The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #26
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Re: What to paint frame with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
A friend of mine painted his '50 Chevy with Blitz Black and so far it's holding up great......

LockDoc
I must admit it looks appealing…..There are lots of pictures on the link on my second post of old Hot Rods and there’s a 50’s Chevy too. Wonder if it’s his?
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:49 PM   #27
jlaird

Re: What to paint frame with?

I just got through with this. After all is said and done, I would powder coat in a blink of an eye. The only down side of powdercoat is cost, and depending on where you live, it's cheaper in certain areas than others. However, after you add up the cost of paint, other supplies which add up, and your time, powder coat is a nice proposition. And for me, the best part of the deal is a frame delivered with no paint fumes and ready to be assembled vs waiting for paint to dry. These por15 type paints won't reach full hardness for 7 days. One other thing that is a given with powdercoat is they sandblast it. ALL the rust will be GONE!

Now....would I powdercoat a dailydriver? Probably not unless you get a smokin deal on the powder coat.

I just had my frame and a BUNCH of parts at the powdercoater. I ended up picking up all the crossmembers and misc parts and just have them do the frame. WHAT A MISTAKE. I probably ended up spending just as much painting these parts myself after buying all the paint, supplies, and water traps for compressed air. Yes I sprayed the paint. I started brushing the PM industries (nomorerust.com) paint and I did not like the way it looked. I used the recommended foam brushes and still got brush marks and some drips. If you are picky like me, nothing beats the look of sprayed finish.

I used the PM industries and por 15. I wanted to try both. They are similar and honestly can't recommend one over the other. Both are two part systems which require A LOT of time on your end. The PM industries has a silver primer which is awesome and then you follow it up with the AG111 which is a UV topcoat. The POR 15 is basically your primer and then you topcoat it with their POR Chassiscoat Black which is also UV resistant.

The other determining factor is do you have a place to do this yourself? For me, I have an attached garage and it is the middle of winter so I couldn't have the overhead garage doors open, or couldn't do it outside for that matter. I started brushing stuff in the garage(I only had windows open because its winter) and my family had to evacuate the house for the night. I am not kidding. It sucked.

So to summarize my novel here, if you have a place to do it, have the frame sandblasted and spray your product of choice! JMHO

Here is a pic of my frame:

Last edited by jlaird; 02-13-2008 at 11:52 PM.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote