The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2005, 12:09 PM   #26
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Timing Problem

Go to the local parts shop/speed shop and look at the selection of pointers that are sold for an aftermarket application. Of course, by now you have measured your harmonic balancer for what size you have. The pointer tab mounts onto the two bolts on the timing chain cover that are on the driver's side of the engine just above and to the right of the dampener.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:05 AM   #27
autobodyman2

I may have found the problem finally. pulled the timing cover off and the spots on the gears do not line up. the cam one is at 12 and the crank at about 1. Now then, i have a harmonic balancer with about 4-5 grooves in it. that requires at timing cover with a peice of metal on it at 12 oclock under the water pump correct? If so, Where could i buy one of these?
autobodyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:00 PM   #28
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Try rotating the engine to where the cam gear is at 6:00 and the crank is at 12:00 to see if they line up. If they do line up, this isn't the problem.

I've never seen a stock balancer with several marks on it. I think you PM'd me and said you had a 7" balancer. This isn't stock either. Stock balancers are 6-3/4" and 8". So are you sure it's exactly 7". The timing tab which is at 12 was built in to the timing cover on stock 305's. Looks like maybe someone used a stock 305 balancer or even an aftermarket one. I couldn't say without seeing it in person.

Looks to me like you need to start at the beginning. First thing is to make sure the gear marks line up like I said above, cam at 6:00 and crank at 12:00. This is TDC on cylinder number 6, but this doesn't matter since the balancer mark is in the correct place. Now get a pointer that bolts to the timing cover for the size balancer you have. Once the pointer is on, make a mark on the balancer in line with Zero on the pointer. Now rotate the engine one full turn clockwise from the front back to zero once again which will be TDC for number 1 cylinder. The rotor should now be pointing exactly at number 1 tower on the cap. If not, pull the distributor and line it up. Now to start the engine, rotate the distributor counterclockwise a little so you will have some advance. Once running, unhook and plug the vacuum advance hose and use a timing light to set everything properly. No way you can time a engine by ear and get it right.

If this all works, don't forget to make a permanent mark on the balancer for future reference. If by chance the gear marks won't line up, it means one of a couple things. Either someone didn't time it right in the beginning or it has jumped.

What I just got through typing is what I would do. All these guessing games will drive you nuts.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:41 PM   #29
autobodyman2

Thank you swervin ervin for all your help. The balancer is indeed a 6 3/4. I will check out the timing marks on the gears. Would autozone sell a timing cover with the peice of metal on it i need to time it right? Someone has made a yellow mark on the balancer in one of the grooves, so when i get it all back together, thats where i will start.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:11 PM   #30
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

You have three options. One is to change timing covers since as I said, it's spot welded to the cover at 12:00. You could go junkyard hunting and get one off a junk 305. Probably a million of them things laying around in junkyards.

Second is to change balancers and get one that works with the pointer at the 2:00 position. Then you could use a regular bolt on pointer for the size balancer you have.

Third is to keep your balancer and timing cover and just get a bolt on pointer for the 6-3/4" balancer. Then find TDC like I described above by lining up the marks on the gears and make a mark on the balancer at zero on the pointer.

Either way you do it you need to make sure of TDC with the cam/crank gears like I described above. My vote is to do the third one. Way too easy.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:09 PM   #31
autobodyman2

alright. Do you know if they make bolt on ones that sit on the 12 o clock position? all the aftermarket ones that i have seen all sit at the 2 o clock?
Old 11-26-2005, 10:10 PM   #32
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobodyman2
alright. Do you know if they make bolt on ones that sit on the 12 o clock position? all the aftermarket ones that i have seen all sit at the 2 o clock?
No they sure don't.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:55 PM   #33
autobodyman2

so i will need to find a 305 timing cover with a mark already on it correct? does this limit the possibilites of what year engine this is because of the 12 oclock position of tdc?
Old 11-27-2005, 12:04 AM   #34
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

No, you don't have to find another timing cover. Read what I posted above again.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 11-27-2005, 12:17 AM   #35
autobodyman2

well I already have a timing tab for the 2 o clock position. I was thinking that putting a new balancer, with the new marks on it was impossible because tdc would be in a different place, am i wrong here. maybe that what i will do....
Old 11-27-2005, 09:35 AM   #36
jberkeley
86 chevy k-10

i had the same problem not that long ago, what i did, bring eng. to tdc, then pulled distr. pointed towards #1, rewired plugs, turned the key and it fired first try, runs better now than when the engine was first installed....before i tried that, i could not start it..brought it to several shops, they just said leave it alone after getting it started.. but it ran like crap..... so i guess if you want it done right do it your self.. also had to remark ballancer, it times perfect...... good luck..