The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2004, 07:00 PM   #1
incoma

A/C Heater control question

A few weeks ago I began re-installing my dash. I got the the heater control and found that the connector for the fan switch had melted down and the PO had just crimped on some new connectors. Well, being the anal retentive guy that I am, I decided to buy a new plastic connector from LMC to make the connection look right.

I have gone to NAPA, Autozone, and Advance Auto and have yet to find a place that sells the brass crimp ons that will let me use this plastic connector. Noone sells these things. Has anyone had to buy these, and if so, where did you go to get them. I was sure NAPA would have them, but they didn't.

I'd like to begin working on my truck rather than searching for some of these odd-ball parts!! Thanks for letting me vent a bit.
incoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:03 PM   #2
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

I believe those are the packard style connectors. NAPA sells them but you normally have to show them the connector using their catalog. Good help is hard to find. I use to have the NAPA part numbers but I don't know where I put them.
ddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:16 PM   #3
incoma

I worked at a NAPA about 10 years ago. One of the things I learned there, is that if you can get ahold of a set of books, you can buy anything. NAPA literally sells everything, if you know which catalog to look in... I have some connectors from Carquest that my Dad gave me a few weeks ago. They aren't exactly what I'm looking for, but they're close. I'm going to find a carquest to see if they have them, I'll post if they do.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:14 AM   #4
73stepside

all of the ones you buy off the counters are tin coated copper connectors. all you have to do is scrape or sand off the tin coating but you will have to apply electrical grease to them to keep them from corroding
73stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Nappa does have them. Sorry no part#'s but you got to get em to break out their books to find em. I could not find 10-12 gauge connectors though. I did find the 14-16 gauge ones. Also, they come in boxes of 50? If you get the right guy they'll piece em out. They were not tin coated. At least they were not silver in appearance but brass colored. The ones I see in the bubble packs from Connect-tight? at Kragens/Autozone are.

The harness I bought from Painless did come with some large 10-12 connectors. I have not contacted them yet to see if I can buy just the connectors. It is a Capitalist country though....
Old 10-05-2004, 10:25 PM   #6
incoma

I tried another NAPA tonight. They also said they didn't have them. These guys just don't care anymore about getting a customer the right part.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:44 PM   #7
TugOwar

Quote:
These guys just don't care anymore about getting a customer the right part.
Sadly this is becoming more and more true. Seems the bottom line isn't affected very much by customer satisfaction.

Here in our small town we have Autozone, Napa, Carquest, O'reileys and Gonzales Auto parts. Gonzales is a small chain and I get the best service there. Autozone is my second choice. O'reileys is a last resort, the couple of times I've been in there they acted like they were doing me a favor and could care less if I bought anything or not, screw 'em.

Back home Georgia there was a small parts store in town. Family owned and they stocked just about anything you could want, usually at the best price in town to boot. The old man of the family was mainly a figurehead, didn't know alot about parts but was always nice, respectful and tried to help. It was the old lady who knew her sh*t when it came to auto parts. I could go in and ask for almost any part for my 66 C10 and 90% of the time she went to the back and put her hand right on it, the first time! And if she wasn't sure she knew exactly which book to look in,,,no computers in the store, hand written receipts! God I miss those days.

Sorry this was off topic, I couldn't help myself.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:38 AM   #8
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I dug out my Napa receipt from my terminal purchases. The part #'s do not come up on the napa online site. Think the receipt #'s might not cross to the parts computer. I'll try to get over there and determine wich ones you need.
Think they were Balcamp parts. Receipt part #'s are BEL 725145, Bel 725147, Bel 784432. They sell the single wire housings too. Bel 725146, Bel 725148. Ptice ranged from .30 to .51 cents a piece.
Rich
Old 10-06-2004, 09:09 AM   #9
incoma

Awesome. I've got to swing by there at lunch today, so I'll ask them to see if they carry these part numbers. Thanks!!
Old 10-06-2004, 10:35 AM   #10
Hook'em

I have been having issues with my a/c. Got a new fan switch from Ashley's along with the plastic wire harness. I just used regular crimps when I re-did the wires (like your PO). The fan is still not working and I am at a loss. I assume we are talking about the same thing, I have attached a pic of my switch.

Could it be the non brass crimps causing it not to work, or if not, any other ideas?
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2004, 11:02 AM   #11
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

You need to make sure you are getting power to your switch and a ground to your relay.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:15 PM   #12
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Proof!!!

Ok, Incoma,
Take these pics down to your Napa and stick it to em!
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2004, 01:18 PM   #13
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Hookem here is a wiring diagram for your AC circuit. Hope this helps. Check out the ground on the ac relay!! It is screwed in to the side of the ac case. Ground wire tends to get loose. Hope you don't mind this post Incoma...Sorry if we are "stealing the thread".
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2004, 01:31 PM   #14
Hook'em

Thank for the info - chickenwing.

I had no intention of hijacking incoma's thread, just a followup on the need for brass crimp ons.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:04 PM   #15
incoma

Awesome info chickenwing!! I went down there today, and ordered the parts right up. They'll be here Thursday from the warehouse in New Orleans.

Hook'em - I don't think this thread was hijacked. Not when there's useful info passing back and forth, that's what this thing is here for.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:21 PM   #16
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Did the guys jaw drop when you gave him the Napa part #'s?
Old 10-06-2004, 08:57 PM   #17
incoma

actually he wasn't to my surprise. We did get out his newest Belkan book to see if there were any other connectors that I might want to order. I think I'm going to be wasteful and get a box of each. I probably won't use them, but they'll be nice to have!!
Old 10-06-2004, 09:04 PM   #18
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Naw, you will use em. Bit pricey at boxes of 50 though. I used my regular twin lock crimper for these terminals. Anyone know of a better crimper? It be nice to just squeeze one time and be done....
Old 10-06-2004, 09:07 PM   #19
incoma

I was going to use some normal pliers for these.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:14 PM   #20
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Most wire crimpers come with twin lock positions. Like a 4-5 step process. Put wire in terminal bend over 1 tab at time for wire with big opening then finish crimp with small opening. Then do the same thing for the insulation. there has got to be a racheting crimper for these terminals.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:37 AM   #21
Hook'em

Do I need to get brass crimps for my fan switch? I just have regular crimps that I found laying around.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:16 AM   #22
kwmech

This is an excellent source also www.waytekwire.com
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:22 AM   #23
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I was courious about the tin coating post. I wouldn't think it would matter. I think the only important things are making sure you are using the proper gauge terminal for the wire you are using and making sure the conector fits tight to prevent arcing.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:29 PM   #24
incoma

you can use tin connectors. that's what I've got on there now. I just was being picky with how it looked...
Old 10-07-2004, 03:56 PM   #25
Hook'em

You had me all concerned that I needed to change my connectors. The connectors on mine are behind the dash, so I am not that picky with how it looks.