The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2002, 01:41 PM   #1
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
Question turbo 350

How many rpm's should my truck be shifting at? My truck is shifting between 1800 and 2200 rpm's from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. This just doesn't seem right to me. I just recently put this engine in and honestly never paid attention to where the other one shifted at. I didnt have a tach on it then either...Is the vacuum modulator the cause of this? Also is the vacuum modulator suppose to be on full vacuum or timed? It is on full vacuum right now. I dont want to shift this thing manually to build decent power.

Thanks
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 01:45 PM   #2
68 with 350 TPI

You can make it shift higher and lower by adj. the modulator.

I think you may be shifting a little low but it depends on the gears in the truck also as to where the best spot is.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:03 PM   #3
Frank_Zeller

Did you forget to hook up the kick down cable to the carb?

Is that WOT shift points are just cruzing?

Modulator get full vacumn from the mainfold.

Austin-Texas
Frank_Zeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 02:24 PM   #4
Suicide-D

kick down is hooked up... was not hooked up on the last motor... that is just cruising, normal not getting on it ... but it still shifts early even when im in it if I recall... I'll check on that.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:26 PM   #5
Suicide-D

well the vacuum is hooked up to a supposedly full vacuum port on my carb, not on the manifold.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:59 PM   #6
Frank_Zeller

Make sure when your WOT (engine off) the kick down cable is all the way extended.

If thats not the problem then you can change springs in the governor. The governor is on the drivers side of trans underneath that tin cup look thing in front of the speedo cable. Stiffer springs make it shift sooner...weaker springs shift latter. This also effects your down shift pionts. B&M sells a kit you can buy thought summit racing.

Austin-Texas

Last edited by Frank_Zeller; 06-19-2002 at 03:03 PM.
Frank_Zeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 03:04 PM   #7
Suicide-D

ok i'll check out the kick down cable... my buddy helping me hooked it up... I was responsible for anything that required going underneath....so I didnt supervise that operation. I have no idea where this tranny came from... my truck was a 6-cyl three speed on the column from the factory. When I got it it was a dog-tired 283 and turbo 350. I may have to change the springs.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:26 PM   #8
hanssolo

Are stock modulators adjustable? I thought you had to get an aftermarket one.
Dobber- if I get back there I want to live in the Katy-Mason Rd. area.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:48 PM   #9
Gordo

You want a direct vaccum from intake feeding the mod, and stock modulators are not adjustable. Frank is right on that cable adjustment, WOT and max tv cable length should match.
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 04:56 PM   #10
Suicide-D

yeah Katy is excellent and wonderful schools i hear... I live right off of Mason rd.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:01 PM   #11
Suicide-D

The kickdown is set up correctly. I'll need to pick up a fitting to run the vacuum directly off the intake. to see if that changes anything. I want to replace the Carb on my truck anyway I just dont like it very much... Edelbrock 1405 600cfm junk... in my opinion..
Old 06-19-2002, 07:32 PM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Just so no one is mis lead, the cable is a kick down cable, not a TV cable. The Throttle Valve cable is only on overdrives.
Yes, the stock modulater is adjustable, I discovered this last weekend. Remove the hose and look inside of the hole, turn that little screw in (clockwise) to shift higher, loosen it to shift sooner.
Hooking it up to the intake will probably not affect it, and if it does, it'll shift sooner than it is now.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 09:45 AM   #13
Suicide-D

Ok now I'm wondering if the kickdown is causing my problem... it is hooked up correctly as far as I can tell. The cable is at full extension at wide open throttle. What is the function of this cable? I dont feel my transmission down shift when I step on it while cruising in third gear. Could my modulator be set to shift so early it's taking the kickdown out? I haven't had a chance to crawl under it and tweek the modulator yet.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:15 PM   #14
Longhorn Man

No, modulater is not doing anything on the kick down. That is all on the kick down cable.
Sounds like the cable is not adjusted correcly. Disconnect it from the carb, and pull on the cable. Line it up to the throttle, where it was hooked up, and see if it was adjusted right. You want full cable extention at wide open throttle.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:38 PM   #15
Suicide-D

Thanks Longhornmail & Frank_Zeller.... the kickdown WASN'T adjusted correctly. I took the cable lose and sure enough... it came out about an 1/4 of an inch... it didnt do that hooked up. I tightened it up and it kicks down now. I didnt mess with the modulator yet... I crawled under and the vacuum hose had clamps on it... so I'll mess with it tommorrow. It still shifts early.

Thanks again.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:18 PM   #16
Longhorn Man

Good deal.
Under steady cruising, or light throttle, all the up shifts are handled my the vacume modulator.
Under WOT, the cable is pulled out, and basicly trying to kick it down, therefore holding it in the lowest gear it can.
This is where the govenor comes into play. The govenor will make it shift at a predetermined RPM. This way, if you are doing 80 MPH, and somehow, your shifter gets slammed into first, it will not go into first, some wouldn't even go into 2nd.
Matter of fact, you could place your shifter in first, and haul @ss, it WILL eventually go all the way up to 3rd gear, but you'll be taxing the pee outa your motor, and you'll be aproaching tripple digits when it finally shifts.
Of course, this is asuming the govenor is set at the right RPM, and still in working order.
I know it is on the wife's S-10 blazer, but that's another story.