The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2004, 10:24 AM   #1
steppside69

shifter question

Hi all,

I had a question, The truck I have had a manual tranny,(3 on the tree) while the linkage always would freeze up and from being young and aggressive driver, I broke the shifter and decided it was time to remove the manual and put in an auto.

So on to my question, It had a manual I put in an auto (tranny), I had to find a auto/steering column. well the only one I found at the time didnt have the shifter(I dont know what year truck it came out of either).

I know there are different year shifters but, how do you tell them apart? A casting #? I made a shifter from a 1978 blazer work by grinding the end down.But it doesnt work very well.

I think the auto and manual shifers are different(auto I think is longer?) If anyone can help let me know
Thanks steppside69
steppside69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 03:37 PM   #2
jlmtrout

Have you thought about putting in a floor shifter for your automatic? That way you don't have to fool with swapping out a steering column, just cut a hole in the floor for the linkage. Aside from that, there are plenty of automatic steering columns in the bone yards, just get one from 67-72 and you will have fewer problems than trying to make something else fit(wiring and connectors will all match up). Good luck and keep on truckin'.........Jerry
600 cfm Edelbrock,Small Comp Cams retro-roller cam and roller rockers,9:1 cr, headers, HEI,Old Air a/c, 72 power disc brakes w/stainless lines, 3.42 gear,T-56 6-speed, original paint(what's left of it). Dakota Digital Dash
jlmtrout is offline   Reply With Quote