The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2004, 02:22 PM   #1
78' Silverado
\/ My Loves \/

Control Arm Question?

Well we got hte lower control arm off today. And were trying to replace the shaft bushing. Well its a metal housing with a poly bushing. MY question is....how do we tak the old ones off ? May be real easy but i cant just figure it out haha. But I dont think the shaft can just out right come out so how do I get the buhing to come out with the shaft. So I also need to clean it lol. Anyways..any help would be great thx!

383 Stroker in progress for the 78'!!!
78' Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 03:51 PM   #2
rolson1039

these things are pressed in and are a PITA to get out. The easiest way ive ever done it was to use my air chisel on the parts of the bushing you can see without damaging the control arm a happer and chisel will take care of the rest, sometimes a good screwdriver works too.
Fopr installing the new ones i throw them in the freezer for a long time ( couple of hours at least, sometimes overnight) to get them as small as possible. i lube up the hole in the arm with a little grease and I use a large socket to help me drive the bushings in . Its one of them jobs youre glad you only have to do once or twice in the lifetime of the truck
Old 10-09-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
78' Silverado
\/ My Loves \/

hey thx!!

Yea we used a Hammer and Chisle to get them out. Forgot about the brades on the sdie on one of them it was funny lol. And yea i was wonering about the install lol. Should work I guess...you can never lube some to much :P

383 Stroker in progress for the 78'!!!
78' Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote