The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2004, 02:17 AM   #1
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Spring question

Don't have pics here with me, but I saw a thread that had some springs for sale, and got to wondering. I've been assuming that sagging body mounts are to blame for the lean to the passenger side on my truck. The easiest way to see that it isn't square is to look from behind. You can tell that the pass. side of the tailgate is a little lower relative to the cab lines. But then I thought about the time I had a load of mulch on it, and the pass. side axle was against the bump-stop, but driver's side was fine.

So, finally, the question: Is it possible that the coil springs on the rear of the truck are the problem? How do I find out for sure? I guess I could just measure the overall length of each spring, huh?

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 06:04 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

measure the frame to pavement in a flat parking lot.
Don't forget to remove all the junk out of the bed, like the 2 ton jack and spare tire.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 07:14 AM   #3
Tynee
I miss this truck.

It seems like there are alot of extra components that could be causing the problem, that way though. Anyway, after I posted this, I went out and measured like I was talking about, from top to bottom of each spring. (you should have seen the way the security gaurd here at work looked at me as he drove by me under my truck on ramps in the poarking lot.) About a half inch difference. Out of curiousity, I'm gonna check out the pavement to frame like you said, too. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-08-2004, 09:20 AM   #4
Huck

Mr Obvious might suggest you also check the air in your tires, tire size, etc. If the wheels, tires, air pressure is all the same, then the frame to ground measurement should be the same. Then it's kind of simple to work your way up to the problem. A good option is to have some overload springs in place just for the "mulch issue" --been there done that! Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:13 PM   #5
bluec10

The same thing happened to me, except on the driver's side. When I took the bed off my truck I found that the dsr spring had broken, which explained why it was sitting lower. I just hadn't noticed it before the bed was off.
2019 BMW R1250 GSA - Yahoooooooo
1979 Honda GL 1000 - retro touring at its best.

Past:
'05 Sierra 4x4 - Had 270,000 KM and running well when it was written-off by a stop sign runner.
'94 F-150 from the "F word" company. I'll admit it...good truck. Sold what was left of it for $800 to a guy who came to pick it up at 11:00 PM with cash in hand. Hmm.
'79 Sierra Grande (Black) organ donor - perfect rebuildable 4-bolt 350 and a good TH350.
'76 Sierra Grande (Orange) - hate isn't too strong a word. Kid who bought it turned it into a hot rod.
'68 C-10 R.I.P. - Dad's old truck...too far gone to resurrect.
'59 C-50 - with hoist. Truck is gone, wife isn't. Nuff said.
bluec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:15 PM   #6
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Thanks for the input guys.