The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #26
Shyguy

Re: Where did your love of 67-72's come from?

Here is my story and I am sticking to it. I guess it was 1975, I had been without a truck for a few years and needed something to pull my father-in-laws Dorsett cabin cruiser to the Sacramento Delta for fishing and skiing so I picked up a '72 GMC 3/4 ton pickup.

We had that truck until 1990 or so when I sold it to my brother-in-law. The only work I ever had to do to it was replace the clutch and a new exhaust system. We had many good times camping and boating with that truck.

My son has owned a 67-72 truck since I can remember. A few years ago my son found a 71 C-10 for a good price so I picked it up do drive for nostalgia.

Now we spend many hours working on and talking about these old trucks.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #27
cparman
sharp as a marble

I was 12 when my dad let me drive his company truck. 67 three on the tree stepside. Can't you just imagine the thrill of a 12 yr old kid, stalling the truck, chugging the next time!!! My dad was so cool! he would just sit in the passenger side and say " come on boy, I know you can do it " My best and fondest memories are of me and him just hangin'. He also had a dune buggy. We would leave our shop, and stop at Mary's bar, get two beers and go to the beach. Sit and talk like two grown men, drive up and down the beach for an hour or so. Then go home and tell me " get in the house and take a shower and do not let your momma smell the beer". I have not talked to my dad in 25 years. I miss him - - -
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #28
cerjio

My first vehicle an the early age of 17 was a 71 c 10 307 an 3ott, bronse, which had more fun in then was legal ,but being a country boy It went thru fields , rock quarrys, did burnouts, an could hang a corner on a country road with the greatest of ease. Sadly it got totaled when I loaned it to a friend .

It caused alot of problems between my Dad an I, an we argued over it several times over the years. But after he passed away he left an old tractor which I traded for a 70 chevy c10 which I am in the process of putting back together, an hopefully will get to drive soon , THANKS DAD !!!
first burn out will be for you !
cerjio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #29
JJorgensen52
Simple? What's simple?

Grew up in a family full of tinkerers, there were always old cars and trucks coming and going, and I always wanted one of my own. Fell in love with a '69 Blazer on the cover of 4Wheelr when I was about 12 - fast forward 10 years, finally had the money and the luck to find one of my own!
'66 Impala SS convertible 327-QJet-glide (4 speed swap one of these days...) Photos
'69 CST/10 4x4 SWB Stepper 350 2bbl - NV4500/NP241C (Broken Truck!)
'72 Sierra Grande 2WD LWB fleetside 350-TH350 Refresh
'99 K2500 Silverado RCLB 5.7 Vortec - NV4500/NP241C (Daily)
'99 K2500 Suburban 7.4 Vortec - NV4500/NP246 (still working out the bugs)
SOLD
'71 Custom/10 2WD LWB fleetside - '72 GMC K/3500 Dually (Sold to redryder)
JJorgensen52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #30
4LUG39

Blacky (grandfather) was on the way to the hospital to see my mother who was in labor with me in 1969. His '57 chevy truck blew a head gasket on the way to Austin. Some farmer stopped and asked if he needed any help. Blacky told him sure "a ride to the chevy dealership". He bought a '69 SWB 307 W/3 on the tree. He made it about an hour before I was born in his brand new truck. I now own that truck. It went from Blacky to my dad to my uncle and then to me. 41 years and still in the family. Also when I was a kid my dad bought a '71 Gold and white Cheyenne, Big block/Auto with A/C. I remember sitting in his lap and driving around the Piggly wiggly parking lot by our house. Blacky still has the '57 and My dad still has his '71 both now completely restored. So I guess I was cursed or blessed form the get go.

James

69 SWB Fleetside 327/5spd
76 blazer 383/700R4
95 2Dr Tahoe 5.7 4x4 LT
4LUG39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #31
calgary72

I used my life savings in 1978 when I was in my last year of high school to pay $875 for a yellow and white 72 lwb auto 350. I bought white spoke mags and wide tires and I loved that truck. I always had dreams of fixing it up but never had the money. I kept the truck for 10 years and sold it for $750 and had put 100k miles on it. Sadly I can't find any photos of the truck.

Fast forward 25 ish years later and I bought a 72 swb 4wd that I looked for years for. It was a 50th birthday present for myself. I convinced my wife to buy it by telling her that my mid life crisis could be solved either by buying a truck or getting a girlfriend and she went for the truck thing. I love my truck, er I mean I love my wife...
calgary72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #32
pat 70/71

When I was twelve years old my dad took me to our local chevy dealer (courtesy chevrolet) here in cali, he told me that he wanted me to pick out his first new truck! as we walked the lot I saw a 3/4 ton fully loaded hugger orange/white truck it was the coolest thing I had ever seen ! so I said I like that one pointing at it and my dad said its a deal! great memories ! as I remember we were out of there in one hour!! try that today! on the way home my dad took me to get a hamburger and talk about our new truck! That was 40 years ago my dad has pasted on, so thank you for this topic it made me think of and remember my great dad who taught me all the life lessons and how to work on these wonderful trucks! RIP Paddy! cheers, Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:51 PM   #33
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Just to get the record straight, I graduated from High School in 1964. We weren't poor. But we weren't rich, either. I had a decent car. A 2-door Buick with a 322 V-8 and 3 on the tree. It was sorta like a 210 business coupe.
The really, really nice cars back then (still are) were 55-57 Chevys and Model "A"'s with 348 or a 327 or whatever V-8 a person shoe-horned into them.

I never finished a 29 "A", and burned through a '52 Deluxe Chevy and a bunch of other oddballs. Never knowing that when I got older, I'd mortgage my lifestyle for cars and bikes.

I built about 18 bikes, but always wanted a hot rod. Never really had the dough. Three girls needed college money, etc. But I kept up the bike thing well enough to show a couple of them. Won a nice prize in Vallejo in '93 and called that quits. But the grease is in the blood.
So, my wife and I built the '72. It was done in March of '04 and I was lucky to get a garage-built truck some ink in the mag. I stupidly sold it to pay something or other off.

Now, I'm retired. I had a few bucks laying around...so I decided that I needed to get poor again.

Build in progress.
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 10-29-2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Added the YouTube
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #34
extremesounds13

My dad had a blue and white 72 chevy back when I was about ten, he had it for a long time and I have been hooked since then. My brother has been hooked on these trucks to for the same reason.
extremesounds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:05 AM   #35
gearys 5600

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat 70/71 View Post
When I was twelve years old my dad took me to our local chevy dealer (courtesy chevrolet) here in cali, he told me that he wanted me to pick out his first new truck! as we walked the lot I saw a 3/4 ton fully loaded hugger orange/white truck it was the coolest thing I had ever seen ! so I said I like that one pointing at it and my dad said its a deal! great memories ! as I remember we were out of there in one hour!! try that today! on the way home my dad took me to get a hamburger and talk about our new truck! That was 40 years ago my dad has pasted on, so thank you for this topic it made me think of and remember my great dad who taught me all the life lessons and how to work on these wonderful trucks! RIP Paddy! cheers, Pat

GREAT story...Thanks for sharing..

1969 custom/10 swb--SOLD
1968 swb 50th anniv.--SOLD
1967 camaro ss/rs..LS-6-speed, 16-year long project
1956 chevy nomad
1955 chevy 210 2-dr sedan
1978 el-camino ss 1-owner
gearys 5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:28 AM   #36
67chevylongbed

My grandpa had a 67 C20 when I was 6, and I LOVED that truck. He parked it and got a new car, and every time I went over there I would sit in it and pretend to drive it and I wanted it so bad. About a year later he sold it to his neighbor and I was crushed. My grandpa passed back in 2006 and I wanted to get that truck and restore it. When I was looking for a C10, I offered to buy it off of him and he refused to sell it, so I got another 67. 2 months after that, the guy got rid of it Any who, that's how I got hooked on these trucks.

1967 C10 LWB SOLD....

1995 Ford F-250 4x4 Powerstroke, 342k

"Each generation goes further than the generation preceding it because it stands on the shoulders of that generation. You will have opportunities beyond anything we've ever known."
-Ronald Reagan
67chevylongbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:40 AM   #37
Cisco714

I don't think my story is half as interesting as all of yours but here it goes. My Dad has basically worked for a GMC truck dealer for about 30 odd years or so (Hardin in Anaheim) He started off in the transmission department and still works there. So I remember being a kid and he would bring home these beat up C10\C20 and wrench away on them for hours on end, and I remember asking him "why in the world would anybody put money into this things". His answer was "you're too young to understand the respect and trust these truck owners put into they're pick ups". Boy was I naive. So now I'm a proud owner of a 1971 C20 that we're working on together. Man does that bring back some memories....... Thank you very much for starting this thread.
Cisco714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:51 AM   #38
calgary72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
I was 12 when my dad let me drive his company truck. 67 three on the tree stepside. Can't you just imagine the thrill of a 12 yr old kid, stalling the truck, chugging the next time!!! My dad was so cool! he would just sit in the passenger side and say " come on boy, I know you can do it " My best and fondest memories are of me and him just hangin'. He also had a dune buggy. We would leave our shop, and stop at Mary's bar, get two beers and go to the beach. Sit and talk like two grown men, drive up and down the beach for an hour or so. Then go home and tell me " get in the house and take a shower and do not let your momma smell the beer". I have not talked to my dad in 25 years. I miss him - - -
I posted the story of my first '72 chev above and until I read this post, I forgot that my dad taught me to drive in a '69 GMC. I know, how could I forget that?! Old age, I guess.... Anyway, the truck was originally a red lwb stepside. My dad found a fleetside box and replace the stepside with the fleetside (more room for hay bales). Problem was that the fleetside box was green. We had this 'Christmas' red and green truck for years. Everyone around new it was our truck so there was no living under the radar!

Anyway, the truck was a 4 speed and when I was about 12 years old my dad let me try to drive the truck in the hay field. I'm sure I stalled the truck at least 100 times in a row before I got it moving. Couldn't seem to lift my foot off the clutch without bringing my foot off the gas. My dad just sat there patiently, and let me get through that and after what seemed like forever, I was able to drive!

A few years later I was driving the same truck and decided to do some 'speed shifting'. Well, when the universal joints are loose, you can twist off the driveshaft! (I found that out). I had to walk a couple of miles home and then drag it back with another truck. When I told my dad, I also told him that I would go to the auto wreckers and get a drive shaft and fix it. No yelling, just the 'your bad, you fix it' look. We had the truck for years after that. He still has a '67 one ton that we changed out from a 6 to a V8 about 30 years ago after a nut from the aircleaner went though a cylinder in the 6.

My oldest son is now 14 and last weekend we went driving with my manual vw. I have told him the story about stalling the truck 100 times often and he knew that was a challenge. He got moving on the first try and made me proud.

I am lucky that my dad is still around. He is almost 86 and still farming. He hasn't seen my new '72 truck yet. When he does I will remind him of the 100 stalls in a row....
Old 10-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #39
stich626
Account Suspended

mine is from the lack of the e.p.a. to make emmission rules and stick with them..
these mostly don't have that issue of what you do today and is legal on public roads maynot be in the future..
I like the 87 body better, but to play with them, you're at the mercy of the epa rules and they can't keep them the same year to year..
to drop a bbc in one and get a sticker would be a nightmare,,
did that with my 82 t/a tailpipes as clean as a 1999 t/a but because I moved the converters and tossed the air pump plumb'n it failed..
cleaner than it had to be but failed anyways..
I swore I'd never deal with that crap again..
e.p.a. and common sense are not in the same room..
so I like the 67-68 body but couldn't find one , but found a 71 that needed tlc..
the 71 also had disc, saving on an upgrade..
I'd have really liked a 55-57 but, out of my price range for one that didn't need tons of work..
now with the cost of a new truck and the insurance/payments,, an old truck makes tons more sense..
I want another with a inline for a daily
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:46 AM   #40
sean1969c10

When I was a kid in the mid-eighties, My Cub Scout leaders husband had a 72, it was two tone bronze and white. Once and a while my buddy and I would have to go somewhere with his dad and we would get to ride in that truck. Later I learned to drive in my Grandfathers 76 long bed on his farm. Then to seal the deal I have a friend that has a 69 short bed with a 396 that I would drive from time to time, so I just had to have one. Mine has been a long term project that life keeps putting on the back burner, but I have an 88 GMC DD so it's not all bad!!!
sean1969c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #41
flips72

my dad, no doubt about it. he had several of these trucks, a green and white 70, a blue and white 72, among others but the one i got to drive was a primered 69 that was bent on every corner, long bed,283 three on the tree,which you spent more time under the hood un hanging gears than driving, but man i thought i was cool, great memories, thanks for the thread, really enjoyed it. dads been gone 11 years now cant wait to see him again.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #42
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

An accident really. I have always been interested in all kinds (and brands) of cars. I got interested in trucks when I moved back from Japan in the late 80s. Eventually (2002) I got to the point where I could have some time, money, and space for a project vehicle. I was interested in 50s model F1s, F100s, or the 47-55 GM trucks. I just happen onto my 70 through a friend in church. The price was right and it just kinda grabbed me. Been hooked since then.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #43
Danny Bost

On new years eve 1971 my Dad bought a brand new 1972 K5 Blazer. I grew up in that truck and always did love it. In 1980 he gave me the truck to drive ( I was a sophomore in high school). The truck was still in near perfect condition at that time and only had about 90K miles. I drove it for about a year and then he approached me and asked if I was OK if he sold it. He had always wanted to go to Alaska and he had a chance to trade it for a motor home, of sorts, that would allow us to go. We traded it off and had a great trip. It was about 15 years before I got another one, but I still have my love for them. I have also passed this love on. My 21 year old son has a 1971 Jimmy that we are rebuilding in addition to my 71 C10.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #44
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Man these storys are great. Keep em coming. Its great just to sit and read how some of you guys are life long 67-72 chevy lovers.
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #45
swamp rat

My Step Dad bought this truck when it was about 3 years old and i was in Jr High school and i fell in love with it the first time i saw it, it had very unusual steel white wheel design and white bumper and mirrors and origional light green paint, I know someday i was gonna have to pry that truck out of his grasp. I was driving it in town one day when in high school and came across one of my friends and he looked at me in the truck in that parking lot and said "Your a truck man, that truck fits you" i just had to agree.

I finally had my chance in ether 93 or 94 i cant remember exactly, i was able to talk myself into the truck for good, it had 88000. origional miles on her, right not its about 140000. so here we are today, i did give the truck a mild rebuild of about 325 hp with an rv cam shortly after i bought it even tho it ran just fine, also different wheels and larger tires but to date thats it besides the interior color change i'm currenty working on.

I see one common denominater in this thread, about 98% of us got the chevy truck itch from a family member!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 10-30-2010 at 05:29 PM.
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #46
BearFlagRepublic

My story isn't nearly as great or heart warming

I actually owned a Dodge Mini Truck when I turned 16 and while I loved it for what it was I always loved seeing the older trucks in my Truckin' and Mini Truckin' magazines. There was one 68 I believe, a red one that I think had caddy tails and a chromed out engine bay with a 454 (could be wrong, it was almost 10 years ago.) From that moment on I fell in love with this era trucks and had to have one when my budget would allow. Now that I have one I can't wait to fix it up.
BearFlagRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:18 PM   #47
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bost View Post
On new years eve 1971 my Dad bought a brand new 1972 K5 Blazer. I grew up in that truck and always did love it. In 1980 he gave me the truck to drive ( I was a sophomore in high school). The truck was still in near perfect condition at that time and only had about 90K miles. I drove it for about a year and then he approached me and asked if I was OK if he sold it. He had always wanted to go to Alaska and he had a chance to trade it for a motor home, of sorts, that would allow us to go. We traded it off and had a great trip. It was about 15 years before I got another one, but I still have my love for them. I have also passed this love on. My 21 year old son has a 1971 Jimmy that we are rebuilding in addition to my 71 C10.
I know what you mean about passing it on. My 12 year old son loves my truck and i will hand him the keys when he's ready or maybe he will end up with the 68.......
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #48
7dguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdp67 View Post
That's funny! My wife thinks a man has "midlife crisis" and women have "menopause" She refuses to believe it's mental and not physical. I'm on my 3rd one now!
Third wife or third truck?
7dguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #49
sweetnlow67

mine was actually by accident, i got my tax return several years ago and it was about $1000 and i had wanted a truck to work on for a long time, i had searched craigslist looking for a 55-56 chevy truck and happened to come across my first 72 gmc lwb for $900 and i bought it and once i got it homeand started messing with it i never looked back, i am now building my 67 chevy swb and everyday i work on it i love it more and more
sweetnlow67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #50
red71c10
The Red Menace

My Dad's '68 3/4 ton. We went everywhere and did everything in that truck. Hunting, fishing, camping etc... Always loved that truck and had to get one of my own when the time was right. Had my own '68 C20 for a while, but now have the '71 C10 that I am very happy with!

"Driving is like coloring. Things get messy if you can't stay inside the lines."
red71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote