The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2004, 05:39 PM   #1
flip66

Windsheild Seal

I am putting in a new windsheild, right now my truck has the chrome stip in it but I have heard it is really hard to put back in. Has anyone done this if so how hard is it or should I just get the seal with out the trim.
flip66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:00 PM   #2
HuggerCST

I've heard that too, but when I replaced mine I had no trouble. Just make sure that you get the right one. There is a early (pre '71), and a late('71-72) style seal, both for trim. My aftermarket seal didn't fit too good, so I plan to buy GM, but others have had no trouble.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
incoma

I've had a heck of a time with mine. I had 2 friends over helping me and it still didn't want to go in. My problem was the chrome kept popping out.
incoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:47 PM   #4
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I'll be doing that real soon. Any ideas why the chrome was popping out and how did you fix it?
Old 10-12-2004, 08:49 PM   #5
MOTHERTRUCKERS

Put the trim in the seal then the glass use 2" 3m blue tape to hold the trim/glass in the seal and use the rope method to install it. We use suction cups and slapping the glass flat handed to get it to seat in the grooves on the cab.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:53 PM   #6
incoma

Basically, I had one of my buddies press on the chrome while we "roped" the glass in, but towards the end we were having fits with the passenger top corner and stopped holding the chrome. We managed to get the rubber finished then realized that the chrome slipped out... I haven't fixed it yet. I'm going to wait for a rock to hit the windshield and let a pro do it. Right now it's close enough to not leak and it's not that noticable until you look for it. Besides, with all of the rocks around here I'm sure it'll only take 1 month to crack the windshield with a rock.
incoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:09 PM   #7
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I worked in glass for about 10 yrs, & will say that a 67 -72 is one of the worst to set. the rubber seal is easier than the chrome inset......IMO, if you have not played with glass, spend your bucks @ a local shop! Purchase their sheild, & they are responsible for any broken stuff during assembly Just so you know that is no "cop out " advice.....I cut & installed the the windsheild for my 4" chop top 69 glass is something that you really have to have a "feel" for.....10 yrs in it helped me a bunch.... best of luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:46 PM   #8
flip66

My time is popping out on my 69, will a 72 windsheild fit in a 69 cab and which seal do I need. one more thing what is the rope methode
Old 10-13-2004, 12:12 AM   #9
HuggerCST

Get the seal that matches the year of the chrome that you have. If the chrome is from a '72, then buy a seal for a '72, and it should fit. The rope method means to use a rope(say 1/4") to install it by pushing the rope into the seal groove all the way around the window, after you have installed the chrome into the rubber, and the rubber on the windshield. The two ends of the rope should meet at the bottom center. Lay the windshield on the opening, with the rope ends inside the cab. Have a buddy put a little pressure, or lightly "slap" it with a flat hand from the outside, while you "lip it", or pull the ends of the rope from inside. The rope will pull the lip into place as you pull it. The top corners can be tough, but just be patient, and you'll get it. The factory assembly manual reccomends using sealer at the top corners also.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com

Last edited by HuggerCST; 10-13-2004 at 12:31 AM.
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 11:58 AM   #10
flip66

I need to know what is the best seal to buy. Looks some of you might have had a problem with the aftermarket ones. If had good luck with the after market one where did you get it.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:15 PM   #11
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Wes sells Precision gaskets at www.classicheartbeat.com supposed to be best repro. I hear they are still GM available for around $100. Have not checked that out though.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:30 PM   #12
64fleetside

I use black duct tape to hold the trim on while installing, & always put the top in first, the top corners are nearly impossible to do later. 71-2 trim is not as deep as the 67-70 but all will interchange(no diff in outward appearance when installed) if you use the correct year rubber for the trim. I always install the rubber & trim on the glass the night before or so it has a chance to form to the glass. Brian
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 07:50 AM   #13
JJR

What is the best way to tell what trim you have. I have collected a couple of sets of trim over the last few years but did not note what year truck I pulled it from. I want to make sure I get the right rubber. 64fleetside mentioned that the 71/72 trim is not as deep as the 67-70 but both sets of trim I have look the same. Does anyone have pictures of both of them side by side or a depth measurement? Thanks.

Second Owner 70 C-10
Second Owner 93 GMC C1500
Third Owner 99 C2500 Crew Cab Short Bed
JJR is offline   Reply With Quote