The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2002, 12:10 PM   #26
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Well, the reason why it is illegal and very dangerous is because people often (not everyone), in a panic situation, will push on both the gas and the break at the same time. As many of you know, the gas almost always wins so rather than slowing down, they actually propel themselves faster into the back of the car in front of them, living room of their neighbors, or the child crossing the street. I agree, that it is a very dangerous habbit. There may be somepeople who actually have better reaction times, but if it were proven to be safer for all, that is how they would teach everyone to drive. And yes, it a lot of left-foot breakers do ride the pedal enough to turn on the break light.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 01:56 PM   #27
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Thank god someone else spoke up besides me. I knew I wasn't alone. Thanks Bouncy.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:48 PM   #28
Stepside
Gasser

Why do I feel the need to reply? Might as well spit in a fan. Ya'll keep studying now, ya hear?
No rice here
Old 06-24-2002, 11:33 PM   #29
ebfabman

Always been a left braker and no my left foot never touches the brake when my right foot is on the gas. How do I know this, because when I was a young race car driver the cars I drove were equiped with a small red dash mounted light that would come on when the brake pedal was touched. Why? because you are using up tires and wasting horse power when your on the brakes, so we learned to be smooth on the gas and make a smooth transition from the gas pedal to the brake pedal. Best done when the right foot works the gas and left foot operates the brake.

SMOOTH IS FAST and MUCH SAFER!

Here's a challenge instead of slam the gas,slam the brakes in traffic like 99% of the drivers, take a vehicle with cruise control out on on the interstate and try to drive it WITHOUT touching the gas OR the brake, just use the accel, coast, and cruise buttons on the cruise control. You'll really have to pay attention to be able to anticipate the slowing of 70-80 mhp traffic, but it will make a good smooth driver of you (if you can do it without wrecking). The people who ONLY SLOW DOWN when they see brake lights will go crazy thinking your brake lights DON'T WORK!
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 02:46 AM   #30
imdarren

Just an idea.
You will need to secrafice a good brake pedal.
Cut off the existing pedal just below where the linkage hooks up.
Take an old clutch pedal, and somehow connect it to the inner shaft that rotates inside the outer sleeve on the left side where the clutch usually goes up at the top of the assy.
I don't know if this would work. But it's worth a try.
The trick would be connecting the clutch (new brake) pedal at the top of the rotating assy. so that the part you left, and didn't cut (on the right side) actuates when you push on the left side.
may be some minor fab work. But nothing as bad as fire wall work.
Darren

1967 Chevy C10 LWB Rodstoration In Progress.
1972 K20 Cheyenne Super
imdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 04:12 AM   #31
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

my new 72 and bouncytruck, you're both wrong! Just kidding!:p Yeah, of course I can agree to disagree. I'll still advocate proper left foot braking and you can tell people its bad. LOL
Anyway, another way I can tell I have the brake on is when my 3rd brakelight comes on; I can see the reflection on the rear window.
Efabman, I try to do this when I'm on the highway in a vehicle with cruise. I too usually try to use the brake as little as possible to increase my mileage; I'm a pretty good gauge traffic behavior and predicting.
Left foot braking really isn't a bad thing when you know how to do it properly. Try it sometime.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Last edited by Brad; 06-25-2002 at 04:17 AM.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 04:36 AM   #32
Patrick Sullivan
Transcendental Trucker

I just wanna how left foot brakers use the clutch and the brake at the same time.

Or do they all drive automatics?
1998 Dodge Dakota 4x4

So, fill to me the parting glass
And drink a health whate'er befalls...
Then gently rise and softly call
Goodnight and joy be to you all!
Patrick Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote