The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #26
dsy1

Re: Hidden spare + no cab tank + 20 gallon capacity = reality?

Try the junk yards for the saddle tanks many of these trucks added on, keep the spare in the normal location. Two saddle tanks could be 18 gallons each.
dsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #27
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy1 View Post
Try the junk yards for the saddle tanks many of these trucks added on, keep the spare in the normal location. Two saddle tanks could be 18 gallons each.
Oh no! Don't put them outside the frame rail, they could explode! I'm half joking, but inside the frame rail is safer.

I'd like all the perks the OP is talking about and have a solution I'll implement eventually. Pair of tanks on either side of the driveshaft, run the exhaust outside the frame rail and exit in front of the rear wheels. I'll make a driveshaft loop and run the fuel lines to connect the tanks around the driveshaft loop. Not sure if one will gravity feed the other or if I'll use the fuel pump and sensors that C5 corvettes use to keep the level equal in both of its fuel tanks. Planning on having around 25 gallons total capacity, one of the tanks will be fed by the stock filler and the spare tire in the rear.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #28
special-K
Special Order

You'll wait a lot longer than 45 minutes using AAA when you don't have a spare for them to mount
Quote:
Originally Posted by freak View Post
...as the OP... What I was looking for was to free up room in the cab. I'd rather have speakers back there than a gas tank or a tire.
I totally understand, now that you told me. I want speakers back there, too. Lots of people talking about space savers behind the seat. That member offered up what space saver to look for but not where to put it. That's what you are looking for, where to mount it. If you're just putting it the bed there's no need for a space saver.

That idea to go in front of the wheel house is the best idea. I was going to use a Suburban well but it was more work that I wanted to do

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-19-2016 at 05:46 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #29
CK67

Not really a great pic but you see part of the tank behind cab where it will be mounted to flat bed. If you don't need bed space put tank there.
Attached Images

CK67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #30
Rannoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
You fab guys could fabricate a cup-shaped holder for this spare tire, one that allowed water to drain out the bottom. I think Suburbans had something like that, to hold the spare in the back of the vehicle.
Suburbans (at least 1990/91) have this but no water drain without removing a rubber plug.
Rannoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:23 PM   #31
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rannoch View Post
Suburbans (at least 1990/91) have this but no water drain without removing a rubber plug.
That might be a great option, perhaps find one of those and decide what to do about the rubber plug.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote