The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 10:41 AM   #26
72shadetree
KEEP ON TRUCKING

it should have never be posted on here because he stated to start with that ed offered to replace them.i can understand if they had been replaced and still wasnt right then he should have asked for his money back.but ed tried to replace them but he was mad because he wasted the weekend as he stated.when working on something how many times have yall been ill because things didnt go right it happens.im dealing.
i have been dealing with the post office for 3 months now on stuff that was broken that was antique and cant be replaced i was upset but theyre working on it.
i dont know ed or bought from him but with his rep. on the board i will buy from him sometime in the future

as far as buying parts local instead of mail order i live less than 1 mile from a parts dealer and he gives me 10% discount i can still order parts and pay shipping and save a lot of money on the same part or sometimes its better qualitty.if i need it in ahurry then i go up there if not i order it

71 k20 sons

bassett va
Old 04-19-2004, 10:48 AM   #27
Shane65

If any flaming needs to be done, I believe it should be towards UPS. Their carelessness in handling is unbelieveable. I've heard many horror stories involving them. I shipped some aluminum trim parts that were very rare and the ebay buyer had paid a respectable price for them. It was sent in a very strudy container yet they managed to damage the parts enough that they were junk. I took an identical container to them to let them demostrate what it would take to recreate the damage. They refused, saying they know how strong it is. When I was shipping it, they refused to insure it because it is considered "antique parts"(65 Nova SS trim). I ended up refunding the ebayer his money, out of my pocket.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:20 AM   #28
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

Quote:
Originally posted by ts71281
But then again......... Who's to say Ed would have done anything if 67 prostreet hadn't posted this? Sometimes (and unfortunately most of the time) the little guy has to make some noise before the big guy starts listening. I've been in 67's shoes before, and it's sure funny how your money can get taken so easily, but never given back as easily. I don't think 67 was out of line at all.

Joe
Well considering that Ed has been around this board for the longest time I really doubt he would try to screw a member of the board knowing if he did it would affect his name with others on the board.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:29 AM   #29
70cst

I would have to agree with Shane65 on this...I've used UPS and though they are fairly fast in shipping they have a lot of employees who could care less about the products they are shipping. I realize there are some very dedicated employees at UPS...but many of the employees are there just for the money and could care less about their customers. And yes I do care about my customers for I am in sales and if I do not have a satisfied customer base then I'm out of a job. I'm not protected in my job like many others.
I think I have the solution... Lets blame General Motors...if they would'nt have made the 67-72 Chevy/GMC Trucks then this would not have happened. Again the point is this...As we go through life we all will have big dissapointments and we all have to decide...how we will repond to those unfortunate situations. We all have one big problem..we're human and theres nothing we can do about that and as humans we are all going to mess up once in a while. So are we going through life looking at a glass that's half full or half empty. I say half full!! What say yee?

Old 04-19-2004, 11:55 AM   #30
1970blazin
Blazerless:-(

It sound to me like this post probably shouldn't have ever been posted. 67 Prostreet did his part by packing the parts right and Ed did his part by offering a refund, and/or replacing the parts and making things right. Sounds like both of you guys were screwed by UPS not each other!
I have also been screwed by UPS- I bought a console off ebay and it arrived in about 6 pieces....I did get a refund, but like it was said- the seller had to get the refund and then send it to me...took at least 2 months. You just have to be patient, and I hope you can get the full amount. I heard anything over $100 has to be insured more. Good luck to 67prostreet and Ed at Mothertruckers----you can't make everybody happy ALL of the time. The reason I even looked at this post is because I couldn't believe he was calling Ed a "scam artist" I think 67prostreet could have been a little more tactful, I understand he was angry, but like all the guys have said these trucks have ways of pissing us all off with the little setbacks After it is all said and done this board is a great place filled most of the time with amazing and resourceful guys (and gals)!!!
Diane

1970 CST Blazer-Orig. Dark Blue-SOLD

Progress Pics of Blazer for sale
Old 04-19-2004, 12:12 PM   #31
butter

I have bought a great deal of parts from Ed and everything has been very good. I have even had to return an item and it went very good. Ed does a good job and he knows his trucks and parts.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:59 PM   #32
junkyardjohn

I HAVE BEEN PERSONALLY VERY HAPPY WITH MY TRANSACTIONS WITH ED AT MOTHERTRUCKERS, & WOULDN'T HESITATE FOR A MINUTE TO DEAL WITH HIM IN THE FUTURE. ( ORIG. POSTED BY MOTHERTRUCKERS For you to come on the board without calling me is a little matter we can discuss privately over the phone.)(THATS A CLASS ACT)
NOW DEALING WITH 67PROSTREET WOULD BE AN ALLTOGETHER DIFFERENT MATTER. TO BEGIN WITH I NEVER KNOWINGLY DEAL WITH KIDS (ANYONE UNDER 18) & I WOULD BE AFRAID THAT IF THE PARTS WERE LOST IN SHIPMENT, I WOULD BE ACCUSED OF BEING A SCAM ARTIST, & A RIPPOFF.

PICKMUP...... FRANK... THAT WAS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE MOST NEGATIVE ADVERTISING I'VE EVER SEEN. I'M GLAD YOU'RE DOING SO WELL THAT YOU DON'T NEED ANY NEW CUSTOMERS, CAUSE WITH STATEMENTS LIKE YOUR'S ... YOU'RE SURE NOT LIKELY TO GET ANY.
JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
Old 04-19-2004, 01:03 PM   #33
Cruiser71
AKA Phillip Johnson, AKA BANNED

I had to file a claim with UPS several months ago as they screwed over the side of my driveway. The local driver has and continues to run off the side into the dirt and then jump back on the pavement, just to avoid backing up. I have asked several times, called several times and they still do it. Once I stated that I would have a spike strip burried in the dirt and they would be replacing tires, they finally reduced the "4 wheeling" the big brown trucks off my driveway. I did in fact send them the bill for the repair. It took them alomst 4 months to send a check, that I might add was less than 1/2 of the bill. Not happy at all with the attitude of UPS!
Old 04-19-2004, 01:12 PM   #34
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

I normally stay clear of commentary in posts such as this, however if feel compelled to comment here.

I've had numerous business dealings with Ed, all of them positive and I'd recommend him to anyone and still will. I also consider Ed a friend though we've never met face-to-face because he's honest and has a genuine interest in these trucks that goes beyond making a fast buck.

I think the thread starter has admitted in not so many words that he was going to be unhappy regardless. After all, he would not even accept replacement parts, when it was discovered the wrong part was shipped in error. Who among us has not made a mistake at some point? Who among us has not gotten the wrong part and wasted some time in the process? To not even try to mitigate the situation by accepting Ed's offer of replacement parts shows a lack of maturity.

What transpired between the time the parts were returned and now may be open for debate, but does anybody really believe that Ed Cooper would risk his business reputation over such a relatively small amount had the events transpired exactly as detailed by the thread starter? I for one can't believe it.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
Old 04-19-2004, 01:28 PM   #35
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

CPNE,

Well stated, Ed has now had his company publically blasted and I have to believe that this could have been handled differently.

There are too many things that can go wrong with transactions and folks like Ed would not be in business if he did the things he was accused of. Recently, I sent a spring to a board member and all he received was the envelope! In another transaction, UPS told the sender that I had rejected a package and had it returned to the sender. They even claimed that they had my signature!

Things happen that are out of anyone's control and I would hate to see Ed's good reputation damaged over a situation like this.

Jim
Old 04-19-2004, 01:29 PM   #36
Solver

I have done business with Ed in the past and been very satisfied with his products and knowledge!
  • 1972 Cheyenne Super 10 LWB-green
  • 1972 GMC 4x4 LWB-White
  • 1971 Cheyenne 10 LWB-Ochre
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Copper
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Black
  • 1969 Custom 10 LWB-lt blue
  • 1968 GMC 3/4 ton-green
  • 1968 1/2 ton swb stepside-silver
  • 1967 Chevrolet CST 10 LWB-green
  • 1967 Chevrolet custom 20 LWB-Maroon
Old 04-19-2004, 01:36 PM   #37
67chevemall

1 2 3 ED! 1 2 3 WES!

Keep n it real!

Old 04-19-2004, 01:48 PM   #38
70cst

If you go back to a thread named Three Top Suppliers?...You will see that Ed was listed in the "Hall of Fame" of suppliers list on 3/18/04. This was based on input from this board and I have no doubt that this is where MOTHERTRUCKERS belong along with other fine parts suppliers! As mentioned there will be times when a customer will be unhappy so if you can keep 99% of your customer base happy you have succeded in the business world. Also the way Ed responded was the way a good business person responds. I notice he did not throw sticks back at 67pro-street which did take some restraint because no one wants to be called to the carpet with out justification. I also thank Josh for letting this thread run its course as I believe this issue for the most part has been resolved and we will continue to purchase our parts from Ed and the other fine parts suppliers. As for 67pro-street...he may have learned a lesson in diplomacy...It's obvious that Ed has learned that fine art of business.
Again this is a great board as we all have our opinions and sometimes we just have to agree to disagree at times but we all still own our prize possessions...Our trucks which fall in line right after our families.

Last edited by 70cst; 04-19-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:49 PM   #39
busterwivell

I've never done business with Ed, but wouldn't hesitate to do so. He instantly offered to sent the correct parts free to solve the problem, and then would have been on the hook with UPS to resolve. Instead, he's blasted with a "got better cheaper" shot. After reading the slam, gives his toll free number to discuss the matter privately, instead of slamming back. Class act, Ed!
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
Old 04-19-2004, 01:54 PM   #40
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

I have been doing buisness with Ed since I started my project last fall. I have bought a cab, spindles, springs and misc. used parts from him with no problems. Most of the parts I have gotten have been drop shipped directly from the manufacturer or larger distributers. I live about 2 hours south from his shop and have been up there a couple of times to pick up larger items and just to look at some of the used stuff. To say Ed is a scam artist is completely off base, I understand you may feel that way because of your experience, but I can honestly say I dont see that in him and dont think he is capable of ever wanting to defraud anyone. Most of times he wouldnt want to sell me parts I can get cheaper at a local autoparts or chevy(a couple of times I had to pry the parts from him because I was too lazy to follow his advice). What other vender would give you a part number and where to buy sometime at a better price.

Last edited by jamis; 04-19-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:58 PM   #41
Brewski*

Someone delete this post~!

Seems that everyone is taken care of. So shouldn't this post be deleted~!

Last edited by Brewski*; 04-19-2004 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:12 PM   #42
67chevemall

Since this is a dumb thread I thought I'd nab #500!

Old 04-19-2004, 02:28 PM   #43
67pro-street

First of all, i didnt come on the board to post this message because Ed sent me the wrong year spindles. I understand that people make mistakes as i have made many myself. The reason why i brought this to the board is because i have been waiting 4 months for Ed to give me my refund. If any of you guys were in my shoes waiting for almost half a year to get $269 back, which for someone who is only 17 is a lot of money, then you would also be mad. And the reason why i decided not to get replacement spindles from ed was because i found cheaper ones at ECE. Also, if i did get replacement ones from Ed then i would have to wait for the spindles to be sent down to Florida, and then wait for new ones to be sent back up to washington and i really didnt have the time for that because soccer season was starting and soccer takes up all my weekends and free time, so i never would have been able to finish my truck until summer time. As for pickumup, i know all about supporting local vendors. In fact, i have dealt with WES numerous times. Maybe since you are doing so well in you business, you could get a website, or a catalog, or something that tells what you have at your store without having people drive all the way out there because most people dont have the time or the equipment (truck) to come all the way out there and get parts from you. The reason why i decided to go with Ed in the first place was because of all the good things people have said about him on this board. Maybe that is one of the reasons why i was so mad when it took him four months, and he still hasnt returned my money. Lastly, i re read my post that i wrote last night and it may have come off in a rude manner, but i was just pretty pissed off last night. I shouldnt have called Ed a scam-artist, but just put yourself in my shoes, and maybe you will understand where i am coming from.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:54 PM   #44
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Putting myself in your shoes, I'd give Ed a call on his nickle and settle this off-line. I don't know of any business that will refund your money until the goods are returned undamaged and resellable.

In your case this obligation was not fulfilled thru no fault of yours or Ed's. You can't expect an immediate refund until the shipper (UPS) can fulfill it's obligations. Speaking from experience, dealing with UPS claims does take weeks if not months. Also from my experience, it is the sender who has to file the claim not the recipient, so I'm unclear as to why Ed has to do this work. Finally, when shipping anything, insure it for it's replacement value!! Lesson learned.

From what I've been able to gleen from reading this you have recieved an offer for a full refund and Ed will be out some money because of the lack of insurance (by rights, your responsibility). Please put yourself in Ed's shoes now.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
Old 04-19-2004, 02:55 PM   #45
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

It doesn't take 4 months to stay in communication with the customer. I would be pissed to. Communication is the key when it comes to a business transaction. The communication was VERY poor. I say leave this thread.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:56 PM   #46
'70_402

I realize that you are 17 but just because you are younger than some of us doesn't mean that you should get special treatment or service. You get the same service that the rest of us get. You are the one that ordered the parts it is not Ed’s responsibility to give you time off from soccer to put them on, that is your problem. That is the way the world works, get used to it. I started rebuilding my truck when I was 15 and delt with some of the same problems that you did with some of my vendors, and I learned from each situation and now I allow for mishaps, as you said everyone makes mistakes. I know that Ed was not trying to screw you! Freight companies have a bad reputation for taking a long time to get with claims. I hope that you realize that you are not the first and for sure not the last person to have to wait for something that is owed to you! Also it sounds like to me that you or your dad were probably just as overemotional on the phone with Ed as you are on this board. This might not be true but just my observation. You will learn with age that patience is always a good virtue. Didn't mean to get on a soap box for a minute but had to get it out.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:57 PM   #47
supercheyenne

Quote:
Originally posted by 67pro-street
but just put yourself in my shoes, and maybe you will understand where i am coming from.

We've all been young and most of us have over-reacted. I think most of us can relate.

A) You should have just contacted the Credit Card company when you first decided this was a dispute. Then you and Ed could have solved this problem in a mature way.

B) The world isn't on your deadline. You keep talking about how much time you wasted or lost, but never seem to care how much time Ed has invested in this transaction. He's not getting dick for any of this, plus you've drug his name through the mud.

I'm not down on you and I'm not marking this against Ed. I'm chalking this one up to hormones and moving on.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:38 PM   #48
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
I get calls continuously from guys that bought all their big parts somewhere else and now they need help making them work. HELL NO! I spend my time & efforts helping my customers, the ones that buy here and live here!

Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but I also work in sales. I sell very expensive CNC equipment, and I can tell you something about "helping out" an unsatisfied customer of your competition. If you go that so-called "extra mile" to help him out, I can almost promise you that he won't call your competitor next time he is ready to place an order. Regardless of whether its a set of $8 spark plugs or a $100,000+ piece of machinery ... you help him out when he is in need and he will remember it.

You may be "doing fine," but by doing business in the way in which you described it, you are losing out on a lot of potential customers and even worse LIFETIME customers. I'm doing "fine" in my business too ... but I always have room for more business.

Not meant as a flame, but your post comes across as "sour grapes" that this kid spent his money with someone other than you ... and in the future, I imagine alot of other folks will spend their money elsewhere in light of your post.

Remember: "You will attract more flies with sugar than with vinegar."

Just my .02 cents worth.

Last edited by Shane; 04-19-2004 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:54 PM   #49
COBALT

Quote:
I am 17 years old, and Ed knew this. In order to make my money, I got a job and actually paid for the parts by myself without the help of my parents.
That's great. It's wonderful in fact that you were able to pay for this yourself, but SO WHAT if you're 17? You want everyone here to respect you regardless of your age, but you infer special consideration from Ed when you buy your parts from him??? Come on. You can't have both. You get treated just like the rest of us.

Quote:
Within the week, I sent the spindles. I even packed them better than Ed did when he shipped them out to me. I used those plastic air bubble things as well as newspaper wherever there wasn’t enough air bubble things. I also put on the rubber caps that go over the threads on the end of the spindles. Then I put the two individual spindle boxes into the original bigger Spindle box and sent it out.
Again, good job, but did you insure them when you went to UPS???? There's a reason it's a good idea to pay for extra insurance when you're sending items that are worth more than $100. If UPS flat-out throws your parts on the ground and runs them over with the airplane you can force them to pay you back, but only if you take the time to insure them. It's just good thinking. Would you rather be out a few bucks in extra insurance, or be out close to $300? Asking Ed to do this is rough, because in the end he'll probably will, but you have to take some responsibility for not considering insurance.

There's also some wierd contradictions between the number of times you've called him and the number of times Ed says he's been contacted, and by WHO (not necessarily you but your dad). Since that's all subjective I wish you good luck working this out, but I have a feeling Ed is going to loose the money on this deal because uninsured and expensive parts were ruined by UPS.

Quote:
Why didn't you buy with one of the many local/Washington dealers, that you could have worked with face-to-face? After all these problems...
Your solution was to go right to another out-of-state company, and work long distance again.
PICKMUP: Why the hell does this really matter? People buy from whoever offers the best price with the best resources (customer service, online catalogs, etc.) based on the information at hand, not necessarily because they're local. You can have the guy next door be the most obstinate and unhelpful guy you've ever bought from, or you can have a parts vendor willing to bend over backwards for you (as my experience dictates with ECE). Sounds like a shameless plug.

Quote:
I, for one, sell and stock a very complete selection of dropped suspension for our trucks. You could see it, touch it and get several options for your budget and needs.
Lovely. Since he already has his replacement spindles this doesn't help him in the least. It's also a real nice option if he's willing to drive to Olympia from BELLINGHAM - at least 3 hours away.

It's also easier to browse online, or have a catalog. Sorry, but once you step up to this kind of marketing you'll get more local business. You have to be willing to spend the money to compete with business like ECE if you want their business.

Quote:
No I am not trying to solicit your business, I am doing just fine...but why do you insist on giving your money to everyone except the people in business where you live?
Yes you are. If you weren't then why the rhetoric and object lesson about local vendors? Again, he obviously did his business with Ed because he chose to based on information available to him, not some stubbornness to NOT use local vendors. Gimme a break. You're good to buy from PICKMUP, but you're laying it on a little thick here in my opinion...

Sorry for the rant, but I'm getting a little tired of these feuds on the board over deals gone bad that weren't necessarily someone getting ripped off, but just poor planning and thoughtlessness. It's also hard to take a situation like this and mix up a silly argument of local vs. long distance vendors...just work together to get a solution, and THINK before you start badmouthing vendors in the hopes that it will yield a quick solution to your problem.

At the end of the day you'll just end right back where you started if you don't: out close to $300.
Seattle, WA.

Last edited by COBALT; 04-19-2004 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:13 PM   #50
PTS Kustoms

Hey 67- Pro Street I would pull your post and deal with Ed directly before something else is said and we can all put this behind. Lets get back to talking about trucks...
Closed Thread