The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2004, 01:43 AM   #1
BurnoutNova

swaping lockouts... help

i have a 73 blazer im parting out, and it has some nice superwinch lockouts on it, and the lockouts on my 71 are stock. the superwinch lockouts seem to "lock in" better, with a loud click. so i was think i'll swap them. are they any better? it's not like ive ever had a probleom with the stock ones, but i figured why not while i have the chance.

is it difficult? i didnt just want to tear into it and not be able to put it back together.

thanks,
zach
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 02:52 PM   #2
Gator70

I have never used the superwinch hubs, but I really like the Warn premium hubs p/n 20990. They have a 3/4 turn to engage. makes it really nice when things get cold or mucked up. Have also used regular Warn hubs p/n 9790 with 1/4 turn lock. The premiums just seem to nicer on the hands to lock in. The install is a piece of cake. Remove the allen head bolts around the ring. Pull out the outer housing. inside should be 2 retainer rings. one on the shaft and on around the outer part of the hub. then comes the tricky part of pulling out the inner hub, sometimes youll need to grab a couple of the bolts from the outer ring and pull out the inner hub assy and BAM youre done. Lightly grease ( I like white lithium grease) the new hubs going in and reverse the order things came out.

2014 Denali 1500 6.2L
Gator70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 06:50 PM   #3
1969 GMC

if you still have the stock blue lockout caps, they are worth some money to the right person, because the blue caps are no longer made.

also, you should try to take your stock hubs apart and clean them out. when i first got my truck, the lockouts would just spin and not catch anything. it turned out there was this thick azz nasty grease in there. i took the hubs apart, cleaned them in a partswasher, and put em back together with a little dab of yellow grease, and they clicked, very positive engagement, and worked pretty decently.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote