The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2005, 05:07 PM   #26
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Whoops....sorry Purs...I missed the disclaimer on your first post. Sorry….

Me ->
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 05:10 PM   #27
Purs
Got Big Block?

no problem... I just caught ALOT of flack awhile back because I called it a serpentine setup. I switched from the v-belt for 2 reasons:1. because I kept throwing belts when I went over 6500RPM's and 2. I too thought it looked "cleaner." I've been very please with the performance and results.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #28
Purs
Got Big Block?

no problem... I just caught ALOT of flack (another board) awhile back because I called it a serpentine setup. I switched from the v-belt for 2 reasons:1. because I kept throwing belts when I went over 6500RPM's and 2. I too thought it looked "cleaner." I've been very please with the performance and results.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:34 PM   #29
Rdrdave
Broke and still trying

IMO Serps were made for people that didn't have wrenches. They just put gas in their vehicle and drive. If you can't take the time to open your hood and check v-belts let the wife drive it. Serp or not, she'll make sure you open the hood to check something.
Rdrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:30 PM   #30
race-n-jason
-Praise the Lowered-

Since were on the Subject....

For those w/ Big Blocks who are having a hard time locating a late model BBC Serpentine setup. Here's a guy selling a kit to adapt a late model SBC Serpentine Setup to a Big Block.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
race-n-jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:00 PM   #31
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Rdrdave,
Quote:
Originally Posted by race-n-jason
For those w/ Big Blocks who are having a hard time locating a late model BBC Serpentine setup. Here's a guy selling a kit to adapt a late model SBC Serpentine Setup to a Big Block.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Good grief! I think I have seen it all now. What is wrong with just buying the correct serpentine brackets for a big block? There are only two versions of the serpentine belt system for the 454 (88’-95’ & 96’-00’). My L29 454 (the latter of the two) brackets and pulleys cost me less than $150 through my local GM dealer.

I believe this guy’s concoction sorta takes away from GM engineering train of though of increasing the engine block structural integrity and lessoning noise, vibration and harshness. I have to give it to him though….it looks like he put a lot of thought and work into his concoction. Hopefully, he calculated the belt tension correctly or else a new rear alternator bearing will be needed every 10K miles or so. I certainly would not buy that kit.

Rdrdave,

I think you are entirely missing the point of this conversion as it has nothing to do with extending the life of a belt. Serp belts crack and break just as V-Belts do…..they just look better while doing it. And, yes, you do need a wrench to replace them…a 5/8 or a 16MM for the canuks.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #32
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 shorty
mrein, I've had one sieze up, and I did exactly what you said, cut the belt. However, that was about 15 years ago and it woud'nt stop me from putting a serpentine belt system on if I wanted to in the first place.
I wasn't knocking it. I was just pointing out what the old timers say about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0
and the main reason the "old" guys worry about the ac compressor seizing up is because the old ones didnt run for 3/4's of the year anything relatively newer gets cycled everytime the defrost comes on to stop the clutch from locking up and keep everything in good working order
You'll notice on older vehicles to get to defrost (winter time setting) you have to go by the AC part of your controller. This I believe was an attempt to address the fact that compressors don't run much in the winter. My two Chevelles (both with AC) have "de-ice" and "defog". De-ice runs the compressor to dehumidify the air which is blended with air off the heater core. This is the main reason why I'm putting AC in my truck. So I can keep the windows clear when it is damp.

And for the record:
I am NOT in the market for a serpentine set-up for my engine. But not because I'm worried about a component seizing up. I'm just going for the stock look under my hood.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote