The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2004, 08:07 AM   #1
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Dropped Spindles

I want to do a 2 1/2 & 4 drop to my 72 Big Block Long Fleetside. Reading different articles on dropped trucks I find some people just change the front spindles to lower their truck and leave the springs alone and some people put new lower springs as well as the lower spindles. Do you or should you change front springs when you put lower spindles on?
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 08:58 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

It just depends on what you want for your truck.
If you are only looking for 2" you can go either way, but obviously not both.
Spindles only will not change your ride at all.
Some of the drop springs are stiffer than your originals, so you really don't know what you are getting, ride-wise. Some say that the drop springs are as good or better than the old ones. I guess it just depends on the brand. The better brands are a bit more money but it is not a lot more. Either way springs are cheaper than spindles.

You can go with either and still add the other, if you decide to go lower later.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 04:31 PM   #3
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Lowering

Thanks for your response Longhair.. Do you get Classic Trucks magazine? In the March o4 issue page 72 there is a 69 Chev Short box that has the exact look and stance I want for my truck. I plan to run 17's like are on that truck. In the text it says his suspension is stock with "Belltech 2 3/4 Dropped Spindles" and used lowering blocks ( another thing I don't know anything about and don't think I've ever seen them advertised. ) on the rear. I want my truck to ride great and corner lots better than it does. Do you think just doing these things could accomplish that without changing springs or relocating shocks (the springs and shocks on my truck now are in excellent shape). Do you how much different front and rear sway bars make. I heard they make the truck ride hard..
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 04:55 PM   #4
neonlarry

Front and rear sway bars make a huge difference in handling and who ever you heard from that they make the truck ride hard is blowing smoke. The dropped spindles will work best for the front. On the rear I would go for dropped springs, shock relocators(to get them more verticle so they can do their job better) and an adjustable panhard bar so you can recenter the rear suspension after the drop.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 05:29 PM   #5
cdowns

front and rear swaybars are a great addition for the handeling of the truck.
for the front i'd suggest the dropped spindles and while you're doing the job change out the balljoints and get a pair of new stock height springs to finish the job
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote