The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2004, 08:41 PM   #1
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

What to do with my truck...

As many of you have seen in my signature my truck is off the road and uninsured. It has been since June. I'm trying to decide what to do with it.

Here is what is the bad:
Rearend is on its way out, needs new brakes on back and one hose up front, new set of tires, one exhaust pipe is partially crushed and hangers are broken, drive shaft is out of balance and in rough shape, and the left front shock is missing with a 2" long gash in the frame where the nut came loose and it wallowed out a hole. So it needs about $1000+ to be a regular driver again.

Here is the good:
The engine is a 300hp 350 that runs excellent, has 32k on the bottom end, and 7k on the top end. Tranny is a fresh TH350 with maybe 15k miles on it. Both work great. Front steering linkage has recently been gone through and i had an allignment so it tracks pretty straight.

Selling the truck is NOT an option. I drove it for 3-1/2 years, from when i was 16 and through my freshman year of college. I'm attached to it and miss driving it. Plus i would loose twice what i could get out of it on the local, or any market. And i'm not in desperate need of the money.

I start it up and drive it around the yard about every 2-3 weeks when i come home from school, but thats it. It has no problem roaring to life. My long term goal with the truck is to do a frame off resto, but that won't happen for a bare minimum of 3 more years, proably closer to 5. Right now it is parked behind my parent's shed. I don't think they particually care for it sitting there but they said it can be there for a few more years.

My concern is that my engine/tranny might become damaged from sitting outside so long. I like to start it up, but i can't drive it very far due to a lack of insurance.

So, i guess my question is really what i should do for long-term storage of the truck. Or is it started enough to make long term damage not a concern? Maybe put a tarp on it, put something in the engine so it won't be damaged from sitting too long, but keep it so i can still drive it if i have too. Its driveable, just not reliable or well enough to drive every day. Its also nice for moving stuff around our 80-acre property, but rarley gets used.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 09:00 PM   #2
sdkid

If you continue driving it like you have, I would call it ok. Just make sure it gets good and warmed up, and maybe change the oil at closer intervals.

Also, make a list of what it needs(inspiration), and start collecting the needed parts.
sdkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 09:24 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

put some fuel stabalizer in the tank, maybe stuff some tennis balls in the pipes if you are concerned with that stuff, make sure the carb is covered with an air filter at a minimum, I would prefer a stock enclosed one myself.
Just don't let it sit. Your driving it around the property is a good idea. I would keep an eye for leaks in the cab, or mold growing on it...ect. Give it a decent walk around when ever you do crank it up. Maybe wash it a couple times each season.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote