The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2004, 11:27 AM   #1
Prerunner1982

Trans filter change?

ok... my trans has started slipping quite a bit lately. Usually only when its first started up. It will take a bit to engage into rev, or drive.. and will slip out of gear the first few corners i go around. After i have driven it and its up to operating temp i usually dont have a problem again until it has set for some time. Any ideas on this?

Also, how hard is it to replace the filter and such (what all needs to be replaced in a filter/fluid change)...with the trans still in the truck?
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:44 AM   #2
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

trans fuild change

Prerunner, it is not that difficult to change the fluid and filter. Drop the trans pan and then the filter. Replace the filter then the gasket and pan. I have found in the past, if the tranny is slipping now, after you change the fluid and filter the slipping might get worse and happen more often. It might be worth making sure the fluid is always full and let it warm up more before driving. Of coarse the last resort would be to rebuild the tranny, or purchase a new one and swap it out.
1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 01:39 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

It's not hard to change the fluid and filter, but I think in your case, it's a waste of time and money. If I were guessing, I'd say your tranny is on it's way out. Once it starts the not engaging thing, it's not long before it won't go into gear at all.

A slipping tranny can't be fixed by changing the fluid and filter. Been there, done that.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 02:56 PM   #4
Prerunner1982

guess i need to get the Tbird rolling so i can park the truck.......
Old 10-19-2004, 05:58 PM   #5
plumbcut
california fill

if the filter is THAT old & clogged, it will restrict the flow of fluid enough to keep it from engaging until it warms up... Ive seen it many times w/ th350's and once with a 700r4.

Prerunner- any idea on how long its been since the fluid and filter have been changed? I dont disagree with swervin very often- but this time I do. I would change the fluid and filter TONITE if I were you.. it might fix the problem, it might buy you a few months, it might do nothing but at least you'll know how to do it w/ the next (new) tranny

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 06:21 PM   #6
arveetek
Ultimate Diesel Dude

I agree with plumbcut. The filter could be partially clogged enough to restrict fluid flow when cold, but after the fluid warms up, it will flow better. It's a cheap enough repair, and it needs to be done anyway. What's the worst that could happen? Transmission quits? Is that any worse than parking it now?

It's not hard, but it's messy. I never understood why they never installed tranny drain plugs. Anyway, here's what you do: buy a new filter, it should come with a new gasket, and buy about 5 or 6 quarts of ATF. I think that's how much you'll need, it's been a while since I've done one.

Next, place a large drain pan under the tranny and remove all but one of the tranny pan bolts. Loosen the remaining bolt. The pan will probably be stuck, so use a putty knife and carefully pry the pan down towards you. Stay out of the way so you don't get washed with tranny fluid. Some of the oil will drain down into the pan, but most is still in the tranny pan. Push up on the pan and remove the last bolt and carefully drop it down and pour the fluid into the drain pan.

Now, remove the old filter by pulling straight down. It's just held in by a large o-ring. Make sure the old o-ring comes out and doesn't stay stuck inside the tranny. Look at the ring on the new filter to see what it looks like.

Lube up the o-ring on the new filter with some clean tranny fluid, and push it up all the way into it pops into place. Install the new gasket, reinstall the pan, and then top off the tranny with fluid. Piece of cake.

The worst think about changing the the tranny fluid is that you're really only getting about half of the fluid out. The other half stays inside the torque converter.

My 700R4 got to where the TC was slipping last year when it should have been locked up, but only when it was cold. I took it to the shop and had them back flush the tranny to get all of the old oil out of the TC. Been working great since.

Good luck!

Casey
Old 10-19-2004, 07:55 PM   #7
69 air cab

My tranny had not been changed..........I think forever (20 years) when I bought the truck. I change the filter and fluid ( and yes it is messy......get a big pan) and put new seals in mine and now she won't even move without flooring it. It did shift kinda ok but leaked real bad. So........now I am pulling to rebuild. I do agree........try changing first before rebuilding or parking.
69 air cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:04 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Believe you me, I had many autos slip and would change the fluid and filter thinking it would fix it. If it's slipping and don't engage when put into gear, the clutches are probably gone. I would probably change it too, as I always have, but don't get your hopes too high.

I've got a 92 Chevy van with a 700R4 that when it sits over the weekend, don't like to go into gear on Monday mornings. It's on it's last leg. I've changed the fluid and filter in it too. Didn't help anything. The trouble with it is it was a service van before I bought it. A mirror installation company leased it. It had probably never had the fluid changed and this is the reason it's slipping. One thing you can do sometimes to test how bad it might be. If/when you pull the pan, if there are tons of metal dust in the pan and the fluid looks like brown syrup and smells like burnt crud, you just as well button it back up and start looking for another one.

Anyway, it's OK to disagree with me. I hope for your sake it does fix it.

Mike
Old 10-19-2004, 11:20 PM   #9
SanitysBane

i agree with swerv, i tried changing the filter and the oil, in a couple of 700R4s that i had in my truck, but they were shot anyways, to me its a waste of time, be shure to check the fluid level, usally if its running out of oil its already torn something up, or alot of somethings.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:54 AM   #10
stan79chevy

mine was slipping the exact same way

when i put in in reverse it would take 3-4 seconds to engage. after about a month it died completely. i changed the fluid and filter that didnt help it any mostly a waste of time and money.

stan

01 S-10 ZR2 extended cab
4.3/4L60E/233
3.73 gear 31" DICK CEPEK CRUSHERS
stan79chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 09:36 AM   #11
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by arveetek
Now, remove the old filter by pulling straight down. It's just held in by a large o-ring. Make sure the old o-ring comes out and doesn't stay stuck inside the tranny. Look at the ring on the new filter to see what it looks like.
That o-ring must be a 700R4 thing. I don't know what transmission Prerunner1982 has, but my TH350C has a screw and a gasket on the filter.

Slonaker
Old 10-20-2004, 01:00 PM   #12
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

If it wont go into gear until its warm odds are the seals are old and hard.
This would cause them to not seal correctly until they warm up and become softer and allow pressure to build up.
When you change tranny fluid add a trans seal conditioner to see if that helps.
If it does help its only a tempary fix.
Time to go transmition shopping would be my bet.
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:04 PM   #13
arveetek
Ultimate Diesel Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker
That o-ring must be a 700R4 thing. I don't know what transmission Prerunner1982 has, but my TH350C has a screw and a gasket on the filter.

Slonaker

Well, since it's been probably 10 years since I changed the fluid on a TH350, I will have to say you must be right. Yep, I was just going on the experiences of my 700R4.

Casey
Old 10-21-2004, 12:56 AM   #14
jimfulco

I'd see if it's not just a wee bit low on fluid. Add a pint & see what happens. Liquids expand when warm, & T350's are famous for slipping when just a little low, & cornering could pull the fluid off the pickup some.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 12:26 PM   #15
Prerunner1982

Ok....well.... i did most of this in the dark but i got it done.. what a PITA! there really should be a drain plug in the pan. when i pulled the filter off....a bolt fell with it. WTF? i finally found where it went and got it back in.. that kinda bothered me. got everything back in and put the pan on.. son of a gun i am missing a bolt. they were all right there. One sprouted legs and walked away. luckily i happened to have one that fit in the toolbox. filled her up and she runs fine now.. guess its time to save some money, and hopefully this will buy me some time.. until tax returns would be nice..
Old 10-22-2004, 04:40 PM   #16
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I hope it lasts a long time for you Jon. I hate to be the bearer of bad news or something, but don't be too surprised if it starts getting worse than it was. Usually, when one starts slipping, especially from not having the fluild and filter changed, if and when you do change it, the new fluild will loosed up crud and plug everything up. Tranny fluid has tons of detergent in it and the old fluid has broken down. The new fluid will clean everything out and this means dirt.

It might benefit you to drive it for a little while and change it again.

You are right about the pans needing drain plugs. My truck has one now. The reason they didn't put drain plugs was because they were afraid folks would only drain the fluid and not drop the pan to change the filter.

Did you find out where the bolt that fell out went to?
Old 10-22-2004, 05:25 PM   #17
Prerunner1982

yes i found where the bolt went, but probably couldnt do much of a job trying to explain it to you.

it was close to the mechanism that provides tension and has like 6 teeth on it in a 1/4 circle gear. the bolt went right under (more like above since i was working from underneath) a large shaft that would move when gears were selected....