Wire constant power to bulb. ground from bulb to jamb switch/switches. Jamb switch should be case ground. Just bought some of those sockets. Autozone/Kragens carry same brand. Will work on brand name/part #.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:45 PM   #5
poff

Should be able to connect the door pin switch parallel to the ground that goes to the headlight switch. I would use new door pin switches, I have always had problems with used ones being bent or corroded or getting stuck in the off position. Another idea for trucks that I got from my buddies Blazer: I got the under dash lights out of an 80's Caprice and they are just like to stock ones in a Blazer. I hooked them up in parallel to the dome light and it really lights up the cab, I think the holes in the dash were already there.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:57 PM   #6
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I have got to do more recreational junkyarding!!!! I paid Painless like 40 bucks for a twin under dash courtesy set up. The Caprice is good info for somebody! Just proves sometimes it's better to be a day late and a dollar short than a day early with too many dollars.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:13 PM   #7
Willy Prost

Some 68 and 69 trucks only had reflectors without lights in the rear side markers. If you don't have a opening on the backside of the reflector for the twist in lamp assembly, then yours is one of the reflector only side marker units.
Willy Prost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:21 PM   #8
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Were the lights optional? If so, were they added to the harness via splices or was there a totally seperate harness for models with sidemarkers?
Old 09-29-2004, 01:29 PM   #9
Inspector722
Fixing my 67, & loving it

Seperate harness.

Working on: 67, large back glass, 307 V8, 200 4R, 3.73 rearend, Short Stepside Bed
Inspector722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 02:30 PM   #10
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

On a typicle installation the bulb is wired in series and the door switch provides a ground, The easiest way is to find a non grounding switch with two terminals and wire "It" in series to your dome light.
You might check the auto parts stores, refridgerators have a nice push button light switch that would work.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:24 PM   #11
Zonaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Prost
Some 68 and 69 trucks only had reflectors without lights in the rear side markers. If you don't have a opening on the backside of the reflector for the twist in lamp assembly, then yours is one of the reflector only side marker units.
The openings for bulbs are in the reflectors there, but I've yet to find anything like the wires that should go to them.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:46 PM   #12
flip66

I had to add the bulbs on my 69 so all of the below is from my trial and error. In 69 they had reflectors not lights, all the repos have the light sockets that is probably why yours does now. I think you can get the sockets at the parts store, they are little rubber sockets that slide in and turn they hold a 194 bulb I think I saw them at auto zone I used the ones from an 80s model truck with side markers. On the front you can connect both wires from the socket to the 2 wires going to the front parking light and it will work but it will flash with the front turn signal. If you do not want it to flash you can connect too, I think the, the brown wire going to the front turn signal and the other to ground and it will be just a parking light. On the rear connect one wire to the brown wire at the stop light and the other to ground. On the back if try to make it flash it will go out when the brake lights come on. On the back do connect the ground to anything but the frame. On the sockets positive and negative do not matter as long as you connect too + and the other too - . I can check to see which wires I connected too tonight if you want.

On the dome light if you already have the light and it work with the door just go to the fuse box and you will see a plug that plugs into the fuse box on the front that has a white wire and an orange wire on it that is for the dome light it will run down the driver side to the back of the cab. The white wire tigers the light with ground. If you explain what you are trying to do I can tell you how to wire it.
flip66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:42 PM   #13
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Flip, Sounds like you have the marker light wire up right, brown wire is the one you want.
One question...why would you not want to hook the ground to the frame?

Side marker lights were N/A in 67, optional in 68 & 69, and standard in 70 & up. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to if it should blink or not (up front) I did a poll and found that some did, and some didn't. Same years, same models, even some from the same plants.

I know on the 2 longhorns I've had....both 1970 trucks, (different plants...one 3/4 ton, other one ton) the 3/4 ton blinked, but the one ton does not...both harnesses unmolested.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:55 PM   #14
Old Dave
Is a bullfrog waterproof?

We bought the bulb holders for my son's truck at NAPA. They were an Echlin brand I believe and they were like $3 each.

Ben Franklin

1st two are My son's toys...they just live in my garage!
1997 GMC K1500 Suburban
1993 S-10 Blazer 4D (youngest son's daily driver)
2000 Dodge Ram 4WD Ext. Cab (5.9L)
Wife is a late year 1951
Old Dave is offline   Reply With Quote