The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2005, 10:23 PM   #1
TugOwar

Why serpentine?

I see alot of guys here upgrading to serpentine belt setup.
Is it just an asthetic upgrade so the engine bay looks more modern or is there performance to be gained by the upgrade? I'm curious.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:26 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

PROs
A couple ponies can be gained
the belts last 75,000 miles or so
in some ways they are easier to work on

CONs
Ugly
kinda expensive
need later model reverse rotation water pump
metric fittings on some of the accesories
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:27 PM   #3
cableguy0

serpentine systems are self adjusting last a lot longer and dont shred apart at higher rpms like v belts do. my truck eats a v belt every 6 or 8000 miles but it sees 6000rpm++ a lot.but no maintenance is the best reason for using a serp belt and you dont gotta replace it for 60k miles
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:28 PM   #4
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

I doing it so I can swith over to a newer alternator (i know I don't need serpentine to do this). The belts are autpmatically tensioned, and though I am younger than many of the people on the board I have never seen a serpentine belt fray opposed to a v-belt. But mostly to do something a bit different and clean up my engine compartment

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:12 AM   #5
TugOwar

Interesting

Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:35 AM   #6
Peregrine

We like shiny things.

Let the world change you and you will change the world.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:54 AM   #7
1972C10
Account Suspended

Ive got a Serpentine Setup For My 85 But Its Steel Brackets I Like The Brackets I Have Mainly Due To The Fact That It Puts The A/C Comp On The Passenger Side Vs. Being On The Drives Side Like It Came Factory Makes More Sense To Me TO Have The Compressor Closer To The Lines And Is Alot Cleaner IMO

One Thing About The V Belts Is If One Comes Apart Chances Are You Still Have One Spinning The Water Pump.

Last edited by 1972C10; 01-10-2005 at 05:57 AM.
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:14 AM   #8
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

The belts are much wider on a serpentine setup, so they are not going to slip as easy, so they actually have less tension on the belt which is much easier on the accesories. It's more efficient because of less friction.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:16 AM   #9
mrein3

Talk to an old school guy. They think switching to a serpentine system is nuts. Their theory is that if your AC compressor freezes up you can't just cut the belt and keep on driving.

Good theory however in 20+ years of driving ac equipped cars I've never had a compressor seize.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:12 AM   #10
TugOwar

Seems theres a couple different schools of thought here, I guess I lean toward old school for the reasons already mentioned. But I can see less tension on componants as a definate benefit.

I have had a compressor go bad, didn't seize up but the clutch started coming apart. Two minutes and a pocket knife later we were back on the road. I knew a guy in high school that lost a belt in the middle of no where, used a pair of pantyhose to make a belt and get home. Hey whatever works right?
Old 01-10-2005, 10:58 AM   #11
ksamps01

Ok. Now why was he wearing Pantyhose.

It may be ugly but at least it's slow!!
ksamps01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:05 AM   #12
dallas71

"serpentine systems are self adjusting last a lot longer and dont shred apart at higher rpms like v belts do". This statement always amazed me seeing that NASCAR still runs a v-belt and they are running 8-9k rpm all of the time....oh well to each his own
dallas71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:35 PM   #13
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

when I finally get my serpitine set up done I will make sure I have an extra belts that doesnt need to go around the compressor just in case it does seize up.

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #14
Tx Firefighter

Take it from someone who worked at a dealership. Alternators seize up about 100 times as often as AC compressors on late model GM vehicles.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:17 PM   #15
doc_rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas71
"serpentine systems are self adjusting last a lot longer and dont shred apart at higher rpms like v belts do". This statement always amazed me seeing that NASCAR still runs a v-belt and they are running 8-9k rpm all of the time....oh well to each his own
yeah, and if we changed our belts weekly, they wouldn't shred apart at higher RPM's either.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:48 PM   #16
cableguy0

gee NASCAR uses them thats wonderful but they are driving 500 miles and then changing the belts nothing matters they have deep @ss pockets so when the unbelieveably tight belt takes out the alternator bearing it doesnt matter because it never runs long enough with that part on it to wear it. on a street driven car serpentine is the best theres no way around it. if v belts are so great why did every auto manufacturer in the world switch to serpentine systems
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:49 PM   #17
cableguy0

and the main reason the "old" guys worry about the ac compressor seizing up is because the old ones didnt run for 3/4's of the year anything relatively newer gets cycled everytime the defrost comes on to stop the clutch from locking up and keep everything in good working order
Old 01-10-2005, 05:51 PM   #18
Tx Firefighter

Easy there fellows. Don't make me stop this car and seperate you.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:52 PM   #19
cableguy0

lol sorry dad
Old 01-10-2005, 11:19 PM   #20
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

I will take serpentine any day. I have converted my 78 K10 to serpentine twice….once when it had a small block and again when I swapped in the big block. I plan to do it on my 68' GMC as well.

A lot of people worry about the A/C compressor locking up and wiping the belt out. Well, if the A/C compressor does lock up, you very well may loose a serpentine belt but if the months and weeks of very audible bearing noise before the lock up did not get your attention then maybe sitting on the side of the road is well deserved.

The newer model A/C compressor the more reliable they are. The 88’ – 95’ R4 compressors were the worst (compressor in my the first pic), but will still gave you plenty of warning before they totally lock up. The later A/C compressors are 100% more reliable. (compressor in the second pic)

With serpentine you will get the minimum of 105 AMP alternator compared to a 63 AMP stock alternator for a pre-87 truck. The BB that I swapped in last summer runs 2000 model year L29 454 brackets and accessories with a 124 AMP alternator.

I personally think the serpentine system gives a much cleaner appearance than V belts, give a cool whistle noise at higher RPM’s and allows for a much more efficient A/C compressor and alternator….but like anything…everybody has their own opinion. Some people on this board still think breaker ignition and carburetors are the way to go to…..so go figure.
Attached Images

Last edited by DirtyLarry; 01-10-2005 at 11:35 PM.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:38 PM   #21
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

mrein, I've had one sieze up, and I did exactly what you said, cut the belt. However, that was about 15 years ago and it woud'nt stop me from putting a serpentine belt system on if I wanted to in the first place.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:53 PM   #22
doc_rock

ya know, at least 91-94, the Chevrolet serpentine belt system would still drive the alternator, power steering pump, water pump, smog pump, and everything else on the front of the engine even if the A/C wasn't in the loop. It wasn't very tight, and it would squeal at high RPMs, but more than enough to get you home. I lost two of 'em, and both times I followed the underhood diagram for running it without an A/C compressor. it was a bit loose, but it was enough to make it home. (once in a 91 -10, once in a 94 suburban)

I agree with Dirty Larry, though. If you listen to the bearings whine for that long, you deserve (as I did) to be walking.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:30 PM   #23
Purs
Got Big Block?

I don't think it's ugly, but that's just my opinion. (Yes, I know it's not a TRUE serpentine setup.)
Attached Images

Last edited by Purs; 01-11-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Purs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #24
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

I don’t think serpentine is ugly either. It looks much cleaner to me.

Purs, you don’t have a serpentine system. You have a V-belt system running a late 80's multi-groove belt….still look good though.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 05:04 PM   #25
Purs
Got Big Block?

"(Yes, I know it's not a TRUE serpentine setup.)"