The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2004, 11:58 AM   #1
truck69

Jack Stand Placement

I will be putting my truck away soon and my brother suggested to put it up on jack stands. I was wondering where do I put the stands under the axle? In the middle between the tire and the center of the truck.. our near the tire or on the inside near the center of the truck. I just dont want it to fall off the stands. My truck is a C20 3/4 ton.

Thanks. Truck69
truck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 12:00 PM   #2
truck69

Also does anyone put anything on their exhaust to cover it so the mice dont get in there? Like a garbage bag or something?

Thanks. truck69
truck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 12:24 PM   #3
Joe67
67 is sold

Wouldn't it be best to support the truck by the frame and allow the suspension to sag freely during storage?

I would use a rag in the exhaust as well as under the hood if you have a snorkel type air intake

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10step
Wouldn't it be best to support the truck by the frame and allow the suspension to sag freely during storage?
It shouldn't make much difference. The big thing is to take the weight off the tires. When I jack the rear I place the floor jack under the pumpkin, then place the stands out by the tires, which is the most stable point. As long as they aren't right next to the pumpkin, you should be okay.

To keep mice out, don't use rags. They simply become nest bedding. Same with plastics. It must be metal. I grew up using steel wool to keep mice out of places, and it needs to be packed tight. Also, put some trays in the cab with mothballs, this will help keep the critters out of the cab and helps keep steel from rusting. I learned about that from a machinist who keeps mothballs in his toolbox.

I'll add the rest just to be sure you have all the bases covered.

Gas tank - either drain it or add Sta-bil before you park the truck. If the storage is for more than a few months, drain the tank and run the engine out of gas.

Cylinders - Remove the plugs, put a spoonful of oil in each cylinder and spin the engine a few times. Then replace the plugs, finger tight.

Crankcase - Change the oil, it contains acids that will corrode the internals. Run for a few minutes to get the fresh oil everywhere.

Cooling system - Usually okay as long as the coolant is clean and not over 2 years old.

Battery - Remove it and use it in something else, worst thing for a lead-acid battery is to sit and discharge. If you can't use it, put it on a charger once a month. And do not set it directly on a concrete floor.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 04:22 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I have nothing to go by except what I was told...don't let the wheels dangle, the ball joints are not made for forces in that direction, just the loaded direction.
Kinda makes sence in theory, but in theory comunism works too.

Fred, on the Don't put batterys on the cement, you say that from experiance, or what?
i've heard the urban legond, and funny thing is, none of the battery companys agree, and we store new and used batterys on the shopp floor for months with no problems.
The dirt on the top of the battery causes a very minimal drain conducting electricitu from one post to the other...that's what our Interstate dealer says anyways. He also says the whole "don't store them on the floor" thing probably came from way back in the day, the batterys held the acid in glass bottles, and they were very poorly protected. So everyone paniced when one was being placed on the floor. Again, that's what he said anyways.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 04:36 PM   #6
1972C10
Account Suspended

Older batteries dont have the insulator in the bottom like new ones have. Its been a long time since they started putting the insulator there . I used to put them on a 2x6 Untill i found this out after that i just started putting them directly on the shop floor.
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote