The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2004, 07:36 PM   #1
Jimbotronics
YA YA

Thought I had it whipped - nope! Carb issues

I've done the search, I've adjusted, I've tweaked, I've fiddle f*cked with everything.... I still have issues

Idles nice, revs nice, runs out perfect, but will die coming up to a stop or turning.... I've adjusted the timing to tdc and even +/- several degrees no change. One thing I did notice is that I have a blown intake manifold gasket, quiet a bit of oil coming out from the back of the intake below the distributor. Hopefully it's something simple that I'm over looking... anyone help? (insert kicking, screaming, throwing mad fit smiley here)

'72 SWB - 350 (frame-off resto in progress - donations accepted)

'04 Chevy Avalanche

'03 Cadillac CTS (wife's ride)

Restoration progress - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335707
Jimbotronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:37 PM   #2
Jimbotronics
YA YA

oh ya - it's a newer 600 holley with a new dual plane intake.

'04 Chevy Avalanche

Old 10-13-2004, 07:45 PM   #3
cableguy0

check for vaccum leaks. if you have power brakes when you hit the brakes it will take away a lot of vaccum and cause the truck to die when you try to stop. use some carb cleaner and spray around the intake and carb gaskets if the truck revs up you found your problem. it sounds like you need to replace the intake gaskets anyways and just an fyi dont use the rubber end seals use a bead of rtv instead and you wont have that oil leak anymore
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:48 PM   #4
BraveDave

Ya' know, just about everything else on these trucks is plain and simple. I hate carburetors! Nobody really knows how they work. There are way too many parts and too many things to go wrong. I think voodoo makes them work.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:00 PM   #5
fast71
Drive it like U stole it

have you set the floats?
87 s10
96 burb
94 camry
53 5 window 3100
fast71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:03 PM   #6
Jimbotronics
YA YA

yup reved a little, though i didn't spray a whole lot - BUT i did notice a little puddle of fuel on the lower right of my intake before i ever sprayed the carb cleaner. guess that would point to a bad gasket? ****ty part is I paid a fella 300 bucks to change out the carb and intake manifold - though I've never done it, I think I can take my time and do a better job than he did.

Which brings me to the next question...lol, he has the negative wire on the automatic choke connecting right back to the carb, should that be?

'04 Chevy Avalanche

Old 10-13-2004, 08:04 PM   #7
Jimbotronics
YA YA

I agree BraveDave!

Haven't messed with the floats, don't know how - some guidance?

'04 Chevy Avalanche

Old 10-13-2004, 08:09 PM   #8
cableguy0

yes that neg is fine on the carb. i would say the floats are right if your not having other issues like running extremely rich and that sort of thing. go after those intake gaskets. sounds like the guy that did em is a jerk.where exactly is the fuel coming from? really should be anyway for fuel to puddle unless the carb is leaking. honestly these intakes are simple to install ya shoulda saved ur money. very straight forward on these old trucks. im willing to bet that if you put intake gaskets on that arent leaking the truck will lose its stalling problem
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:22 PM   #9
Jimbotronics
YA YA

Looked all over couldn't really tell - I'll change that gasket out tomorrow and then monitor it see if still does it. The only thing that nerves me is the pulling the distributor - It's an '87 350 anything to be concerned of?

'04 Chevy Avalanche

Old 10-13-2004, 09:10 PM   #10
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I realize you are focusing on the carb and intake, and rightfully so. But, I had a problem, although it was intermittent, in which I would let off of the gas and the engine would die. It always restarted, until a fateful Jan 1, 2003. It would not start. I had replaced the module in the HEI, twice (warranty), but that didn't help.

Finally, I yanked the GM HEI out and replaced it with an Accel HEI (reman unit). When inspecting the old HEI, found that the wire from the Pick up coil to the module was broken. It made contact, but letting off on the gas caused the vacuum advance to move the "breaker" plate, and the connection would break, and the engine would die. Once it died, the plate moved back and the connection was made up again, letting it restart.

I thought it was carburetor-related, but since I had a new QJet and intake, I decided it had to be something ignition-related, but just couldn't quite figure it out.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:30 PM   #11
Jimbotronics
YA YA

With the little puddle of fuel there that shouldn't be I would tend to think that the gasket is at least part of the problem, however, what you just described is almost to a tee of what's going on. I've been moving the distributor back and forth quiet a bit trying to get the timing honed in just right - is it possible I could've damaged that wire? Are you talking about a wire within the distributor itself or the wire that plugs into the distributor externally? I took her for a test drive a few mins ago, and it wants to die almost as soon as a take my foot of the trottle prior to aplying the brakes.

'04 Chevy Avalanche

Old 10-14-2004, 02:56 AM   #12
70short

Are you even running HEI? Because if your running points you could posibly have the wire that runs from your starter to the distributor, only used to supply the distributor with 12V during the start cycle. Before I converted over to HEI this wire would short out against my header (only in A turn obviously) causing the truck to die . If your not running HEI "SHAME ON YOU" it will make your life so much easier!
Weiand Stealth Intake
HEI
shorty Headers
4/2 Drop
295 50R 15 TOYO on 10 inch wide corvette rally rims at all 4 corners.
"CHEVY RULES"
70short is offline   Reply With Quote