The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2004, 04:12 PM   #1
TugOwar

WHEEEEEEEEW!!!!

Well went out this morning and put the rope back in the channel in the rubber, and WD-40'd the crap outa the gasket. Over lapping the rope for about a foot seemed to help when getting the lip of the rubber started.

We set the bottom onto the pinch weld first, eyeballed that the winsheild was centered, then started at the top center pulling. I was so sure that the rubber wouldn't stay inside the cab once we started working toward the outside. Shows ya what I know, it stayed inside just enough to hold it's self.

We worked from the top center toward each side a little at a time till both sides were a couple inchs from the corner. Then started at the bottom center and worked out to the bottom corners and up each side. Now we only had the corners left. Having the rope looped behind the corner and being able to pull both sides made the corners a cinch!

I had to put my knees up on the wiper cowl and crawl across pushing the top all the way in. A couple of places along one side didn't want to seat completely but a little pushing and pulling handled it.

The one place I'm unhappy with is the inside top edge about 3 inchs from each corner. Kinda has like 2 or 3 little "waves" in the rubber. In other words the rubber isn't laying flat. Maybe time and/or heat will flatten it out. dunno.

Anyway the glass is installed, looks good. So much nicer than my old, cracked, cloudy windsheild. Thats probably the most nerve wracking thing I've done in a while and I'm not itchin to do it again any time soon.

But I have Wes to thank for a good quality gasket, my local glass shop for a very flexable windsheild, and all you guys for great advice and a helpful attitude. I really appreciate it.

Now if you don't mind I'm gonna go admire OUR handy work!

P.S. This windsheild had a PPG sticker on it. The same PPG as the paint company. Is that significant?
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote