The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2004, 11:28 PM   #1
Tool

Question Need help with Fuel pump

I'm tryin to change out the fuel pump on my dad's old 77 Gmc 4x4, and I got the old one off, now I can't get the new one back on. I just won't fit back in; a buddy of mine told me you could bump the ignition and make the engine turn over just a bit, and it would slide right in, but that isn't workin for me. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 11:32 PM   #2
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

The problem is the fuel pump push rod. It rides on the eccentric on the cam and pushes the lever on the fuel pump. When you removed the old pump, it fell down against the fuel pump mounting plate. You can do two things: 1. pull the mounting plate (you'll need a new gasket), remove the push rod, put some grease on it and shove it back in all the way. The grease should hold it or you can put a long bolt in the second hole up on that side on the front of the block to hold it.

2. The other is to push the rod up and if it is only slowly falling back down, just get the pump in there before it falls. This has worked for me once or twice, I usually have to do what I said above.
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 12:38 AM   #3
Tool

still can't get it in

I got the push rod to go up, and it falls real slow, but when I put the pump back on, it's either below the bolt holes or above them. I sat out there for the past hour tryin to figure out what's keepin it from lining back up, but I just can't figure it out. Thanks for the response earlier, please, anymore suggestion will be more than welcom.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:03 AM   #4
hotrodhomi

I've had luck with moving the pushrod up as far as it will go and then lining up the lever on the pump and push the pump in place. There will be tension on the pump that will try to keep it from lining up, this you have to overcome. this is because the pump always has pressure on it when mounted. The pressure just increases when the pushrod moves out.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 06:59 AM   #5
bigblock73
yeller

Tool, I completely agree with what the others have said...it is the pushrod that is giving you the problem. Another way to resolve it is to get a real long and skinny standard screwdriver and use it to hold the pushrod back while sliding the pump in with your other hand. Once you get one of the two bolts started, pull out the screwdriver and then start the other bolt. I have had better luck putting in the rear bolt first...then the front. Once you get the pump in you will realize how easy it can be, and the next time you do it it will be that much easier. Good luck.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
mhicks

Use one of the bolts from the fuel pump to hold the rod in as stated above. The first time I used grease to hold it in until I found out that the fuel pump bolt works.
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 07:50 PM   #7
leastbay

i agree the easiest way is just to use one of the bolts that are holding the fuel pump to hold the rod up
leastbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:43 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Here is a pic of where you need to put the bolt so it will make contact with the rod. Push the rod up and run the bolt in until it touches the rod. Install the pump, remove the bolt and call it done. Simple as pie. Don't fight with the fuel pump and rod trying to get it installed.
Attached Images

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:35 AM   #9
SanitysBane

and do not over tighten that bolt holding the pushrod up!
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 01:41 AM   #10
jimfulco

You still have to push against spring tension before it gets all the way to the block.

If you tighten up that holding bolt much more than finger-tight, it will bend the rod.

If you use the holding bolt method, be sure you put a short bolt in the hole afterwards to prevent oil from leaking out. Use sealer on it.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 02:09 AM   #11
Russell
Professional Grade

I usually use a screwdriver to push it up a bit, then shove my finger in there to hold it up, then put the pump's tounge in. After that, just get the bolts started, and as you bolt it on, the pump will fall into place. Just take it easy with the bolts so you don't strip or break anything.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:24 AM   #12
Tool

You guys are great, I really appreciate the responses. I finally got it in with an old clothing hangar, and lots of patience. I also managed to swap the U-joints out on the back drive shaft. This old truck, was the first truck my dad ever owned, and it's been sittin in my papaw's field for the past 10 years. Fourtnate for the old truck, I got with a young lady who has a 86' chevrolet 4x4, and she was always doggin me about how crappy new vehicles are, so I just had to get the old GMC! I appreciate the help, my mechanic went a-wall, so now I'm doin it myself, and don't have much experience, just a need for knowledge. It's always nice to talk to somebody who's already been there.
Just wonderin, where did the picture with the illustration come from. Unfourtnately, I didn't see the picture of where the whole is until after I got it in. "That just didn't sound right, but thanks non the less"
ELV.
03 Silverado SS
00 GMC3/4 ton 4x4
77 GMC 4x4
92 Chevrolet 4x4 4 Sale
97 GMC Z71 4 Sale I Like them GM Trucks, need to sell one or two if interested

Last edited by Tool; 10-20-2004 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:30 AM   #13
plumbcut
california fill

so where are you from and what do you do?? good find on the 77 GMC.. I got one myself

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:31 PM   #14
Tool

I am from Poplarville, MS. it's a small hick town south of Hattiesburg. Right now I'm still attending the local high school, and the local community college. Over the summer, me and my buddy, who was one of the best local mechanics decided to start buying vehicles, and reselling them, that's why I have the 97' and 92' 4x4's. I supplied all the funds, and he would fix any mechanical problems, and we were gonna split the profits. Now he's gone a-wall, so I'm just fixin the two trucks up for run abouts. As far as the old GMC, it's been sittin in my papaw's back yard for the past 10 yrs. All it took was some gas, oil, and a new battery, and she was runnin again. The old ac still had R-12 in it. The only thing wrong with it when they parked it was the front driveshaft came off, so daddy parked it for some stupid reason, and bought a 83 s-15, which I still have.